Long Blade Folder Guys ... what you cutting?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Long Blade Folder Guys ... what you cutting?????

Post by sal »

Interesting. I've been on a design longer knives kick for a while. A few more in-the-works.

For me, longer blades are more versatile, work better for food prep, and I can always choke up to use less blade. hard to extend a shorter blade.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:31 pm
the problem becomes having a bunch of crap on my body that bumps into things and hurts. heavy stuff in cargo pockets usually rub my leg raw on hikes and i hate climbing over rocks and downed trees with stuff on my legs any lower than my normal pockets.
:confused:

This is even more comfortable than RFP.

When using the side pockets like the Carhartts I mentioned knives don't rub against my leg. It stays to the side of my leg.

Similarly if I put a knife in those cargo pockets. The internal pocket lets them stay standing up vertical:

I've pocket carried my Street Beat that way plenty of times and its comfortable and discreet. That's usually where I keep my wallet though, more comfy than sitting lopsided.

I hike, play disc golf, work etc. with folders carried these ways. If anything I feel knives pressed against my body more when in RFP, especially when sitting.

Speaking of sitting, I can retrieve them much easier this way than RFP.

Then there's also IWB.

No reason to be hung up on always carrying RFP unless you're an oper8or that carries for self defense.
Last edited by vivi on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:49 pm
Interesting. I've been on a design longer knives kick for a while. A few more in-the-works.

For me, longer blades are more versatile, work better for food prep, and I can always choke up to use less blade. hard to extend a shorter blade.

sal
Folders don't start feeling unwieldy to me until we get to the Szabo Folder to Tatanka size range. With the grip I posted earlier I can get the same level of tip control from a Military as I would a Ladybug.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Most of the highly trained escrimadors and anistadors that I knew carried more than one knife. A few carried 4 to 6 inch blades, folders and fixed blades. These are some of the best trained edged weapons guys on the planet.

It is really eye opening and mind expanding when you see them draw their knives in a bar or off in the woods when training.

I've trained in escrima and arnis, and I think a 1 inch blade is fine for a defensive of offensive weapon. You can flush it down a toilet, you can easily drop it down a drain pipe, or toss it in the grass. The problem in most situations is going to be getting caught with a non legal length blade. An opponent will not know whatever you've trained in, nor does the system, unless you are famous for your art.

Nonetheless, a longer blade has the potential to be more deadly, as the deeper you cut, the more tissue (arteries, lungs, kidneys, muscle, tendons) you hit.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:45 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Try some pants like this. I rarely carry RFP because clipping it to the side pocket works so much better.

That or IWB. That's how I carry large folders in the summer.

Vivi, I know I´ve said this before, but I certainly WILL try pants like this as soon as I need new pants generally. Might get expensive though, cause than it could easily be that my perfect folders would not have Endura size anymore, but rather Police- and Millie size ;) (which in use they do now already anyway, just not in carry) - and I´d have to get some of these

With me it´s just like this: I do buy knives, I do buy a lot of stuff like trail running shoes case I shred several pairs a year, but I am totally not at all into "fashion". I don´t have a "suit and tie" -job, can wear blue jeans or even climbing pants there, and as long as they are not really torn and damaged I just don´t think about new pants.

Can´t quite read on my smartphone which pants your pic shows, your mention "Carhartt" in another post - "Carharrt Aviation Pants" is all that I could find (in European stores!) right now... which are yours?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:28 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:45 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Try some pants like this. I rarely carry RFP because clipping it to the side pocket works so much better.

That or IWB. That's how I carry large folders in the summer.

Vivi, I know I´ve said this before, but I certainly WILL try pants like this as soon as I need new pants generally. Might get expensive though, cause than it could easily be that my perfect folders would not have Endura size anymore, but rather Police- and Millie size ;) (which in use they do now already anyway, just not in carry) - and I´d have to get some of these

With me it´s just like this: I do buy knives, I do buy a lot of stuff like trail running shoes case I shred several pairs a year, but I am totally not at all into "fashion". I don´t have a "suit and tie" -job, can wear blue jeans or even climbing pants there, and as long as they are not really torn and damaged I just don´t think about new pants.

Can´t quite read on my smartphone which pants your pic shows, your mention "Carhartt" in another post - "Carharrt Aviation Pants" is all that I could find (in European stores!) right now... which are yours?
They make a lot of different styles with those pockets. Some are thicker material, some thinner. Their carpenter style pant is a good starting point:

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Canvas- ... 384&sr=8-3

If you look up the brand Dickies, they make similar style pants for half the price. Quality isn't quite as good but it isn't bad either.

Wrangler is another brand that does this style for a low price. Here is a heavy duty work style short, having trouble finding the regular shorts with 7 pockets that are only $15. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-RIG ... /318025417

The tactical cargo pants I posted are tru-spec 24/7 series. There's an army surplus store nearby that sells them for $30-35 which is where I got mine.

Carrying on the side like these shorts and pants allow completely eliminates the issue of the folder poking my torso when bent over or sitting down, regardless of the folders size. I can carry a Voyager XL in comfort this way.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a pair of truspec cargos with pockets just like that. They are great!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

sal wrote:

sal
You are too good to us. Bring them on!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Mas tequila!!!

-Darby
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:

sal

Hi Sal,

How true. :D

They are just easier to deal and work with IMO.

To a point, there is such a thing as too long.

KInda hard to get anything done in food prep with a 2" kitchen knife.

Jim
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:05 am
sal wrote:

sal

Hi Sal,

How true. :D

They are just easier to deal and work with IMO.

To a point, there is such a thing as too long.

KInda hard to get anything done in food prep with a 2" kitchen knife.

Jim
Unless of course you are restricted by law to a certain length. There are a lot of Spydercos I'd love to try but can't carry them locally so not much sense in my buying them.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Another +1 for the Tru-spec 24/7 series. Pretty much all I wear down here in the heat and humidity. Durable, affordable, and let you carry 1 metric tuckus-load of gear.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh, and for cardboard processing, I have found nothing better (so far) than a couple of those over-large CS folders. The large thin blades make short work of those heavy produce boxes. You know those double thick heavy duty boxes for oranges, avocados, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My normal reason is that I get a knife with a handle that fits my hand, and it has a long blade. A knife with a short blade has a short handle and is hard for me to hang onto.
I frequently slice an apple for lunch, hard to do with a short blade. Generally I carry a PM2 or Manix 2 and those are really not quite long enough for slicing apples.
Cutting boxes, rope, things like that a short blade can slip out before the cut is complete, a longer blade is more likely to have part of the edge in the box than a short blade.
Another reason I carry a longer blade is because I can, nobody is telling me I can't.
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 am
This may seem like a dumb question but I am wondering what all you millie/police guys are cutting where the long blade folders become helpful/preferred/needed???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I EDC a Delica or UKPK or a Sage 5 and for my needs I don't recall a situation where I didn't have enough blade for what I was cutting. I can say the same for the Chaparral but I do prefer the comfort of a slightly larger handle. I'm also fine with a larger folder like the Rockjumper or Stretch 1. I actually prefer to carry these when I go hiking after dark in nearby open space where I have seen signs of homeless activity ... so possible self defense or visual deterrent. I've recently acquired an Endura and it still carries well clipped in my front pocket but I'm not finding any value in the added blade length. In fact, I tend to do a lot of tip work and find that the tip on a shorter blade is easier to control.

I can understand the larger handle may be more comfortable when applying considerable force, or a better fit when wearing a heavy glove, and I understand the added reach may come in helpful at times; but I'm thinking it must be specific job related activity where these knives have their place.

Care to share?

CG
For me, it just really comes down to larger knives fit my hand better, a few other reasons too, but a comfortable to use knife is most important to me.
BELFLOWER

Post by BELFLOWER »

I just prefer a longer blade personally. My 4 inch blade does everything that my 3 will do but usually gives me a comfortable 4 finger grip. Does everything I need it to do, and if self defense becomes a necessity I can kill you a bit easier. Hopefully I will never have to test that out.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Cardboard and food mostly, sometimes wood, sometimes plastic sheets, sometimes copper wire. I've found the relative edge retention is higher with longer blades. My Salt 2 needed to be sharpened more than my Pacific, for example. This is important to me since at times I don't have time to restore the edge during the workday.

I also like the additional handle length, my Military and K2 are among the most capable knives I own due to their large handles.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

z1r wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 am
Unless of course you are restricted by law to a certain length. There are a lot of Spydercos I'd love to try but can't carry them locally so not much sense in my buying them.
If I sold off all of the blades/knives I cannot legally carry I'd have to get rid of 90% (70+) knives.

I like knives of all sizes. I like all types of firearms. I cannot carry them everywhere. But I still have them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Cardboard.

In normal use (non-abusive) you will see linear gains in Edge Retention with increased Blade Length.

All else being equal, a four inch blade will cut twice as much cardboard as a two inch blade.

And thus my normal box-cutter is actually a 6" Full Flat Distal Taper folding knife of another brand.
Sadly Spyderco has yet to make one of those.
(I'd love to see a 5" Military, of course it would have to be MagnaCut now that we've had that revelation.)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m in the Big Hand Gang, too, which as an aside is why long handle to blade ratio smaller knives like the N5 and Brouwer work well for me. Legality is an issue I don’t like to talk about ...