Stretch in a steel I never heard of v-toku2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Stretch in a steel I never heard of v-toku2

Post by Bemo »

I can't speak to the V-toku performance, but I can say that the way it patina's in contrast to the sus 410 stainless cladding is pretty cool. In the right light you can see the layers of steel on the spine also.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 am
I am planning on taking it to 17* profiled edge it’s NIB factory and when it’s time to sharpen someone said all my spyderco shows be taken to about 17* (chim in if you know better degree )
17 degrees per side?

The Seki made knives can vary, but it’s possibly already at, or close to that angle with the factory edge.

V-Toku 2 could easily go 15 degrees per side or less and still be plenty durable.

What sharpening gear are you using?

For reference, most Moras are factory ground to about 11.5 degrees per side.

There’s not really one best angle for a knife. It depends on the way you use them, what you use them for, and the materials properties of the particular steel.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

The V-Toku sprints happened because an industry friend of Sal's/Spyderco's needed to get there hands on some but minimum order quantity was too high for their small operation, so Spyderco chipped in to make the order happen. Sal posted that on the forum a while back, can't remember the thread name. I like that story - that's why my Stretch is a V-Toku. It's a good blade steel and a good contrast to some of the popular PM steels.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
I am planning on taking it to 17* profiled edge it’s NIB factory and when it’s time to sharpen someone said all my spyderco shows be taken to about 17* (chim in if you know better degree )
17 degrees per side?

The Seki made knives can vary, but it’s possibly already at, or close to that angle with the factory edge.

V-Toku 2 could easily go 15 degrees per side or less and still be plenty durable.

There’s not really one best angle for a knife. It depends on the way you use them, what you use them for, and the materials properties of the particular steel.
I really should buy a angle gauge, I use a ken onion set on 17* per a spyderco tech advice, it really made my delica cruwear come alive and a new type of strop with 1 micron load
My moraknif is sharpening on a DMT 750 then 1500 sandpaper, strop
As a ranching knife no telling what this stretch will see on a average daily basis
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
17 degrees per side?

I really should buy a angle gauge, I use a ken onion set on 17* per a spyderco tech advice, it really made my delica cruwear come alive and a new type of strop with 1 micron load
My moraknif is sharpening on a DMT 750 then 1500 sandpaper, strop
As a ranching knife no telling what this stretch will see on a average daily basis
No worries. :)

One of the good things about those low alloy carbon steels is they are easy to resharpen to different angles and grit finishes, if you feel like experimenting.

More acute angles and coarser grit finishes will generally result in better edge retention.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the knife after using it on the ranch for a while.

There’s quite a few fans of the Stretch and Stretch 2 here.

I think the Stretch 1 must be my favourite Spyderco model. ;) :)
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Toku-v is a great steel to have fun with. 17 degrees edge is a good start, my Toku v stretch never chipped and I took it down to 15degrees.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Well it arrived and it’s awesome, one problem is it’s huge, and if I am going to carry it on horse back or on a ATV or bush plane, I will need to purchase a good sheath as it doesn’t seem to fit in my pockets, any idea who makes a good sheath, need one for a case trapper also
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””

S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

V-toku2 steel will definitely take some time to figure out, I worked on a fence yesterday and had to use and trim lots of zip ties, and twine, last night this knife felt dull and sticky, yet it’s still hair sharp, very very hard to read steel , trying to figure out if it will benefit with a duel edge 6000 grit one side , 750 other ?
https://youtu.be/FruwVRSmhWA

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:41 pm
Well it arrived and it’s awesome, one problem is it’s huge, and if I am going to carry it on horse back or on a ATV or bush plane, I will need to purchase a good sheath as it doesn’t seem to fit in my pockets, any idea who makes a good sheath, need one for a case trapper also
There are plenty of cheap nylon sheaths with a velcro flap and a sewn on belt loop that you can buy online. I would be a little worried about how well the belt loop was sewn on though.
S-3 ranch wrote: V-toku2 steel will definitely take some time to figure out, I worked on a fence yesterday and had to use and trim lots of zip ties, and twine, last night this knife felt dull and sticky, yet it’s still hair sharp, very very hard to read steel , trying to figure out if it will benefit with a duel edge 6000 grit one side , 750 other ?
Yeah, it seems to feel duller than it is.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:24 pm
V-toku2 steel will definitely take some time to figure out, I worked on a fence yesterday and had to use and trim lots of zip ties, and twine, last night this knife felt dull and sticky, yet it’s still hair sharp, very very hard to read steel , trying to figure out if it will benefit with a duel edge 6000 grit one side , 750 other ?
If you’re cutting a lot of twine, rope, zip ties etc in your daily work, you might try an edge finish in the 400-600 grit range. Make sure you’ve properly deburred, and finish with very light passes, then a light and minimal stropping. See how you go with that.

For my own uses, I’d recommend taking it to a more acute edge angle too, after trying that coarser grit finish for a while.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

S3, in my case the V Toku does really well between 400 grit to 1000. I usually go with 600 grit to give it a biting edge. It can go way higher easily but I don't really see that much reason to.

Joe
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm
S3, in my case the V Toku does really well between 400 grit to 1000. I usually go with 600 grit to give it a biting edge. It can go way higher easily but I don't really see that much reason to.

Joe
Thanks guys as I am seriously thinking about trying this new duel edge on this V-Toku
With 400grit or one side and experiment with 750 -1500 then light strop on green load on other
The guy in the video says toku should really pop @ lower grind

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have a Stretch V-Toku, it's fantastique, pull the trigger on it
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Danke

Post by Danke »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:30 am
I have a Stretch V-Toku, it's fantastique, pull the trigger on it
Have one too and agreed, great steel in a great package.