Sal, may I ask: Any (even just remote) chance of an FRN Chief?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Sal, may I ask: Any (even just remote) chance of an FRN Chief?

Post by sal »

We're watching the comments. FRN depends on demand. It's nice because of the lower manufacturing costs but FRN tooling is expensive and we have to "guess" whether of not it will be popular enough to finance the tooling costs? It also permits colors at the lower cost.

I just approved of the engineering drawing for the FRN Shaman. That model caught us by surprise on the demand. I must admit that I'd like to see one.

Hey Darby,

When there is a slab sided piece with a heavy blade, steel is a better balance. G-10 is OK, depending on the model. Sometimes the added cost of a G-10 backspaver over an FRN is important, like on the Endura family.

sal
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

FRN Shaman?! That’s awesome, Sal. Thanks.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would like an frn native chief lightweight.

But if it doesnt happen then I would like to see a more aggressive texture on the current g10 option.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:11 pm
We're watching the comments. FRN depends on demand. It's nice because of the lower manufacturing costs but FRN tooling is expensive and we have to "guess" whether of not it will be popular enough to finance the tooling costs? It also permits colors at the lower cost.

I just approved of the engineering drawing for the FRN Shaman. .....
Thanks for the info, Sal! :)

Good to know that an FRN Chief at least is not ruled out yet but could potentially happen!

/ Also cool that that FRN Shaman you talked about several times already obviously now is close to becoming reality... Looking forward to both the one with and the one without choil (though I can´t recall if the latter was also meant to be in FRN)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

I just approved of the engineering drawing for the FRN Shaman. ....

And Sal. how do you feel about perhaps making the "Native familiy" the Spyderco line where each model can be had in both FRN and G10? So both the FRN and G10 folks could get their favorite model in their favorite handle material?

The Native 5 does already come in both materials, the Shaman obviously will, so "only" Lil Native and Chief wold be missing concerning that choice...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

sal wrote:

I just approved of the engineering drawing for the FRN Shaman. That model caught us by surprise on the demand. I must admit that I'd like to see one.

Hey Darby,

When there is a slab sided piece with a heavy blade, steel is a better balance. G-10 is OK, depending on the model. Sometimes the added cost of a G-10 backspaver over an FRN is important, like on the Endura family.

sal
Very cool news on the engineering drawing release for the Shaman! I've always heard that injection molding dies are fantastically expensive, I'm sure it takes quite a few sales to pay them off, but the FRN Shaman should be a hit. I'm sure there will be sprints and such, but I really hope the base model retains a steel along the lines of S30V or SPY27 instead of dropping to BD1N.... Although I'd probably pick up a BD1N just to try it.
Last edited by Gtscotty on Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Regarding folders, I tend to prefer FRN over the other materials ... so it is likely that I would prefer a FRN Native Chief!

I have the Native Chief G10/Rex45 in hand and found it interesting enough to order the Carbon Fiber/S90v model.

I like the notion, best, that this knife could be available in both G10 and FRN.

A lot of attention is going to the Shaman but my interest in larger knives goes to Native Chiefs and Kaparas.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Chief has been on my list since the early prototypes were seen. But I haven’t gotten around to it. The sharp corners would have to go. At least with G-10 it’s easy to modify.

I would prefer FRN if the handle design was good. I really disliked the Native 5 FRN and sold it pretty quickly, mainly due to the corners. Also disliked the current texture pattern. Much prefer the Chap’s hex texture.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Pretty much only buy/use FRN/FRCP handled folders these days, have always liked the design on the Chief and would definitely get one if it came out in FRN!
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Joris Mo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:00 pm
Pretty much only buy/use FRN/FRCP handled folders these days, have always liked the design on the Chief and would definitely get one if it came out in FRN!
I’m in the same boat. I much prefer FRN to G10 and tho I have a G10 Chief id trade it for an FRN version in a flash.