3d printed clear Chaparral scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Re: 3d printed clear Chaparral scales

Post by Paraguy »

Ok. I just figured out that I need to turn off "3d sketch" now I can extrude.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:45 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:43 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Did you use Inkscape to get the lines right?
100% Fusion 360.
That seems really hard. Could you explain the process?
I strongly suggest you watch several of the videos on from Lars Christensen on YouTube. I learned a lot from that guy early on. I've done CAD for years but some of these new modeling programs are quite a bit different. So the learning curve can vary depending on your experience

I haven't watched the information that Josh linked but when I decide it's time to draw a set of these scales I'll take a picture of one of the scales with a metric ruler (or any ruler) next to it for reference. I'll import the picture as a canvas, calibrate the pic using the ruler and then draw the basic shape. To nail the curves I'll use a combination of arcs and splines. Once I have the basic outline I'll extrude by the amount of the thickness I need and then I'll work on the details. With parametric modeling you have to plan because as you adjust added features they can effect previous features. So the order that you do things can matter. The beautiful thing about Fusion is that you can move the slider in the time line to a certain point and edit that feature. But sometimes that edit causes problems with later features if you don't do things correctly as you go. So planning is still necessary. You can hack things out but it's much easier if you learn to use good modeling practices. Again, watch those videos and draw along with Lars. Before long you'll have the basics you need to do some pretty cool stuff

A friend just asked me to design and 3D print something for him. I've already helped him with a couple things. So he knows my process. He made me a working prototype out of wood. It's a fairly complex shape but I've already figured out how I'll draw it to save me the most messing around in Fusion. It'll take me maybe an hour total once I get on it. A few years ago it would've taken me a few days haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:10 am
Paraguy wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

100% Fusion 360.
I strongly suggest you watch several of the videos on from Lars Christensen on YouTube. I learned a lot from that guy early on. I've done CAD for years but some of these new modeling programs are quite a bit different. So the learning curve can vary depending on your experience

I haven't watched the information that Josh linked but when I decide it's time to draw a set of these scales I'll take a picture of one of the scales with a metric ruler (or any ruler) next to it for reference. I'll import the picture as a canvas, calibrate the pic using the ruler and then draw the basic shape. To nail the curves I'll use a combination of arcs and splines. Once I have the basic outline I'll extrude by the amount of the thickness I need and then I'll work on the details. With parametric modeling you have to plan because as you adjust added features they can effect previous features. So the order that you do things can matter. The beautiful thing about Fusion is that you can move the slider in the time line to a certain point and edit that feature. But sometimes that edit causes problems with later features if you don't do things correctly as you go. So planning is still necessary. You can hack things out but it's much easier if you learn to use good modeling practices. Again, watch those videos and draw along with Lars. Before long you'll have the basics you need to do some pretty cool stuff

A friend just asked me to design and 3D print something for him. I've already helped him with a couple things. So he knows my process. He made me a working prototype out of wood. It's a fairly complex shape but I've already figured out how I'll draw it to save me the most messing around in Fusion. It'll take me maybe an hour total once I get on it. A few years ago it would've taken me a few days haha
Thanks for the advice! Ill check out those youtube videos
"Some call me...Tim?"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I used the same method to do a Manix 2 scale design. I use graph paper as a background and use Microsoft Lens app as it compensates for the camera perspective. Then draw over it, print that out, compare, etc.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:10 am
Paraguy wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

100% Fusion 360.

Started making this last night
Spyderco Para 3 scales JPG.jpg
Spyderco Para 3 scales JPG.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 778 times
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

"Some call me...Tim?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:35 pm

Hard to see the small pic but it looks good. I use a flatbed scanner for documents to get good pictures of scales. When I don't own the knife Spyderco.com pictures work great.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:45 pm
Paraguy wrote:

Hard to see the small pic but it looks good. I use a flatbed scanner for documents to get good pictures of scales. When I don't own the knife Spyderco.com pictures work great.
You can view it in the above link
"Some call me...Tim?"
Holland

Post by Holland »

Those clear scales look amazing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

I've been thinking of using a scanner. If I could get a clean enough copy Inkscape should be able to trace the lines automatically.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:47 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

I'm not sure I'd post that link. Anyone can download that file and use it. I just tested and was able to open your whole project in Fusion. You might be ok with that IDK. Personally, I don't like the idea that someone can make my work their own. I won't use your file BTW. If I decide to do something I like to do it my own way. What I like to do is use the Fusion app on my phone, take screenshots of my designs, and post those. Below is a single shot adapter I make for various Winchester .22 rifles. The pics of the model were taken from the app on my phone

Nice job by the way. Fusion's a very powerful program and has some amazing features.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lilshaver wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:40 am
The particular "knife myths" surrounding the Chap would be, that 2mm blade stock would be only for "light use", and also the whole thin and tiny looking Chap - some seem to think such a knife is limited to being just a "gents suit and tie" option and must be treated like made out of glass.
When in fact in such a small knife imho 2mm blade stock is the perfect blend between more than strong enough and still performance oriented.
In fact this is exactly what I use my Chap for, but this is by choice and not because I fear destroying it. This knife is very capable and because of the thin blade it is a slicing machine.
[/quote]

Well put!!

Yes, the Chap is also really versatile for a small folder - and of course ALSO perfect for a "gents knife" indeed, and what I too would carry in a "suit and tie" setting!!
I think the "heavy" weight (for its size!) makes it feel even more "classy" and valuable in that role. But should need be: One has a really solid "slicing machine" (to quote you) in the suit-pocket... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:47 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:47 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

I'm not sure I'd post that link. Anyone can download that file and use it. I just tested and was able to open your whole project in Fusion. You might be ok with that IDK. Personally, I don't like the idea that someone can make my work their own. I won't use your file BTW. If I decide to do something I like to do it my own way. What I like to do is use the Fusion app on my phone, take screenshots of my designs, and post those. Below is a single shot adapter I make for various Winchester .22 rifles. The pics of the model were taken from the app on my phone

Nice job by the way. Fusion's a very powerful program and has some amazing features.
Thanks again for the advice! I've password protected the link. ;)
"Some call me...Tim?"