About that food prep ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: About that food prep ...

Post by vivi »

Same. I've never made a habit of it, but like others said sometimes a pocket knife is handy for cutting food up for a kid. I've never had anyone care that I cut up food for my kid, but then again where I live you'll sometimes see people OC handguns at dinner so a little folder isn't even going to register on most peoples radar.
:unicorn
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 am
I just can't imagine eating anything with a knife I cut rubber, rope, cardboard, plastic, come in contact with nasty papermaking residue that comes in contact with who knows what chemicals to at times as well. Even giving one of my knives a cleaning and then using it with food just gives me a funny feeling, making the food less appealing.

I could not agree more. That is why I have never used a folder to prepare food when I am at home. It would seem the same to me as drinking from a canteen when I walk from the bedroom to the kitchen ... :D

When I go hiking I always carry in my bag an additional folding knife that I only use for food prep. In the photo it can be seen next to a Delica for size comparison. It has a long and narrow blade, perfect for preparing food (at least the food that I prepare). I would love Spyderco to make a similar type of knife.

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Menipo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I just can't imagine eating anything with a knife I cut rubber, rope, cardboard, plastic, come in contact with nasty papermaking residue that comes in contact with who knows what chemicals to at times as well. Even giving one of my knives a cleaning and then using it with food just gives me a funny feeling, making the food less appealing.

I could not agree more. That is why I have never used a folder to prepare food when I am at home. It would seem the same to me as drinking from a canteen when I walk from the bedroom to the kitchen ... :D

When I go hiking I always carry in my bag an additional folding knife that I only use for food prep. In the photo it can be seen next to a Delica for size comparison. It has a long and narrow blade, perfect for preparing food (at least the food that I prepare). I would love Spyderco to make a similar type of knife.

That's a nice option to carry! Really like that slim design and long blade.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:00 pm
Same. I've never made a habit of it, but like others said sometimes a pocket knife is handy for cutting food up for a kid. I've never had anyone care that I cut up food for my kid, but then again where I live you'll sometimes see people OC handguns at dinner so a little folder isn't even going to register on most peoples radar.

It reminds me of an anecdote that a good friend, who is a high-ranking official in our Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told me .

Years ago our ambassador in a Middle Eastern country asked the Ministry for urgent additional protection for the interior of the embassy because in that country there was a pre-civil war situation and he did not trust the local soldiers who were protecting the outer perimeter from outside. In the event of an assault by a crowd they might leave or even help them to enter the premises of the embassy.

As military personnel could not be sent so as not to hurt the sensitivity of the local government (it would have been a sign of mistrust and they would have been offended) they decided to send civil police, so two SWAT squads were sent overnight. But since they would be searched upon arrival, they were unable to carry their weapons with them.

My friend had to manage to discreetly send a dozen Glocks hidden in the diplomatic pouch. Upon arrival, the head of the group of cops called the Ministry informing that the (local) employee of the embassy in charge of opening and closing the outer gate of the complex had an AK47 hanging on him and the gardener an Uzi.... So in case things got really messy, the cops with their handguns would have been something akin to you cutting your son's food with your Native Chief, surrounded by folks OC Colts 45

After a couple of calls to Washington, the contingent of Marines protecting the US embassy were kind enough to lend them a dozen M16s with their corresponding ammunition and accessories ...
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:11 pm
Menipo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

That's a nice option to carry! Really like that slim design and long blade.

It's a typical and classic Spanish navaja used by most people (who carry a knife) here.

So when I show them a knife with a round hole in a blade three times wider than what they're used to, it looks pretty weird to them. :o :D
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wonder how many pocket knife nerds are also kitchen knife nerds

Seems to be only a small overlap

I don't see Spyderco/murray carter culinary knives flying off the shelves
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Menipo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:29 pm
Story above ^
What a hoot of a story, Minipo. Thanks for posting it!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:37 pm
Menipo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:29 pm
Story above ^
What a hoot of a story, Minipo. Thanks for posting it!

You're welcome, Bolster. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
Matus

Post by Matus »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm
I wonder how many pocket knife nerds are also kitchen knife nerds

Seems to be only a small overlap

I don't see Spyderco/murray carter culinary knives flying off the shelves
I also think the overlap is small. Akso, I think there are many more pocket & outdoor knife enthusiasts, than kitchen knife enthusiasts.

I read that the Spyderco/Carter colab knives are full flat grind, that will not get many kitchen knife enthusiasts particularly excited. I am saying that as someone who used a knife made by Murray Carter himself for a few years.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you call yourself a knife geek and you don’t own a Japanese laser then you need to get one. This ain’t even a super expensive knife but it is R2/Super Gold and the grind is crazy thin. I can’t do this with any folder I own.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm
If you call yourself a knife geek and you don’t own a Japanese laser then you need to get one. This ain’t even a super expensive knife but it is R2/Super Gold and the grind is crazy thin. I can’t do this with any folder I own.

https://i.imgur.com/eJTnLJr.mp4
Ok now I want to pick the sharpest folder in my drawer and try that :D

You hear the samurai story about the katana so sharp you could plunge it into a river and it'd slice through leaves coming down stream?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Yowza!! THAT is impressive.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Pshaw! I can do that with any of my folders (...after I screw and glue the grape to the cutting board). Very cool video, Bear, I've now got a new standard to attain.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Nah, you only need a properly sharpened and reasonably thin cutting edge for that, the knife does not need to be a laser. Most folders will struggle though because of much thicker edges.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
bearfacedkiller

Well yeah, by laser I meant a properly sharpened knife with a thin grind. This knife is thinner at the edge and thinner 1/4 behind the edge than an opinel. It has about 1.3mm stock. I can say that I did have issues with durability with it at first but through sharpening I have seemed to work it out. I could do this easily with an opinel as well. Every other folder I own would require a bit of work to accomplish this due to wedging.

I agree that it isn’t magic. I just know that we have many knife geeks on here and want to encourage those who haven’t experienced highly effective geometry to branch out.

I don’t claim to be a phenomenal sharpener, I am not an actual kitchen knife geek and I don’t think this knife is something to brag about. I just want to share that my experiences with Japanese kitchen knives were eye opening. There are tons of people with more experience and knowledge about premium kitchen cutlery then me on here. Again, I just hope to broaden people’s horizons.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not bad considering I sliced a bunch of cardboard up yesterday:

:D
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Kitchen knife enthusiast here. Most folders, and all Spyderco folders, are chunky beasts that have awful geometry for cutting food. The blade stock on these knives is thicker than virtually all of my kitchen knives, which is saying something for blades that are only like 3 inches long. I might as well try to dice an onion with a hammer.
EDC folders might cut it at a picnic (cheese, sausage, fruit) but are lousy in the kitchen (to say nothing of the obvious hygiene issues). Even on a picnic, a $20 Opinel will usually outperform a $200 Spydie just because of the geometry. Sure, the steel isn't as nice. Sure, there's not as much of it. Sure, it's harder to deploy one-handed in a back alley. But the blade on an Opinel is thin enough to slice through food without pushing it around with massive shoulders or obese spine. The timeless design and lack of Spydie hole also make the user look like a normal person and not a Tactikal Bro or Mall Ninja (though there are some more elegant options like the Pattada that can pass in polite company).
I do have two folders that I use for food, but only at the point of consumption (as they're unfit for food production). One is an ebony handled Opinel that I take as a backup steak knife when going to restaurants in the event that they give me a serrated knife or dull POS knife. I also have a higher end Laguiole that sees work at picnics and the occasional cheese/charcuterie plate. My EDC stays in my pocket where it belongs.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Looks like that’s the Takamura R2? I have the santoku and it’s insanely satisfying to prep anything with it. Effortlessly just falls through food. Crazy good value too.

It’s kind of interesting there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of crossover kitchen knife/ pocketknife fans. I love anything with an edge. But you’re absolutely right, anybody who appreciates a well cutting spydie owes it to themselves to pick up something like this!
Last edited by Lumpy on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

:p
bearfacedkiller

Lumpy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Looks like that’s the Takamura R2? I have the santoku and it’s insanely satisfying to prep anything with it. Effortlessly just falls through food. Crazy good value too.

It’s kind of interesting there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of crossover kitchen knife/ pocketknife fans. I love anything with an edge. But you’re absolutely right, anybody who appreciates a well cutting spydie owes it to themselves to pick up something like this!
Yup, it sure is. I have the petty as well which is my wife’s favorite knife.

I don’t expect folder guys to necessarily be into kitchen knives but they should try at least one thin Japanese knife just to try it.
-Darby