Let’s see your Urbans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Let’s see your Urbans

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:03 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:48 am
My remaining and much-loved Urban.
Having sold my AEB-L and Elmax versions, I look forward to a CQI’d version.
Who made the scales?
https://cuscadi.de/.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:58 pm

I like it and carry it a lot. I love the color. The steel is not the best for edge retention. It is better than some other budget steels. It's claim to fame is that it is very tough, being compared to 52100. There are some pictures on here somewhere of me opening a can with the blade edge and incurring zero damage.
I've never really tried a basic steel like AEB-L so I'm gonna have to at least once. I care more about easy to sharpen steels than all out edge retention. It's cool to have S110V or Maxamet but I usually use the lower carbide stuff now.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:58 pm

I like it and carry it a lot. I love the color. The steel is not the best for edge retention. It is better than some other budget steels. It's claim to fame is that it is very tough, being compared to 52100. There are some pictures on here somewhere of me opening a can with the blade edge and incurring zero damage.
I've never really tried a basic steel like AEB-L so I'm gonna have to at least once. I care more about easy to sharpen steels than all out edge retention. It's cool to have S110V or Maxamet but I usually use the lower carbide stuff now.
Well, you will like AEB-L, AKA Sandvik 13C26. It is not chip prone, in the least. I have several knives in it. It has been used in razor blades.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Urban’s one of my favourite models for sure.

My AEB-L scalpel ;) :

Funnily enough, I don’t think I’ve ever taken a pic of either of my most used Spydies - the K390 Urban or the ZDP189 Dragonfly.

I’ve been pairing the K390 Urban with my REX45 Chief lately.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:01 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:22 am
@Elena86

My precious. Multiply this by three and add two in N690Co and two in AEB-L...and counting

Marius. I am glad you showed up. Did you see the news about the Damasteel Urban with polished white scales? They fixed the pivot, too.

I couldn't miss such a thread. Every time I read the word ''Urban'' as a topic, my radar kicks in ;) Yes mate, I am so thrilled about the upcoming Damasteel Urban and let's not forget Sal also mentioned something about a few exclusives in the pipeline. I only hope I shall be able to grab those exclusives though. Exciting times for us Urban lovers are ahead.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:04 pm
Where did that Roadie come from? That is not a regular color.
Seriously?!? It’s coyote brown, a color I’m pretty sure you specifically requested!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Seriously?!? It’s coyote brown, a color I’m pretty sure you specifically requested!
Lol I know, right?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Oh! On my monitor the Roadie looks chocolate, but yours looks coyote. I thought it was a fancy RIT job. So, the brown Roadie is coyote?

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:50 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Lol I know, right?
Hahaha! I'm a victim of circumstance. https://youtu.be/2e7PA6q0RWU

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:44 am
Oh! On my monitor the Roadie looks chocolate, but yours looks coyote. I thought it was a fancy RIT job. So, the brown Roadie is coyote?
It’s exactly the same color as the AEB-L Urban. Which of course means we now need an olive green Urban as well (not to mention an orange one and a blue one).

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:08 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:44 am
It’s exactly the same color as the AEB-L Urban. Which of course means we now need an olive green Urban as well (not to mention an orange one and a blue one).

Now I all the more want one of these. It has been in my cart since it was released, but I have been waiting on the UKPK Salt before I actually order it.

Yes, we need an olive Urban, but what steel?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JMM

Post by JMM »

Hey folks, I have a quick Urban question I thought I would post here before making a new thread...

I just picked up a BNIB Urban, the Seki G10 version, I had a chance to hold one a couple days ago and I *LOVE* the way it feels in hand, my question is, has anyone tried to do a blade swap from a LW model, I am thinking about my K390 which being pined and all I want to know the G10 Urban will take the blade.... I realize with the pins that swapping back probably won't be an option... TIA!

Cheers,

John
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I don't think they are
Spydergirl88
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Hanging with lighter big brother lol
Attachments
20210411_205640.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JMM

Post by JMM »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 pm
I don't think they are
Do you happen to know why? There are a number of Seki models I've done this with that work great like the Police4 & Police4 LW, both the Stretch1 & Stretch2 between the FRN & G10 models... I mean it's not the end of the world, I'd just love to pair the awesome chassis with something more than VG10...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JMM wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 pm
I don't think they are
Do you happen to know why? There are a number of Seki models I've done this with that work great like the Police4 & Police4 LW, both the Stretch1 & Stretch2 between the FRN & G10 models... I mean it's not the end of the world, I'd just love to pair the awesome chassis with something more than VG10...
I think the spring notch cutout is different but maybe im confusing it with the older ukpk vs new ukpk. I'm sure RadioactiveSpyder knows since he is the bladeswap king
Spydergirl88
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I just ordered the black Urban LW and the Coyote Roadie. I confirmed that it is coyote and not chocolate so I am happy. My Urban collection is growing. I do not have any of the G10 versions of the past, though. Perhaps one day. However, apparently there are sprints and special runs coming for the Urban LW anyway, plus a Damasteel white polished G10, so I will be busy buying those if I can afford them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Here's my Urban collection

Featured are:

BB exclusive Elmax, now sporting Cuscadi CF scales... the original BRG scales' pivot holes were already stripped when I got it (used).

Seki City made G10 Urbans, green/leaf and orange/wharncliffe, both purchased used.

AEB-L Sprint (yes, mine needed a bit taken off of the heel of the choil/ricasso to avoid catching stuff on the blade tip).

K390 Sprint, with a vinegar patina applied.

Conspicuously missing:

Elmax/Titanium Sprint.

Literally *any* CF, G10 or Micarta Sprints.

Regular production G10/MagnaCut.

;)

As a note to other posts in this thread; I've seen both the Italian and Japanese made Urban shown on the Cuscadi web site, so they undoubtedly have patterns for both versions. As you can see in my side by side pic, the pivot hardware is totally different between the two versions.
Attachments
P4120016smcrp.JPG
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

An Urban would also make a good forum knife with a special steel.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

On the somewhat related subject of UKPK scale/blade intercompatibility; there is none. The LW has thinner blade stock and a totally different backspring system from the original design, the only part that's interchangeable is the clip.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...