Most Favored Spyderco Collaborator(s) To Return?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Most Favored Spyderco Collaborator(s) To Return?

Post by kobold »

I am not knowledgeable enough about past collabs, but I know I would like to see one with Tom Mayo.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yowzer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:46 pm
Chad Los Banos. He moved on to Boker after the Lava, but I'd love to see more of his small knives with the Spydie touch.

More from the guy who did the Hundred Pacer, too.
When he does show up here to the Forum from time to time he goes by the forum name "Daywalker". And I bet several people here would like to see another version of the LAVA model. I think Chad also did a couple of models with Boker if I remember correctly.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Adding Schempp to my answer earlier. Just got a tuff. I am impressed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:57 am
yowzer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:46 pm
Chad Los Banos. He moved on to Boker after the Lava, but I'd love to see more of his small knives with the Spydie touch.

More from the guy who did the Hundred Pacer, too.
When he does show up here to the Forum from time to time he goes by the forum name "Daywalker". And I bet several people here would like to see another version of the LAVA model. I think Chad also did a couple of models with Boker if I remember correctly.
Yep. And since he jumped ship to go over to Boker, the chances of him getting another chance with Spyderco are pretty slim.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Adding Schempp to my answer earlier. Just got a tuff. I am impressed.
There are so many Ed Schempp models to consider. The Barong would be one model I would be inclined to lobby for. I've often wondered what that model would be like in full SE.
olywa

Post by olywa »

One of my fave older Spydies is the Ocelot. It has aged well and I think it'd be a knockout if resurrected as an FRN LW. Biggest knocks are the paw prints collect garbage and its pretty handle heavy, otherwise a stellar design. The Ocelot is a Wegner design.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

olywa wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:37 am
One of my fave older Spydies is the Ocelot. It has aged well and I think it'd be a knockout if resurrected as an FRN LW. Biggest knocks are the paw prints collect garbage and its pretty handle heavy, otherwise a stellar design. The Ocelot is a Wegner design.
That was a Tim Wegner design and I'm extremely doubtful if Spyderco could arrange any more collaborations with Mr. Wegner being that he owns and runs his own company i.e. blade-tech.com

But I also liked Mr. Wegner's designs. I sold one of my older C-48 Spyderco Wegner models to a hunting buddy and he still to this day brags about how much he likes it. I would think that Spyderco would have made a move in that area already if it were to happen. But who knows for sure except the general?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

It's not from the era listed in the OP, but I'd love to see a Phil Wilson Sprig in K390.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
marshy

Post by marshy »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:59 pm
It's not from the era listed in the OP, but I'd love to see a Phil Wilson Sprig in K390.
^ This +1000

Would love to see Spyderco bring back the Sprig and South Fork!
...perhaps both in MagnaCut?
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I also would like to see anything Phil Wilson. One of my biggest regrets is not picking up a Sprig.
marshy

Post by marshy »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:14 pm
I also would like to see anything Phil Wilson. One of my biggest regrets is not picking up a Sprig.
I'm in the same boat. At the time, finances only allowed me to pick up a South Fork. If given the chance now, I'd pick up a few of each to last me a lifetime :winking-tongue
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

marshy wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:32 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. At the time, finances only allowed me to pick up a South Fork. If given the chance now, I'd pick up a few of each to last me a lifetime :winking-tongue
Boy the SOUTHFORK in a newer/better blade steel would be an awesome treat. They haven't done enough Sprint Runs of fixed blades as it is. I'm still not giving up on the hopes of a TEMPERANCE 1 Sprint Run in SE & PE.

No argument here concerning the resurrection of any of Phil Wilson's stuff.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Phil Wilson enjoys hunting, but IMHO his fillet knives reign supreme. He only does 4-5 knives per month and is no longer taking custom orders. It would be so nice If Sal did a collaboration with Phil to forever memorialize his genius. Two different sizes would be nice but if only one, then 7" wouldn't be so bad. :smiling-heart-eyes
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:00 pm
Phil Wilson enjoys hunting, but IMHO his fillet knives reign supreme. He only does 4-5 knives per month and is no longer taking custom orders. It would be so nice If Sal did a collaboration with Phil to forever memorialize his genius. Two different sizes would be nice but if only one, then 7" wouldn't be so bad. :smiling-heart-eyes
I've never yet tried one of Phil Wilson's Fillet Knives. I've got a nice selection of Spyderco Catcherman models that I love to work with. But at some point I will seek out one of his knives.

If you really like Fillet knives that much I might suggest you to take a look at the fillet knives made by "Knives Of Alaska". I don't own any of their blades but I have used one of their fillet knives and they are superb IMO.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Already been there, but thanks for the suggestion. :smlling-eyes
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Michael Walker the C22, Ed Schempp, the Persian and Terzuola’s Starmate should all be revived. New designs by any of these would be welcome.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:23 pm
Michael Walker the C22, Ed Schempp, the Persian and Terzuola’s Starmate should all be revived. New designs by any of these would be welcome.
I really like that there are several fans of Michael Walker that are chiming in >> The Swiss Knife company known as KLOTZLI that I'm also a fan of has several knives in their line up that Michael Walker designed. I think that Mr. Walker also designed a fixed blade for them too.

It's been some time since Phil Boguszewski passed away but for years I was hoping that Spyderco at some point would do a collaboration with him. Probably not possible anymore.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Would love to see another Jonathan McNees design, as well as Serge Panchenko. Would also like to see a collab with Ian Pickarski of CMF Metalworks.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:55 am
marshy wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:32 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Boy the SOUTHFORK in a newer/better blade steel would be an awesome treat. They haven't done enough Sprint Runs of fixed blades as it is. I'm still not giving up on the hopes of a TEMPERANCE 1 Sprint Run in SE & PE.

No argument here concerning the resurrection of any of Phil Wilson's stuff.
Count me in for a Phil Wilson revival or new model! A new Southfork or Sprig, and upgraded Bow River, or something we haven't seen yet.

After the amazing Swayback, I'd also love to see more Slysz collaborations.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

J D Smith pleaseeeee ! The last run is impossible to find and when I do blink their gone . Wish for a upgrade in steel, any color scales but polished green Micarta would be nice . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau