DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Re: DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Post by timlara »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 pm
Few models sell as fast as the pm2 and para3. Manix and Shaman exclusives come close, but I think we've all got a warped sense of what a "successful" exclusive looks like because of those crazy 3-minute sell-outs. From a business standpoint, it seems like an exclusive that sells out in a week is just as good as one that sells out in a few minutes. Either way they're not sitting on inventory for long. A more gradual sell-out might even be easier to package, ship, etc. Look at the Knifejoy Spydiechef and delica/endura exclusives, for example. They all stayed in stock for a few weeks at least, but they were still successful enough for Knifejoy to order 2nd rounds. Just because this Kapara is still around the same day it dropped doesn't mean it's not a hit! Anyhow, I sure hope DLT does well on it, and continues to order exclusives of the less common models!
Agree 100%. I would think most dealers would prefer not having to work overtime to pack a full UPS truck's worth of orders in one day and also to be able to have a buffer of stock to deal with returns/exchanges. While I'm sure dealers are happy to get their investment back in 5 minutes, the flip side of those crazy sell-outs is that it always creates a bunch of negative buzz from all the people who got left out, even though it's mostly due to scalpers / shopping bots and not really the fault of the dealers. I think a gradual but complete sell-through is best for everybody.
Tim
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Got mine 1 minute in, surprised its lasted 12 hours and still there.

I have to see it in hand, the carbon fiber version looks beautiful.

I think the smooth grey G10 and red back spacer will be nice.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Almost 3pm CET and still available. Wow.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love it when exclusives are available for more than 5 minutes. Wish they all sold like this. I have no doubt they will sell all of them, and everyone who really wanted one has had a chance. I hope this is a sign of companies taking Spyderco's urging to place larger orders.
👍🏻
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hopefully everyone who wanted one has gotten one. Nice job DLT.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 am
I love it when exclusives are available for more than 5 minutes. Wish they all sold like this. I have no doubt they will sell all of them, and everyone who really wanted one has had a chance. I hope this is a sign of companies taking Spyderco's urging to place larger orders.
👍🏻
It is nice when a drop is smooth and painless.... but at the same time I was born in 1991 the era of Dial Up
internet.. Inconvenience, annoyance, and monotonous tasks are friends of mine.
Plus, it feels awesome when you're one of the few who actually do score in those instances.

The quickest sellouts I've ever seen have either been Strider, or Squid Industries balisongs that liquify before the
listing even posts.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 am
👍🏻
Same here, though I'm passing on this one it is a great thing to see. These will easily sell out, just not in the usual 3 minutes or less. I'm sure DLT isn't in any danger of inventory hanging around! I'd like to know what size runs are being done lately, more than the usual 600-1200 or whatever the numbers are sometimes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

This one is now Sold Out.

That took a little over 24hrs.

This was plenty of time for any of those "must have it" individuals to get one, as well as for others that are "just interested" to get one (unless, unfortunately, you happened to be away and beyond service range during the release).

A very successful exclusive in my mind.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

timlara wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 pm
Few models sell as fast as the pm2 and para3. Manix and Shaman exclusives come close, but I think we've all got a warped sense of what a "successful" exclusive looks like because of those crazy 3-minute sell-outs. From a business standpoint, it seems like an exclusive that sells out in a week is just as good as one that sells out in a few minutes. Either way they're not sitting on inventory for long. A more gradual sell-out might even be easier to package, ship, etc. Look at the Knifejoy Spydiechef and delica/endura exclusives, for example. They all stayed in stock for a few weeks at least, but they were still successful enough for Knifejoy to order 2nd rounds. Just because this Kapara is still around the same day it dropped doesn't mean it's not a hit! Anyhow, I sure hope DLT does well on it, and continues to order exclusives of the less common models!
Agree 100%. I would think most dealers would prefer not having to work overtime to pack a full UPS truck's worth of orders in one day and also to be able to have a buffer of stock to deal with returns/exchanges. While I'm sure dealers are happy to get their investment back in 5 minutes, the flip side of those crazy sell-outs is that it always creates a bunch of negative buzz from all the people who got left out, even though it's mostly due to scalpers / shopping bots and not really the fault of the dealers. I think a gradual but complete sell-through is best for everybody.
Exactly!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Mine is out for delivery today
Good job DLT and USPS
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Mine is in Chicago airport, ready to fly to Europe.

(Because goods are free to move but not people
Oil is free to move but not people
Jobs are free to move but not people
Money is free to move but not people...) ;-)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Let's see some pictures when they start rolling up.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

She's a beauty
Great job Spyderco and DLT
Drops shut with the latest CQI improvements. Scales are smooth and nicely variegated.
It's not as easy to close as say a Para 3 or PM2 since there is less handle to grasp.
I think this will make a nice food prep knife based on the blade shape and handle above the blade. Not quite Spydiechef good, but still a keeper.
Looking forward to some OD micarta scales from DLT
Attachments
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Great job to Spyderco for a quality piece and great job DLT for a smooth transaction and super fast shipping! Definitely going to be using it in the kitchen for some food prep even though I have a really nice set of kitchen knives :D

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Just got it! This has the best action and lockup out of the box I’ve ever had from any spydie. Absolutely stellar work, this one is sticking around.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Seems alot of you are saying the same thing that's been said about the original. It was meant to be a food prep knife. Perhaps trying the original iteration, originally.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Just took some behind the edge measurements!

We’re looking at around:
~0.015” at the base of the blade
~0.019” in the center of the blade
~0.017” at the tip

Fairly average for Taichung and not as thin as the Watu, but spectacular nonetheless. Wish they ground the Spydiechef this well...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

DLTJordan wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am
Wright.88 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm
DLTJordan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am
The scales are smooth, but the ergos of the handle keep it locked pretty well in your hand. I have no concerns about slipping up onto the blade or around the handle in general on these, CF or G10. Personally, I prefer the G-10, but I think these will be popular for blade swaps, look for some aftermarket scales for these in the next few months as well, we have a guy working on them.
Oh, that's exciting news! Any chance that those aftermarket scales will be available in micarta (preferably green)? :)
There will absolutely be micarta.
Could I offer some input that a number of scales are only cut for right hand carry pocket clips?

If buying some nice aftermarket scales, it would look nice and clean without the parallel clip grooves for lefties. It might be too late to make this request, but if it’s possible to do this then myself and others would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I got mine today. My first Kapara. I don't think I've enjoyed a new folder this much in a long time. :)

I think I may have to buy a couple backspaces from Alistair and swap things around. I might even have to get the standard Kapara for the scales.

DLTJordan, if you're reading this, will you guys offer CF scales? Or different color backspacers (maybe Alistair would sell you a bunch and thereby reduce shipping costs to get them to the USA?) I'd personally love to have shred carbon fiber (maybe noctilucent?) and a bright red backspacer on this knife.
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm
I got mine today. My first Kapara. I don't think I've enjoyed a new folder this much in a long time. :)

I think I may have to buy a couple backspaces from Alistair and swap things around. I might even have to get the standard Kapara for the scales.

DLTJordan, if you're reading this, will you guys offer CF scales? Or different color backspacers (maybe Alistair would sell you a bunch and thereby reduce shipping costs to get them to the USA?) I'd personally love to have shred carbon fiber (maybe noctilucent?) and a bright red backspacer on this knife.
I'll get with ripps and see if he can do those.