3d printed clear Chaparral scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: 3d printed clear Chaparral scales

Post by cabfrank »

Really nice. It reminds me that I need to try a Chap.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:49 am

You do. :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Finally got around to finishing the scales and uploading them to Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5215047
Attachments
chap v2.png
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:53 am
cabfrank wrote:

Hah! Wartsein is converting everyone, the biggest proponent of the Chap on this forum no doubt!
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm
Zive wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Nice work! How durable is this material?
I know I said it was brittle but that was an assumption based on the gray resin. I just tested a few of my test prints and they are all flexible but will eventually snap. It's not really comparable to plexiglass like I initally said.
sal wrote: Very cool Josh.

sal
Thanks! I hope to get access to a cnc to use more normal scale materials.
A cheap Genmitsu CNC could work
"Some call me...Tim?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:12 am
Finally got around to finishing the scales and uploading them to Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5215047
Nice! Thanks!

I might try to print a set but I'm not sure how they'll come out on a FDM printer. I actually forgot you had done a set already. I thought about drawing my own when I did the back spacer. I still might. just need to decide how I'd like to do the texturing. Not sure I can do better than what's already on the FRN Chap. In fact, I know I'm not going to improve. Maybe just something different.

EDIT: I decided to go ahead an print a set using the slightly textured surface that I currently have on one of my machines. I also have a textured PEI surface that I might try. Camo green is on that machine so that's what I'm going with. I was thinking about neon green, red, or blue. I have some really nice colors.

I grew a set of scales...

EDIT 2: looking at that pic it looks like I could've bumped up the flow rate a little for the first layer for both scales. I'm sure what I'm seeing in the pic is hard to see in person but I might reprint after I test. I think I'll try the build surface I have that has more texture just to see how they turn out.

Josh did a nice job on the model. There's a few minor changes I'd like to make. So I'm going to model my own set in CAD when I have time
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tonnor01531

Post by Tonnor01531 »

Very cool! Imagine the look with polished liners
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:53 am
cabfrank wrote:

Hah! Wartsein is converting everyone, the biggest proponent of the Chap on this forum no doubt!
:beaming-face ... yes, I do think the Chap is extremely capable, sturdy and a perfect design for its overall size!

But another reason for why I always recommend to just try it out is to debunk another one of those "knife myths" (a very early of the threads I started actually is about these: viewtopic.php?t=84681#p1354224) - like "serrations are hard to sharpen and only for cutting cordage" "backlocks are hard to close one handed" and so on.

The particular "knife myths" surrounding the Chap would be, that 2mm blade stock would be only for "light use", and also the whole thin and tiny looking Chap - some seem to think such a knife is limited to being just a "gents suit and tie" option and must be treated like made out of glass.
When in fact in such a small knife imho 2mm blade stock is the perfect blend between more than strong enough and still performance oriented.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Stas

Post by Stas »

This is very nice! Could you use Rit Dye on it?
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Tonnor01531:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

The particular "knife myths" surrounding the Chap would be, that 2mm blade stock would be only for "light use", and also the whole thin and tiny looking Chap - some seem to think such a knife is limited to being just a "gents suit and tie" option and must be treated like made out of glass.
When in fact in such a small knife imho 2mm blade stock is the perfect blend between more than strong enough and still performance oriented.
[/quote]

In fact this is exactly what I use my Chap for, but this is by choice and not because I fear destroying it. This knife is very capable and because of the thin blade it is a slicing machine.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Glad this thread was resurrected, I missed it. Love those see through scales.

The green textured are nice too.

Funny, I do consider my CF Chap as my "Gentleman's knife" but my Raffir Noble or FRN versions are what I go to when I only carry one knife; small enough yet big enough.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:14 pm

Nice! Thanks!

I might try to print a set but I'm not sure how they'll come out on a FDM printer. I actually forgot you had done a set already. I thought about drawing my own when I did the back spacer. I still might. just need to decide how I'd like to do the texturing. Not sure I can do better than what's already on the FRN Chap. In fact, I know I'm not going to improve. Maybe just something different.

EDIT: I decided to go ahead an print a set using the slightly textured surface that I currently have on one of my machines. I also have a textured PEI surface that I might try. Camo green is on that machine so that's what I'm going with. I was thinking about neon green, red, or blue. I have some really nice colors.

EDIT 2: looking at that pic it looks like I could've bumped up the flow rate a little for the first layer for both scales. I'm sure what I'm seeing in the pic is hard to see in person but I might reprint after I test. I think I'll try the build surface I have that has more texture just to see how they turn out.

Josh did a nice job on the model. There's a few minor changes I'd like to make. So I'm going to model my own set in CAD when I have time
Here's an update with texture and some lightning holes that the stock scales have. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5219809

Edit: Noticed a mistake and just updated the model so the first few people might have to redownload.
Attachments
chap v7.png
chap v6.png
chap v5.png
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

Nice! Thanks!

Here's an update with texture and some lightning holes that the stock scales have. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5219809

Edit: Noticed a mistake and just updated the model so the first few people might have to redownload.
Did you use Inkscape to get the lines right?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 pm

100% Fusion 360.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

Nice! Thanks!

Again nice job. I'll have experiment with printing those on FDM. I'd have to print with inside of the scale down and use support
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:43 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 pm

100% Fusion 360.
That seems really hard. Could you explain the process?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Again nice job. I'll have experiment with printing those on FDM. I'd have to print with inside of the scale down and use support
Thanks. I just fixed another issue I saw.
Paraguy wrote:
Which part? It's very similar to how I make the mule scales explained here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90080 , this video might help https://youtu.be/dUiIAb1YqeM
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:16 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Thanks. I just fixed another issue I saw.
Paraguy wrote:
Which part? It's very similar to how I make the mule scales explained here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90080 , this video might help https://youtu.be/dUiIAb1YqeM
I see. That's how I have been trying to design stuff but for some reason, I can manage to extrude it using this method. My lines probably need to be cleaned up or something. (I'm a complete beginner)
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Ok. I just figured out that I need to turn off "3d sketch" now I can extrude
Last edited by Paraguy on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"