Wharnie Chapparal interest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Wharnie Chapparal interest

Post by Bemo »

Hello All!

And yes, Warnstein I know you'll be all over this. But I had my one of my Chapparals out and again was marveling at how you have almost the same size blade as a Delica in a much more compact package. Truly genius. And then started thinking about how great it would be with a Wharncliffe blade.... I feel bad even bringing up the idea since Spyderco seem really swamped these days. What do you think folks?
TomAiello

Re: Wharnie Chapparal interest

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy it. :)

I don't think it's very likely to happen though. And to be fair, I'd rather see a Chap in a different steel before a different blade shape. And I think that FRN Chaps in various colors are more likely to be better sellers.
z1r

Post by z1r »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm
I'd buy it. :)

I don't think it's very likely to happen though. And to be fair, I'd rather see a Chap in a different steel before a different blade shape. And I think that FRN Chaps in various colors are more likely to be better sellers.
I'd be down with various colors and/or steels. I picked up a Wharnie Delica and truthfully, think I should have gotten an FRN Chap instead.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 pm
Hello All!

And yes, Warnstein I know you'll be all over this. But I had my one of my Chapparals out and again was marveling at how you have almost the same size blade as a Delica in a much more compact package. Truly genius. And then started thinking about how great it would be with a Wharncliffe blade.... I feel bad even bringing up the idea since Spyderco seem really swamped these days. What do you think folks?

Now how on earth did you know this... ?! :D ;)

A wharnie Chaparral must be such a great performer (as must be an SE Chap, and, oh man, a WHARNIE + SE Chap :eek: :D )
Said it before: I think Spyderco already is such a great, performance oriented brand, that in my humble opinion they should really think about going this step too and offer more models, blade shapes and so on in the just superior (when it comes to a CUTTING tool) 2mm blade stock. Make the blade a bit taller, perhaps the tip not TOO fine (both done perfectly well in the existing leaf shape blade Chap) and such knives will be more than strong enough (the smaller Opinels all have thinner and less tall blades than the Chap and are widely known as great cutters).

Sure, since I am actually NOT into small knives (but just love the thin blade and slim, but bomb proof construction of the Chap) a Chaparral XL (or "Endela / Stretch slim edition" in 2mm stock or something like this) would be my number one dream.

But of course a different blade shape in an already existing handle is easier to do than designing a whole new, larger model.
And even easier to offer the Chap FRN in more colors, which could make it more popular and perhaps "open the eyes of the market" a bit more towards thinner bladed folders.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I would rather see the Chaparral series remain a platform for showcasing new handle materials. There is a certain level of consistency and tradition that I like about that kind of dedicated series. The line between that and just another model starts to blur when they start adding things like new blade variations or sizes and breaking from the original intention of the series itself.

Also, right now Spyderco offers more Wharncliffe models than ever before. With the Wharncliffe Delica, Salt 2, Dragonfly, and Rockjumper all available, it seems like a wharncliffe Chaparral might be hard to slot into the lineup anyway.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 pm
Personally, I would rather see the Chaparral series remain a platform for showcasing new handle materials. There is a certain level of consistency and tradition that I like about that kind of dedicated series. The line between that and just another model starts to blur when they start adding things like new blade variations or sizes and breaking from the original intention of the series itself.

Also, right now Spyderco offers more Wharncliffe models than ever before. With the Wharncliffe Delica, Salt 2, Dragonfly, and Rockjumper all available, it seems like a wharncliffe Chaparral might be hard to slot into the lineup anyway.

You certainly have a point here!

It is just that the Chap actually is the only ffg Spyderco I am aware of that has the superior 2mm blade stock (Centofante (also 2mm) is hollow sabre, Delica, Ikuchi, Salt, Watu.... blades are all 25 % thicker than the Chaps) and by that very unique.
If they came out with another model in thin stock and a backlock with different blade shapes (and perhaps larger size!) I´d be happy too... (to be clear: I personyll prefer the backlock anyway, but in this case I think it generally is best suited for thin blade stock and thin handle. Comp. lock and liner lock will need a bit more lock interface (= thicker blade), CBBL a thicker handle I guess. Where comp. lock and linerlock shine: When the goal is to fit the TALLEST possible blade into a given handle, but not the THINNEST).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am already very happy with my Chaps because I carry them as gent's folders and so my expectations revolve around nice handle materials at this time. That is the focus and the promise of the series after all.

So if a wharnie blade comes with an amazing handle material, I would be interested, but if it comes with plastic, then I'm not. Case in point, my FRN copy is for sale right now.

Naturally, others, esp with small hands - eg ladies - might use a wharnie Chap more than I do, then FRN makes sense.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ric

Post by Ric »

Sheepsfoot would be better
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:45 am

Naturally, others, esp with small hands - eg ladies - might use a wharnie Chap more than I do, then FRN makes sense.
This i don't understand: The Chaparral actually feels great in my L to XL hands, enough space there due to the flat handle end (like in "no hook" there).
Of course held with index finger in the choil.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:46 am
kobold wrote:

This i don't understand: The Chaparral actually feels great in my L to XL hands, enough space there due to the flat handle end (like in "no hook" there).
It feels great in my hands too, and it will do in a pinch, but the Native already feels greater, and, eg the Military feels greater than both the Chap and the Native.. so when I want to really work with a knife I will go with something bigger. Bigger blade, longer edge, both bigger and thicker handle, preferably made of plastic, which I wont care if it gets all scratched up.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:46 am
kobold wrote:
It feels great in my hands too, and it will do in a pinch, but the Native already feels greater, and, eg the Military feels greater than both the Chap and the Native.. so when I want to really work with a knife I will go with something bigger. Bigger blade, longer edge, both bigger and thicker handle, preferably made of plastic, which I wont care if it gets all scratched up.

Now I understand, thanks! :)

Yes, a Millie, Endela, Stretch... feels "greater" in more prolongued use, no doubt.
(The Native though happens to be a knife that does FEEL very good in my particular hand, but in USE gets more unstable in hand than the Chap. Might not be the case for most others (other hands)).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm more interested but would be that much more interested in an XL version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 am

You´re my man. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 am

You´re my man. ;)

XL everything!!!

Military XL because why not :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd be interested if the blade wasn't much taller (unlike the Delica Wharnie vs regular superior Delica) or if it was sheepsfoot, but like D said, I'd be even more interested in an XL version.
--Jeremy
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Think it would be wonderful for opening packages, cardboard, packaging tape, envelopes and such a handy and convenient size.

It's a Chaparral; I'd dress it up in Damascus...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Total thread drift, but Wartstein, would you rather have a Chapparal Wharnie or a Native Chief Wharnie?

I'd love to see the wharncliffe shape make an appearance in one of the plus sizes--Chief, Military, Police, Manix XL.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Well, now I’m salivating at the thought of a chap XL wharncliffe. Chap good, wharnie good, XL GOOD!

Provided the stock stays at 2mm, it could be an easy contender for my new favorite knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am
Total thread drift, but Wartstein, would you rather have a Chapparal Wharnie or a Native Chief Wharnie?

I'd love to see the wharncliffe shape make an appearance in one of the plus sizes--Chief, Military, Police, Manix XL.

Actually Chap wharnie.
I don´t have a ton of experience with wharnies, but for whatever reasons I like this shape more in small to medium knives. Don´t ask me why... :o

Anyway, a wharnie in the thin Chap blade must be amazing. Should come with a warning that one could cut themselves by just looking at it... ;)
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Ric wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:34 am
Sheepsfoot would be better
Hi Ric,

I also think a sheepsfoot whould look better.

ASF