DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BAX229

Re: DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Post by BAX229 »

Time to add a Kapara to the collection
:usflag :respect
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm sure a number of fans will swap the 20CV into the standard carbon fiber scales.
I've never owned a Kapara. I'm interested in getting one but I think I'd prefer the standard version because of the scales.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

that's a great looking piece; here's hoping this is but the first of many Kapara variants!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So in anticipation of this one, I ordered a blue backspacer direct from Alistair Philips. I think it'll look great with the grey. Fingers crossed I can get the knife to go with it!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 pm
So in anticipation of this one, I ordered a blue backspacer direct from Alistair Philips. I think it'll look great with the grey. Fingers crossed I can get the knife to go with it!
That would be a nice standoff against the rest! I like the red, but that's more unique.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wow I think a blue spacer would look great with the gray G10! I just looked into ordering one from Alistair but cost plus shipping to the US is more expensive than I’d like so I’ll have to pass. Be sure to post some pictures if you get the knife!
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:30 pm
Can't wait for this one!
Pretty sweet, no money for it though unfortunately..
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Trade my CF for g10? I think not. The cf scales on my Kapara are the highest quality I have seen. I think the blade exceeds anything I will ever need it for and new was less money.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I did so well this year until April keeping my interest in acquiring knives in check. So much is tempting me lately! Already purchased 3 this month and put in an order for another. Now this one comes along .... :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wright.88 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:00 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wow I think a blue spacer would look great with the gray G10! I just looked into ordering one from Alistair but cost plus shipping to the US is more expensive than I’d like so I’ll have to pass. Be sure to post some pictures if you get the knife!
Remember his prices are shown in Aus Dollars. I think it was like $47 usd shipped. On the pricey side, but not totally insane.
- Julia

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I am very excited about this exclusive, the Kapara was a Knife of the Year for me. As for the G10 scales, while they are smooth, they are not fully polished and buffed like the orange G10 scales on the Positron, rather a flat matte (unbuffed) finish like the scales on the Bombshell and Subvert.

I'm a little surprised they went with the crimson red backspacer again, the smurf blue Alistair has on his website would have been phenomenal. I've been thinking I'll just RIT dye my backspacer black, a $2 mod versus a $45-$50 one, and if I don't like it then maybe I'll just buy one from the man himself. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

The one sprint I want and it’s getting all this traction...

Thank goodness it’s dropping early-ish in the day, hopefully they ordered a lot for this run.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
8-fingers

Post by 8-fingers »

The red spacer is perfect! The blue makes the Spyderco knife look like the mass amount of Benchmade Griptilian’s out there! I like the blue spacer idea but I can’t get past the likeness to the 20cv Grip... So, any color but blue...
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

The scales are smooth, but the ergos of the handle keep it locked pretty well in your hand. I have no concerns about slipping up onto the blade or around the handle in general on these, CF or G10. Personally, I prefer the G-10, but I think these will be popular for blade swaps, look for some aftermarket scales for these in the next few months as well, we have a guy working on them.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

DLTJordan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am
The scales are smooth, but the ergos of the handle keep it locked pretty well in your hand. I have no concerns about slipping up onto the blade or around the handle in general on these, CF or G10. Personally, I prefer the G-10, but I think these will be popular for blade swaps, look for some aftermarket scales for these in the next few months as well, we have a guy working on them.
Thanks Jordan. This looks to be another winner from DLT!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

8-fingers wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm
The red spacer is perfect! The blue makes the Spyderco knife look like the mass amount of Benchmade Griptilian’s out there! I like the blue spacer idea but I can’t get past the likeness to the 20cv Grip... So, any color but blue...
Funny, I had that Griptilian- loved the colors, but wasn't so keen on the knife itself. So hopefully this will be the best of both worlds for me. ;)
- Julia

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

What’s a Griptillian? ;) (Never bought a BM, never will, even though they’re a few miles away from me.)

An awesome pic from the Spyderco IG page that needs to be shown off here too!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

DLTJordan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am
Oh, that's exciting news! Any chance that those aftermarket scales will be available in micarta (preferably green)? :)
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 am
8-fingers wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Funny, I had that Griptilian- loved the colors, but wasn't so keen on the knife itself. So hopefully this will be the best of both worlds for me. ;)
x2. Loved the looks of that gray/blue mini griptilian but the knife just didn't work in my hand. A Kapara in a similar configuration would be amazing.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

JuPaul wrote:
Kapara is a red backed spider, reason for the red back spacer. Me personally would leave it as is.

But yes, different colors are cool if thats what you like on your knife.

I had a bad case of black widows in my garage here in Florida