Long Blade Folder Guys ... what you cutting?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Long Blade Folder Guys ... what you cutting?????

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:22 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:42 pm
i mean, if we're honest, most people can probably get away with not carrying a knife at all. if we the following the logic of what we absolutely need only, that's what many of us would be left with. i don't need a knife every day. i don't need a big knife most day. i prefer to carry a knife. i prefer to carry a large(ish) knife. actually, i prefer to carry multiple knives. other people's preferences shouldn't dictate yours. :)

I've actually gotten by with my Dragonfly many times. It stays in my backpack that goes to work with me and has saved me several times when I forgot my main EDC knife. I will openly admit that a big part of my size preferences are based just on liking them and nothing more complicated than that. Sometimes I think when these discussions come up we almost feel like it's not ok to just say "because I like it that way" and really never need more justification than that.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

When you drive a truck and all your "friends" say you dont need a truck. And then when one of those "friends" needs to move and youre the first person they call.

Its useful and often necessary. Thats it.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm not going to add anything more than Gernot, David, and Vivi already did - well said Gentlemen.

I will add that I was very, very pleasantly surprised when I realized just how easy it is to carry the Military. The knife is remarkably lightweight for it's size, I think mostly because of the minimal liners. As a bonus, I have a lot more blade length to play with, which makes cutting large sheets of cardboard (and just about anything else you can think of) that much easier.

I carried a Stretch for a long time as my only EDC, and I've definitely done the "Dragonfly Challenge" of carrying only the Little Big Knife for a week at a time. But at this point, If I'm wearing jeans, I'd rather have my Military in the pocket than anything else. If I'm wearing lightweight athletic shorts, I'll grab the Para 3 LW.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I am more a loose pocketknife edc, but on weekends or outdoors sometimes have something larger.

A few years ago, ok maybe a couple decades ago, I went to a birthday party outdoors with my children. There were plastic forks, spoons, but no one brought a knife to cut the cake. I happened to have a clean newish Gerber gator folding knife in a pouch on my belt. Yep, the cake was cut with that rubber handled stainless folding knife. A Military/Police/Native chief would have worked better, and would have been easier to clean...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ladybug93 wrote:
i mean, if we're honest, most people can probably get away with not carrying a knife at all. if we the following the logic of what we absolutely need only, that's what many of us would be left with. i don't need a knife every day. i don't need a big knife most day. i prefer to carry a knife. i prefer to carry a large(ish) knife. actually, i prefer to carry multiple knives. other people's preferences shouldn't dictate yours. :)
I'm getting old. Fast! I'll be 61 in less than a month. My right hand has been broken a few times. I'm overweight by 45lbs. And, I feel all of it.

Yep, I said self defense was why I like the knife, and with no other way to keep an attacker off of me (other than carrying a ball peen hammer) I carry a knife. If they outlaw knives, expect to see me with a ball peen hammer!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Jared

Post by Jared »

I use larger folders quite a bit around home. Going outdoors I’ll usually bring at least a Manix 2 sized folder. Often times I’ll add a SAK and something like a Dragonfly. I like the reach, the extra cutting length, the extra space to hold on to, almost all of it.

Now, when I first got an Endura, it did take me a bit to warm up to it. I’ll even agree that the tip seemed to be a long way away. But between learning some techniques and getting used to it, I’m pretty comfortable with it now. If I really want maximum tip control, I’ll use a Dragonfly Wharncliffe blade.

On the other hand, if I go to town, I usually won’t carry anything longer than a Manix. So the Millie or the Manix 2XL is probably staying home. I really like the Delica for that type of thing.

Lastly, if I’m going somewhere where a knife runs the risk of being borderline socially unacceptable, I’ll carry something like my maple scaled Chaparral. That thing doesn’t look tactical at all. I actually did exactly that yesterday when my wife had surgery and I was in a hospital nearly all day.

On another forum I frequent there’s a saying, “Let the mission drive the gear train.” I try to do that with just about anything I carry and use. Sometimes that means a longer blade and a larger knife, and sometimes that means something smaller and more discrete:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can do almost everything with a Dragonfly. But it's so much easier with a Police4. Even just cutting cardboard.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:23 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 am

I just interpret that saying a little differently; if it's small and unobtrusive, there's no reason to not carry and it will always be with me when I need it. ..
This is true of course.
But I think then people feel differently about what is "small and unobtrusive" enough to always being carried.

In my case: My right front pocket normally has nothing in it then my Spyderco (and I literally always carry one as soon as I wear pants of some kind... ;) ), and so something like a Manix 2 LW or Stretch 1 feels really small, unobtrusive and unnoticable - no different then a Delica would. Both the Manix LW and Stretch 1 are pretty light though, and that´s what ´s "small" in carry is more about for me:
When a knife gets too heavy it can feel "large" in some pants (in light garment, more floppy pockets for example).
Same is true when it gets too long (longer than an Endura): Can get a bit uncomfortable, or just "noticeable" for example in jeans when riding my bike, making high steps when walking upwards, or sitting in a car.

I know you have the G10 REX 45 Manix now... if/since (as you told me ;)) you like the model, you should really try a Manix LW version at some points (I know you considered this anyway): It might feel totally "small and unobtrusive" for you in carry, just due to the light weight and still short closed package, but offer you the generous handle and grip options and the still a bit longer blade of the Manix... can´t hurt to have that, right, and might come in handy from time to time - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

On a sidenote: Many (not all though) of the here listed advantages are actually about a long cutting edge, and not necessarily long blade

Anyway, both (long blade but even more so long edge) and the pros of those are the reason why I often wish for more cutting edge / blade in folders if this could be easily achieved.

I still really do like folders like the Manix, which sacrifice edge length for superior and variable grip options.
But I am not too happy when there would be space left in a handle for some more blade and cutting edge that is not used. Especially when a legal limit of 2.5", 3", 3.5" gets exceeded anyway already and a bit more blade / edge would make not difference in that regard - that´s why I was hoping for example that the Leaf Jumper would get a longer blade than the Rock Jumper, since there´d be room for that in the handle, imho this would make it an even better and more versatile EDC knife. But seemingly this won´t be the case
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interesting discuss.

Valid reasons. I've been going the opposite direction, however; I started with larger folders and have retreated a bit to the 3-3.5" blade range. Two main reasons:

1) I have better tip control with fine cuts using a 3" blade. Sometimes there's not room to choke up with hand forward on blade, but a 3" blade, I can control the tip precisely.

2) While working, I do a lot of up-and-down, squat, kneel, and other legwork. A 3" bladed knife like the Caly is comfortable in front pocket, don't know it's there. At 3.5" blade, the knife (folded) is poking me in the leg and I'm constantly aware of it. A 4" bladed knife (folded) is just in the way and uncomfortable, and I need to find a different carry option.

I do miss not being able to slice food at one go. And clearly, longer is often better for SD.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm
Interesting discuss.

Valid reasons. I've been going the opposite direction, however; I started with larger folders and have retreated a bit to the 3-3.5" blade range. Two main reasons:

1) I have better tip control with fine cuts using a 3" blade. Sometimes there's not room to choke up with hand forward on blade, but a 3" blade, I can control the tip precisely.

2) While working, I do a lot of up-and-down, squat, kneel, and other legwork. A 3" bladed knife like the Caly is comfortable in front pocket, don't know it's there. At 3.5" blade, the knife (folded) is poking me in the leg and I'm constantly aware of it. A 4" bladed knife (folded) is just in the way and uncomfortable, and I need to find a different carry option.

I do miss not being able to slice food at one go. And clearly, longer is often better for SD.

Try some pants like this. I rarely carry RFP because clipping it to the side pocket works so much better.

That or IWB. That's how I carry large folders in the summer.
:unicorn
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:22 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
8< ------------
Sometimes I think when these discussions come up we almost feel like it's not ok to just say "because I like it that way" and really never need more justification than that.

This is true, and absolutely a valid justification. There are no wrong answers when it comes to personal preference, but it's still interesting to know why different people have widely different preferences.
I go small most of the time, because it's practical for what I do, but some days I just feel like letting my passion decide and usually end up with something bigger :)

Wartstein wrote: I know you have the G10 REX 45 Manix now... if/since (as you told me ;)) you like the model, you should really try a Manix LW version at some points (I know you considered this anyway): It might feel totally "small and unobtrusive" for you in carry, just due to the light weight and still short closed package, but offer you the generous handle and grip options and the still a bit longer blade of the Manix... can´t hurt to have that, right, and might come in handy from time to time - ?

I do like the Manix, surprisingly much.
Just like you, though not as rigidly, I try to keep my collection at a reasonable size. I'm not a collector.
I think the manix lw is interesting, but I have to weigh what it offers against every other interesting knife design out there.
I am considering another larger sized outdoor folder, and a manix lw is among the knives I currently consider, along with the chief and some of TRMs offerings.

Jared wrote:
On another forum I frequent there’s a saying, “Let the mission drive the gear train.” I try to do that with just about anything I carry and use. Sometimes that means a longer blade and a larger knife, and sometimes that means something smaller and more discrete:

That sums it up quite nicely :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:45 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm
Interesting discuss.

Try some pants like this. I rarely carry RFP because clipping it to the side pocket works so much better.

Carhartts and Duluth trading carpenter jeans are all I wear. Leg pocket is for phone, right rear pocket is for knife. Right front is for the LRC, LCP II or PM9. Ladybug & keys in left front pocket. I pretty much reserve IWB knife carry for soccer shorts, aka swimwear.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

will those pants fit my espada xl when i order it? i'll just order the pants at the same time.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:

Excellent, Vivi! Bring the mountain to Mohammad! Why not?

Here is a marketing opportunity for Spyderco, eh? Branded Spyderco pants with all kindsa built in knife carry options. I'd be more likely to buy that than a Lil Native Rocks glass...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I cut the same stuff as guys with shorter knives, I just do it more efficiently.

I carry a a Caplifter Clipitool in my watch pocket in case I ever need a small knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm
I can do almost everything with a Dragonfly. But it's so much easier with a Police4. Even just cutting cardboard.
Good point. A longer blade lets me cut cardboard with the edge at a steeper angle to the direction of the cut, which produces a lower effective bevel angle, which in turn is easier to push/pull through the cut.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:

Thank you for bringing those to my attention. I will soon be buying a pair!

Totally over Levis and looking for a replacement.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 am
will those pants fit my espada xl when i order it? i'll just order the pants at the same time.
They fit a voyager XL no problem. Carries comfortably too.

I'm surprised how many people buy standard 5 pocket pants. Even my shorts have those side pockets.

Then there's the truspecs I like wearing for my security job and cooler hikes:

Mine are black but those show you the pockets better.

So they have DEEP regular pockets, big enough to fully fit a standard Nintendo Switch or pocket carry a Cold Steel SRK.

They have dedicated knife / flashlight pockets between the front and rear pockets, but the knife has to be slim like an ikuchi or Chief.

They have cargo pockets that have cargo pockets. No joke. The mini cargo pocket can hold a full sized leatherman or handgun magazine. The big cargo pocket has an internal divider running vertical, making it like two cargo pockets. They're the perfect size for carrying one of those small collapsable batons.

They're also a loose enough fit that they're perfectly comfortable with longjohns underneath during colder weather.

Just gotta step up your pocket game guys :D There's so many comfortable ways to carry knives aside from the front right pocket.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the problem becomes having a bunch of crap on my body that bumps into things and hurts. heavy stuff in cargo pockets usually rub my leg raw on hikes and i hate climbing over rocks and downed trees with stuff on my legs any lower than my normal pockets.
current collection:
spyderco steels: