That Native Chief ... is huge!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

That Native Chief ... is huge!!

Post by Matus »

My Native Chief in Rex 45 arrived just hours ago. Before ordering I watched nearly all videos on YT and so I knew I was getting a large knife, but only holding it in hand - that thing is like a folding sword.

The fit and finish is great, all looks consistent and symmetrical, the opening and closing is firm, but smooth (tang of the blade appears to be polished). In total - job well done, Spyderco team.

I got the knife from Altonaer-Silverwerkstatt - an actual shop in Hamburg which I would love to visit one day and Maxi - the owner - is an avid knife enthusiast. So I was happy to support a local business, even if not local to me. They even added a hand written note. Was not my first purchase from them and certainly not my last.

But I digress.

Am I the only one that got the idea that making the Chief, you know, a little less ... chiefy ... could be an option?

I am certainly not going to hurry with anything, I will start to use the knife around my workshop and get used to it. But I could imagine that shortening the handle (and thus also the blade) just that the lanyard hole would be trimmed would yield just the right length for me. Of course - one could argue that why not get a Manix instead - I guess that is a possibility worth considering. But planning a custom job on a knife is fun too :)

099798C6-E09E-4FDA-8E1D-18EC03801CDE.jpeg
305D9639-9A05-4019-8435-CA3AFC78FA4A.jpeg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
vivi

Re: That Native Chief ... is huge!!

Post by vivi »

I'm of the opposite opinion. It feels a touch small to me compared to the Millie and Police.

I'd have zero interest in a smaller version. Spyderco makes way more small knives than they do Chief size and bigger.

Its been refreshing seeing a larger model like the Chief get a wealth of sprints.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:11 pm
I'm of the opposite opinion. It feels a touch small to me compared to the Millie and Police.

I'd have zero interest in a smaller version. Spyderco makes way more small knives than they do Chief size and bigger.

Its been refreshing seeing a larger model like the Chief get a wealth of sprints.

I 100 % agree with Vivi!

SOO many choices smaller than the Chief already anyway, ans so many of these choices in a ton of variants.

And the Chief is not really a big knife (for me personally it is "regular", just the perfect, but also just long enough size for a generally useful EDC knife)
Actually, just by dimensions, the Chief is a good choice for people who want an Endura with a choil (in closed length the Chief is just 2mm / 0.08" longer, and less tall) - and the Endura is not a really big knife either, Millie and Police are larger.

If you want a "shorter chief-ish knife", perhaps the Shaman could be for you (though I admit: In most aspects it is a really different knife, though they both belong to the "Native-family")?

/ And: Good on you (Matus) to support local business! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Trimming the Chief down past the lanyard hole, sounds like the Native (second from the bottom).

I think the size will grow on you. I was all about the small knives until I got my hands on the Shaman wich led to the Police 4 and Chief. Now I love big knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Always thought that the Shaman was gonna be a 3.5 inch Native. No complaints though, I LOVE the Shaman. Maybe someday we will see an actual 3.5 inch Native?

In regards to the Chief being too big, we have many smaller knives and very few big ones. The specs say that it is a 4” blade so obviously it is a larger knife. I think it is perfectly sized.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Matus

Post by Matus »

The Chief being the largest pocket knife I had so far - it just took me by surprise I guess. Spyderco indeed has enough smaller models, I am not suggesting that Spyderco should make yet another one ... not that anyone would mind if they would, right?

I am not going to lie - I have spent a lot of time thinking about Shaman and Manix, I however came to realize that in a large knife I want a backlog. Even when I (briefly) had a Para 3, I realized that I preferred to close it like it was a back lock - releasing the lock with a thumb and allowing the choil of the blade to drop on my index finger. I guess I am weird ...
vanka

Post by vanka »

Try a K2 in your hand if you find it in a shop. Then the native chief will look just fine... or a bit smaller. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:52 pm
The Chief being the largest pocket knife I had so far - it just took me by surprise I guess. Spyderco indeed has enough smaller models, I am not suggesting that Spyderco should make yet another one ... not that anyone would mind if they would, right?

I am not going to lie - I have spent a lot of time thinking about Shaman and Manix, I however came to realize that in a large knife I want a backlog. Even when I (briefly) had a Para 3, I realized that I preferred to close it like it was a back lock - releasing the lock with a thumb and allowing the choil of the blade to drop on my index finger. I guess I am weird ...

Then I´d be even weirder... that´s how I close a CBBL most of the time (release the lock with the thumb, let the choil drop on my index finger - see here https://streamable.com/f9gm4s), but NOT a backlock (here I use one of the other methods of one handed closing way more often..)

/ I am with you, the backlock is the best, especially in larger knives: But the CBBL (Manix!!) is very good too and in some aspects close to the backlock (bias to close...).
And: The Manix backlock can still be found... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Matus wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:59 pm
Am I the only one that got the idea that making the Chief, you know, a little less ... chiefy ... could be an option?
I love it at the length that it is. The only thing that would be better would be to ADD an inch to the blade length. :p
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Native Chief is one of the few knives that I still really want to get.

Whether a knife feels too big or not is all relative. I once read an article about the medium Cold Steel Voyager (3” blade; about the same size as a Delica), wherein the owner described it as “bigger”than he expected, because he had been used to carrying only small pen knives.

I have medium-sized hands, and both the Military and the SS Police and the Police 4 LWT feel comfortable and not overly big to me.

Once you become used to knives of 4” or slightly over folders, they probably won’t feel all that big anymore.

Jim
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The chief isn't that big. Long, but very slim, and light. I enjoy it. I enjoy my shamans more though... Lol I'm head over heels for the Shaman. Haha!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I agree with you 100% Matus. Such a knife (folding sword even!) simply IS NOT suitable for any type of refined, civilized person...

As fortunate would have it though, I am neither refined, nor civilized :eek: - SO...
I'll provide you with my shipping info, and you just go ahead and send me that Chiefly, Giant, Folding Sword :D :p

u.w.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I carry a Police 4 regularly. After that the Chief feels "normal" size. And I love both of them.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

You want to feel a large knife, handle a 5 inch cold steel

The rex 45 native chief is probably the best deal in the rex 45 line. Low cachet, so easy to purchase at an obtainable price, plus it's 4" worth of rex 45
James Y

Post by James Y »

I still own an old Japan-made Cold Steel XL Voyager with a 6” blade that dwarfs my Military and Police 4 models in every way. Yes, that one is too big for me to carry or even use, but I keep it around for the novelty of its size.

Jim
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Matus wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:52 pm

I had the same reaction the first time I held a Military. I was actually giggling while I fidgeted with it, because it seemed so wonderfully enormous. Now when I carry it, it seems pretty normal. Although when most other people around me see it, they definitely don't think it's normal-sized. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I personally like large knives. I own the Police 4 lightweight and my next purchase will probably be the Native Chief or Military when the new DLC ones come out. I’ll get them both eventually but I’m hoping the Native Chief will be made in the new CPM SPY27 with blue G10. We’ll see (fingers crossed)
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats Matus!

Also recently took the plunge and received a standard Chief a few days ago. Definitely large vs. the models I typically carry, but there’s just so much to like about this model. Glad to have one. :)
:spyder:
Matus

Post by Matus »

I really like the solid feel if the Chief. It is not anywhere as silky as my GB1, but for a backlock it is great. I found out, that if I use the tip of my thumbnail to push the lock all the way down, the blade will fall as freely as it does on a compression lock when the lock is disengaged.

The knife took its place in my heavy duty workshop pants and will be used for whatever it is needed for.

I may pick up an XHP American Lawman (as for some reason I can’t stop thinking if it) should ot pop up on a used market and compare the two.