Forcing a patina on a Rex45 Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Forcing a patina on a Rex45 Chief

Post by vivi »

I was surprised at the number of questions being asked about this in another thread, so here's a quick tutorial.

I'm going to demonstrate the process with my Native Chief in rex45.

Here is how the blade looked before I got started:

Step 1 - Remove the blade

First thing we need to do is disassemble the knife.

If you encounter copious amounts of loc-tite like I have, try soaking the entire knife in steaming hot water to loosen it up.

Step 2 - Clean the blade

I like to scrub out the pivot hole and lock interface with hot soapy water and a toothbrush, then give everything a once over with a rag and rubbing alcohol.

Step 3 - Soak the blade

I use a plastic cup so I don't damage the tip. I prop the blade up in the empty cup first, then fill the cup with vinegar up to just below the pivot area.

Step 4 - Wait

Now I set a timer and check the blade every 30 minutes when working with a steel for the first time.

Here is how this blade looked after a one hour soak:

Hardly any change, same story after an hour. I can tell this won't be quick, so I'll let it soak overnight.

Quite stubborn, as you can see. 1095 would be done much faster, but Rex45 has solid corrosion resistance for this type of steel.

So I'll try a different strategy. I'll saturate a paper towel in vinegar, wrap it around the blade, and let that sit out.

While those big clumps of rust look bad, they wipe off, and underneath is patina. Letting the knife be more exposed to air is how I get the more stubborn steels going. That or fruits.

After taking that last photo I scrubbed off the rust and it was a nice even gray underneath. Not very dark so I let it soak some more. Total soak time was about 36 hours.

Looked like the blade took on a boring, dull gray. Comparing the pivot to the blade it didn't even look very dark.

The black lines near the pivot weren't coming off with a damp towel, so I attacked them with a green scrub pad.

Instead it got darker.

I have never seen this happen before, and I've done this vinegar treatment to over 30 blades in multiple steels.

https://streamable.com/79xpzz

Step 5 - Final cleaning

Once you've reached your desired darkness, you'll need to give the blade a mild buffing to remove built up residue from the blade. Go slow and be gentle or its possible to strip the entire we just worked to form. Make sure to remove the vinegar from all the little crevices like the choil jimping.

I scrubbed my blade with a green dish scrubbie, then wiped everything down with a towel saturated in rubbing alcohol, then a wet towel, then a dry towel.

Here is how it looks all put together:

Step 6 - Sharpen (optional)

One last thing before you put the knife together and back in your pocket. The vinegar will eat away at the apex a little. Enough to dull the edge a bit. Check your edge when you're done as you may need to do a touch-up to get it back to peak sharpness. The longer the soak and the lower the corrosion resistance of the steel, the greater your chances of needing to sharpen. This process won't dramatically dull a knife the way ferric chloride can, but you'll still want to double check your edge.

My Chief was still able to scrape shave, but it took a few strokes on the sharpmaker to bring it back to a freshly sharpened feel.

Last edited by vivi on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:unicorn
Dazen

Re: Forcing a patina on a Rex45 Chief

Post by Dazen »

Nice! Looks almost as stubborn as my 4V Province. I use boiling hot vinegar. 52100 turned in minutes while 4V took hours and only left with a blue sheen.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm
Nice! Looks almost as stubborn as my 4V Province. I use boiling hot vinegar. 52100 turned in minutes while 4V took hours and only left with a blue sheen.
I did the paper towel method with a 52100 mule back when they came out and it really does turn fast.

Funny how long some of these steels take in comparison. When I tried the vinegar soak with my K390 Police, the liners turned gray quicker than the blade.

Both K390 and Rex45 have very good corrosion resistance considering how much they excel at everything else.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I've used a thin coat of mustard and a little heat to speed up the reaction on a couple knives.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 pm
Dazen wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm
I did the paper towel method with a 52100 mule back when they came out and it really does turn fast.

Funny how long some of these steels take in comparison. When I tried the vinegar soak with my K390 Police, the liners turned gray quicker than the blade.

Both K390 and Rex45 have very good corrosion resistance considering how much they excel at everything else.

In my use certainly true for REX45 (never had K390). Almost the perfect steel for me.
/ Thanks for the tutorial, Vivi! Perhaps I´ll do this to my Manix some day (without disassembling though. It is the lightweight and by that pinned... :o )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I absolutely love the way how Snacktimes rex45 patinas look in some of their pics.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79554&start=2040#p1506040
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Matus

Post by Matus »

I will eventually do a gentle regrind, acid etch (ferric chloride) and stonewash, but want first make sure that the knife is a keeper. So far it looks like it is :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
vivi

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 am
I absolutely love the way how Snacktimes rex45 patinas look in some of their pics.
Wonder what they cut? I've sliced lime, tomato etc. and let the Chief sit a bit before being rinsed, and hardly saw any discoloration.

Anyways here's mine after 36 hours of soaking mixed in with some paper towel wraps:

I'll post some more pictures after cleaning it up and putting it back together.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 am
Wonder what they cut? I've sliced lime, tomato etc. and let the Chief sit a bit before being rinsed, and hardly saw any discoloration.

Anyways here's mine after 36 hours of soaking mixed in with some paper towel wraps:

I'll post some more pictures after cleaning it up and putting it back together.
I asked if it was forced in that thread and they said just a week of kitchen use. Fruits, veggies, spreading mustard around on sandwiches.

I will say though considering how every single part of the blade is patinad, they must be more carefree than I am with how they choose to use a folder for kitchen use. I try to avoid food gung near my pivot. Looks great though.

I have noticed mustard seems to patina more than just about anything else.
vivi

Post by vivi »

So the strangest thing happened.

First I wiped everything down with a wet paper towel.

Looked like the blade took on a boring, dull gray. Comparing the pivot to the blade it didn't even look very dark.

The black lines near the pivot weren't coming off with a damp towel, so I attacked them with a green scrub pad. I expected a few swipes to take them off, and if I went at it too hard the patina underneath would polish off.

Instead it got darker.

I have never seen this happen before, and I've done this vinegar treatment to over 30 blades in multiple steels.

Its going to end up looking pretty cool once its all back together.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:18 pm
So the strangest thing happened.

First I wiped everything down with a wet paper towel.

The black lines near the pivot weren't coming off with a damp towel, so I attacked them with a green scrub pad. I expected a few swipes to take them off, and if I went at it too hard the patina underneath would polish off.

Instead it got darker.

Its going to end up looking pretty cool once its all back together.
Wow. Thats crazy.
This solves it, rex45 is magic.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

That is an interesting result, I did my rex45 pm2 with hot vinegar and it didn’t take more than a few minutes, think I dipped it twice, then stonewashed it. Didn’t want to leave it too long as I did the whole blade. Has gotten a bit darker over time and with a light coating of ren wax
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86563&hilit=Patina&start=20
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Interestingly enough, I had VERY similar results with a ZDP Delica blade I did the same thing (extended vinegar submersion) with.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

w3tnz wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 pm
That is an interesting result, I did my rex45 pm2 with hot vinegar and it didn’t take more than a few minutes, think I dipped it twice, then stonewashed it. Didn’t want to leave it too long as I did the whole blade. Has gotten a bit darker over time and with a light coating of ren wax
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86563&hilit=Patina&start=20
I'll try heating it up next time.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Curious why people don't protect their pivots? Really easy to do and you won't have to worry as much about corrosion degrading your pivot action.
-Nick

Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 am
Curious why people don't protect their pivots? Really easy to do and you won't have to worry as much about corrosion degrading your pivot action.
When I clean the knife I polish the pivot with compound and a dremel (then a light coat of oil on the pivot). I also use a scrub brush under the facet to clean the knife. My chief has been in the dish washer a few times too... My Rex 45 shaman looks like poop from the forced patina, I just cleaned and tried mustard on it...
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I don’t disassemble my knives, wipe it off with alcohol, stab it in a potato or orange let er sit sometimes overnight or more
IMO never disassemble the knives asking for trouble
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

Snacktime wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 am
araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 am
When I clean the knife I polish the pivot with compound and a dremel (then a light coat of oil on the pivot). I also use a scrub brush under the facet to clean the knife. My chief has been in the dish washer a few times too... My Rex 45 shaman looks like poop from the forced patina, I just cleaned and tried mustard on it...
Paint the pivot with nail polish or a little glue before you patina it, or just don't dip the whole blade, then you don't have anything to worry about. Dishwasher!!!?!!!?
-Nick

BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

Hot vinegar is the key
:usflag :respect
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Complete manual. Thank You, Vivi. I was expecting to be a slow process. Once I did lemom juice soak on M4. It took almost 24 hours, to a light grey. I'll try to patina my K390 Endura.