About that food prep ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tally-ho

Re: About that food prep ...

Post by Tally-ho »

Being French, I'm using opinel knives since decades and always liked how they slice. I was using them also for food prep but I was also using cheap kitchen knives (chef and santoku) that were thicker so this week, after saving money for a long time for better kitchen knives, I went with this set that I just received today, Kei Kobayashi R2 from hocho-knife :

2mm at the spine and super thin behind the edge with an even grind that is impossible to show correctly.

Last edited by Tally-ho on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I've noticed that kitchen knife forums members mainly judge steel by hardness - it's all higher hrc the better, carbon >> stainless

Wonder what they'd think about Shawn's 15V gyutos
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

My Spydiechef and new Kapara are backup prep knives when travelling, camping, etc.
When home, the Shun's and Wusthof's do the heavy lifting.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish Spyderco made something like this

Would be a great Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter etc knife where you'd like to help out the host, but don't want to use their dull knives

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collecti ... dle-ts-110
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 pm
I wish Spyderco made something like this

Would be a great Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter etc knife where you'd like to help out the host, but don't want to use their dull knives

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collecti ... dle-ts-110
I like that. It's a true folding kitchen knife, and as you say, perfect for away-from-home food preparation. I think there would be a good market for something like this if Spyderco would give it a try.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Matus

Post by Matus »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:03 pm
I've noticed that kitchen knife forums members mainly judge steel by hardness - it's all higher hrc the better, carbon >> stainless

I don’t :D in fact I care little about the steel. I predominantly care about the geometry of the blade and the grind. In general edge retention is of secondary interest to me - I can sharpen a 240 mm gyuto in few minutes on water stones. In general I prefer simple carbon steels and sanmai (or warikomi) construction over monosteel blades, as the maintenance of the geometry (read - thinning) over tine is much easier.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

btbyrd wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:25 am
Kitchen knife enthusiast here. Most folders, and all Spyderco folders, are chunky beasts that have awful geometry for cutting food. The blade stock on these knives is thicker than virtually all of my kitchen knives, which is saying something for blades that are only like 3 inches long. I might as well try to dice an onion with a hammer.
EDC folders might cut it at a picnic (cheese, sausage, fruit) but are lousy in the kitchen (to say nothing of the obvious hygiene issues). Even on a picnic, a $20 Opinel will usually outperform a $200 Spydie just because of the geometry. Sure, the steel isn't as nice. Sure, there's not as much of it. Sure, it's harder to deploy one-handed in a back alley. But the blade on an Opinel is thin enough to slice through food without pushing it around with massive shoulders or obese spine. The timeless design and lack of Spydie hole also make the user look like a normal person and not a Tactikal Bro or Mall Ninja (though there are some more elegant options like the Pattada that can pass in polite company).
I do have two folders that I use for food, but only at the point of consumption (as they're unfit for food production). One is an ebony handled Opinel that I take as a backup steak knife when going to restaurants in the event that they give me a serrated knife or dull POS knife. I also have a higher end Laguiole that sees work at picnics and the occasional cheese/charcuterie plate. My EDC stays in my pocket where it belongs.
Opinel is a great slicer!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:36 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:03 pm

I don’t :D in fact I care little about the steel. I predominantly care about the geometry of the blade and the grind. In general edge retention is of secondary interest to me - I can sharpen a 240 mm gyuto in few minutes on water stones. In general I prefer simple carbon steels and sanmai (or warikomi) construction over monosteel blades, as the maintenance of the geometry (read - thinning) over tine is much easier.
Say Matus I see by your profile you are from Germany. That's cool because it is most definitely one place I want to visit before I leave the planet. I've got a collection of D.A.M Quick fishing reels made in your country and I've been an avid fan of many other German made items over the years. I also have quite a few German made tools as well. I've always enjoyed the great quality of many German made items. I won't fish with anything except D.A.M Quick Reels to this day. I got my first one in 1969.

I also have a pretty good start to a collection of German made kitchen cutlery. I have some really good models I got from thrift stores at a literal "steal" of a price in the past 3 years. Some of the German made culinary blades I have are J.A. Henckels Zwilling, Wustof, Messermeister just to name a few. And I find it perplexing that you seem tp prefer the high end Japanese made culinary blades >> I personally know two chefs that only use high end Japanese made culinary blades. And don't misunderstand me because I also have a lot of respect for upper tier Japanese made kitchen blades. But don't you have a huge selection of great culinary knives right there in your own front yard so to speak ??
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Say Matus I see by your profile you are from Germany. That's cool because it is most definitely one place I want to visit before I leave the planet. I've got a collection of D.A.M Quick fishing reels made in your country and I've been an avid fan of many other German made items over the years. I also have quite a few German made tools as well. I've always enjoyed the great quality of many German made items. I won't fish with anything except D.A.M Quick Reels to this day. I got my first one in 1969.

I also have a pretty good start to a collection of German made kitchen cutlery. I have some really good models I got from thrift stores at a literal "steal" of a price in the past 3 years. Some of the German made culinary blades I have are J.A. Henckels Zwilling, Wustof, Messermeister just to name a few. And I find it perplexing that you seem tp prefer the high end Japanese made culinary blades >> I personally know two chefs that only use high end Japanese made culinary blades. And don't misunderstand me because I also have a lot of respect for upper tier Japanese made kitchen blades. But don't you have a huge selection of great culinary knives right there in your own front yard so to speak ??
Seems we have more in common than a love of serrations. :) Lots to be said of Teutonic engineering. Made to last. Multiples of the "N" series from 110N to 550N. I especially like the high speed series 331N and 441N. Backups for my backups. When times were tight, I'd spend $12-$15 on ebay, balance the rotor and replace the asbestos drag washers with Penn T100's and be in business pounding stripers in the surf. Good times. :D Didn't discover Spydie edges for gillin' til later on in life, tho.
Matus

Post by Matus »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:51 pm
Say Matus I see by your profile you are from Germany. ...
I have been indeed living in a Germany for many years, but I do not come from Germany.

I am well aware of German (and similar) knives, but the design (heavy handles), blade design (lot's of belly), blade geometry (mostly flat grind, or some not too well thought out convex grind) and also steel (low carbon, soft stainless steel) are just not what I like. I did have a Zwillinge chef knife many years ago (back when I considered a 65€ knife to be expensive, lol :D ) but later I was introduced to Japanese knives and just they fit my style better. One gains a lot more performance and finesse, but must be also to handle the knives with more care and common sense. As they say - to each their own.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Whilst I understand there are better knives for food prep, I still really enjoy trying out and using folders in the kitchen.
My resilience lives in the kitchen and use it mainly to chop veggies, have also used my Caribbean plenty, both really handy kitchen knives.
Having said that, I don't own a nice set of kitchen knives so my opinion will probably change if a got a set.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m interested in the Japanese style, and I’d love to try a harder thinner knife. Most of my veg prep is push cutting and chopping. I only draw cut things like bell peppers after they’ve been quartered and de-seeded. Tomatoes I cut either direction but less pressure... are these thin hard edges designed for chopping or only slicing?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I use my folders at work regularly for food prep. The knives in the kitchen at work are shaped like knives, but that's about the best that can be said of them. Much nicer to use my folder, although for most meals that I take to work there's not much prep to really do.

At home it's always proper kitchen knives. Only have a couple nice ones, as I'm not a super duper motivated cook, but what I have works very well for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know this thread is basically dead now, but i've been meaning to post a picture of my resilience next to the kitchen knife it reminds me of, since i said it reminds me of a folding kitchen knife.
obviously, it's not the same, but if you look at the blade shape of the front of the kitchen knife, it's very close to the same shape. the resilience is not much thicker either and they share a full flat grind. other than the extra blade length and the blade angle (which helps with food prep since the handle can't be offset), they're almost identical.

sure, i'm not comparing it to some super thin magical japanese chef knife, but these work just fine for me. the resilience works great for cutting food away from the house, even though that's not the reason i choose to carry it.

hope that helps someone.

when this knife is available in s35vn, it's going to be so good. i can't wait.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Not a dead thread! My chief is king of the kitchen last few days since I am visiting family. I should sharpen their kitchen knives but they need to learn how to use them first. I don't want to be responsible for lost fingers.

Hence I have not been impressed with the brand new Wusthof my sister in law bought. Especially the paring knife, ergonomics are just not there for prep work. Even caught them using my Chief after they called me out about not using the new knives(they know I am super picky about my kitchen tools).
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The problem with most paring knives is some fool designer thought a small blade needed a dainty handle. I want a real handle regardless of blade!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

It’s taken me quite a long time to find a paring knife. I was going to get a Proficient and still might but they sold out.

I got one of these because of the larger comfortable handle with a thin blade.

1” blade height and over an inch height at the palm swell.

Fat hands needs a good handle.
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 pm
The problem with most paring knives is some fool designer thought a small blade needed a dainty handle. I want a real handle regardless of blade!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

When I worked in professional kitchens I would often end up cutting with my various Chef knives for 5-6 hours every shift. The rare times I cooked at home, using a pocket knife was an interesting challenge and a nice change of pace. I retired from kitchens so mainly I use a single pairing knife when I cook at home now.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I hate to say it but I have been eyeing some cutco. I really want a serrated santoku in the 8" flavor. Just seems useful yet unjustified.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My favorite kitchen knife is an 8" Chef's knife from Messermeister's San Moritz line, though it's got someone else's brand on it through collaboration. A customer walked in the cutlery shop I worked at in college and asked "can you fix this?" Upon closer inspection, the knife had a hairline crack near the heel, and I told her no, we can't fix it, but the crack didn't seem to compromise the functionality. She asked if I would kindly dispose of it for her, and purchased a new Zwilling Chef's knife to replace it. 12 years later, the hairline crack hasn't grown, and the knife still sharpens up just fine.

I have a few Henckels, including A 10" Chef's knife handed down from my Dad. A 7" Santoku that I won as a sales prize, and a Chinese Chef's knife (vegetable cleaver) I won as part of the same prize.

I'd like to pickup a nice Japanese Gyoto, and probably a Nakiri at some point. Kanetsune seems to offer a great value in Japanese VG-10 knives - like a less expensive, more traditional Shun. The Spyderco/Murray Carter collaborations look great, but more expensive than I'm looking for right now.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.