DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holybotulism

Re: DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Post by Holybotulism »

Snagged. I wish getting a Micarta Shaman was that easy.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Still available
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Mine is shipped. DLT really is fast! Now we'll see how USPS does.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cali HogHead wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 am
Super smooth transaction! Now comes the tougher question, do I order a back spacer from Alistair?

Edit: Blue back spacer inbound.
Nice. :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Really looking forward to this one. My first Kapara
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Same here. Smooth transaction and already shipped to France. I should get it for next week.
This is my Bday treat. I loved my normal Kapara but I needed a more exotic steel on this great design from Alister Philips.
Let see how the Grey flies...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I grabbed one right at 11CST, I definitely thought it would be a quicker seller than we're seeing.
So it goes.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I actually went the other way and bought the standard version in CF....I got it last week and people were right, its a fantastic knife.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I wonder if the slow sales are due to the more general public being biased towards the Taichung label. I can't really think of a Taiwanese exclusive in the recent past...

Or maybe people just weren't psyched enough about the grey G10 and 20CV wasn't a big enough leap from S30V.

Edit: I bought because I didn't own the original Kapara, if I had I probably wouldn't have jumped on this one. I'm looking forward to trying it out, it seems like a great design!
So it goes.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:01 pm
I wonder if the slow sales are due to the more general public being biased towards the Taichung label. I can't really think of a Taiwanese exclusive in the recent past...

Or maybe people just weren't psyched enough about the grey G10 and 20CV wasn't a big enough leap from S30V.

Edit: I bought because I didn't own the original Kapara, if I had I probably wouldn't have jumped on this one. I'm looking forward to trying it out, it seems like a great design!
Seems like most exclusives outside of the PM2, Para 3, and Shaman hang around for a little while. While I love the Para's, I'm excited to see sprints/exclusives of less popular models. Hopefully they do well so we'll get more!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

From buying sprints and exclusives during the covid era, I’m surprised to see this still available nearly nine hours later. Part of me relishes in the schadenfreude of anyone who bought two with the intention to flip both.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I decided to hold off because of the grey G10. I think the carbon fiber is one of the kapara's best features. I hope if there are any future exclusives, they will decide to keep the carbon fiber.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Airlsee wrote:

The red G10/M390 Smock and 20CV/Smooth G10 Smock both sold out within minutes I think. The smock is a Taiwan model.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Few models sell as fast as the pm2 and para3. Manix and Shaman exclusives come close, but I think we've all got a warped sense of what a "successful" exclusive looks like because of those crazy 3-minute sell-outs. From a business standpoint, it seems like an exclusive that sells out in a week is just as good as one that sells out in a few minutes. Either way they're not sitting on inventory for long. A more gradual sell-out might even be easier to package, ship, etc. Look at the Knifejoy Spydiechef and delica/endura exclusives, for example. They all stayed in stock for a few weeks at least, but they were still successful enough for Knifejoy to order 2nd rounds. Just because this Kapara is still around the same day it dropped doesn't mean it's not a hit! Anyhow, I sure hope DLT does well on it, and continues to order exclusives of the less common models!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

buckleys wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 pm
Airlsee wrote:

The red G10/M390 Smock and 20CV/Smooth G10 Smock both sold out within minutes I think. The smock is a Taiwan model.
Pretty sure that smooth g10 Smock was in stock for a little while. A couple hours, at least, iirc. Maybe I'm musremembering, though.
- Julia

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 pm
Few models sell as fast as the pm2 and para3. Manix and Shaman exclusives come close, but I think we've all got a warped sense of what a "successful" exclusive looks like because of those crazy 3-minute sell-outs. From a business standpoint, it seems like an exclusive that sells out in a week is just as good as one that sells out in a few minutes. Either way they're not sitting on inventory for long. A more gradual sell-out might even be easier to package, ship, etc. Look at the Knifejoy Spydiechef and delica/endura exclusives, for example. They all stayed in stock for a few weeks at least, but they were still successful enough for Knifejoy to order 2nd rounds. Just because this Kapara is still around the same day it dropped doesn't mean it's not a hit! Anyhow, I sure hope DLT does well on it, and continues to order exclusives of the less common models!
Well said, I agree.
So it goes.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wow still kicking after 10+ hours. If it’s still in stock when I get mine in the mail I may have to snag a spare :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 pm
buckleys wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 pm
Airlsee wrote:

Pretty sure that smooth g10 Smock was in stock for a little while. A couple hours, at least, iirc. Maybe I'm musremembering, though.

The KnifeJoy 20cv were in stk for a few days and then they put some more up a week or so later, but i don't remember how long those lasted.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I've really wanted to try the Kapara but held out because of the smooth carbon fiber. I dislike the smooth g10 on my Rex45 Shaman and I hated the polished g10 on the 20cv Smock. I need finger traction and the smooth doesn't cut it. I only ordered this one because they said the aftermarket micarta scales are happening.
•• Beau
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

It could be that it was a larger order than previous exclusives. I’m sure complaints from the community have been heard.

I was going to hold out for a tool steel or salt version but I think I might Just get this and add on the eventual Micarta scales and call it good for my Kapara needs.