For the Love of Carbon Fiber!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

For the Love of Carbon Fiber!

Post by Dazen »

I just want to reiterate my love for CF Spyderco’s! I hope to see many more Production, Sprints and Exclusives CF knives made in the future. I will never be sick of CF because every one of them looks and feels unique. I hope to see some other types of CF in the future too, like marbled, shred and my favorite Blackwood/Zebra.

Here are the ones I’ve loved so far, but still wish I had the Dodo and UKPK variants.

The Watu and Ikuchi are only half-breeds so the don’t quite get a seat at the table.

Edit: Missing from photo is my beloved Proficient!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Re: For the Love of Carbon Fiber!

Post by Evil D »

I'd be happy with peel ply CF or natural or polished black micarta in every knife I own.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No Smock yet!? That's another you're missing that doesn't have a seat at the round table. Very impressive collection though :cool:

Also, whoever snitched...you could have sent me a message yourself. Wasn't my intention to sell here, but to PM and carry things over to Vivi's reddit spydercoswap page. Was just gauging interest. Geeeez :rolleyes:
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S90V and Solid CF is hard to beat.
I wonder if the Marbled CF 4V combo is still tied up with Fradon Lock Co. Those Marbled CF Manix and the Linerless, Contured, Fluted CF Native Scales are the nicest factory scales I've seen.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Dazen, that is a really nice collection.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm saving up for the ikuchi right now. i haven't had this peel ply cf yet, but i'm expecting to put custom scales on it to dress it up.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Very nice decisions there, Dazen.

I didn’t appreciate how needle-like the Ikuchi is. It now appeals to me unexpectedly.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great pic!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Haven't seen this one in months, since my wife laid claim. She pulled it out to cut her steak at the hotel and I snuck in to take a picture.

I think I may have to break down and buy another. It's such a fantastic package. Has the best action of any comp lock, yet. I'd say "buttery smooth". But, it's smoother than that.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm
Haven't seen this one in months, since my wife laid claim. She pulled it out to cut her steak at the hotel and I snuck in to take a picture.

I think I may have to break down and buy another. It's such a fantastic package. Has the best action of any comp lock, yet. I'd say "buttery smooth". But, it's smoother than that.
What you do is... get another one and then put some really nice custom scales on it that she would like, then give it to her and say “I know you like this knife so I got one special just for you” and take your old one back lol.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm
No Smock yet!? That's another you're missing that doesn't have a seat at the round table. Very impressive collection though :cool:

Also, whoever snitched...you could have sent me a message yourself. Wasn't my intention to sell here, but to PM and carry things over to Vivi's reddit spydercoswap page. Was just gauging interest. Geeeez :rolleyes:
I would have a Smock, Chaparral and GB2 already if it weren’t for the G10 Laminate. Once those are done in solid CF I’ll be first in line. I really really like the Ikuchi and Watu but the G10 laminate bugs me just enough not to get any more. Aftermarket scales are usually a big no for me. I hate spending money on a knife then immediately dropping another $100 on scales, that may or may not fit perfect.

Sorry about your other comment I missed it.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm
I wonder if the Marbled CF 4V combo is still tied up with Fradon Lock Co. Those Marbled CF Manix and the Linerless, Contured, Fluted CF Native Scales are the nicest factory scales I've seen.
Agreed!

The Drunken has personally set the bar pretty high for nicest scales. The drunken pattern on the the knife is really unbelievable until you get one in hand. Who am I kidding, the Drunken set the bar for everything!
Dane

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Looks like you are missing the CF Positron folder in your collection.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not nearly as good of a photo as yours, but I love CF and like themes! Plus, it had been a long time since I took inventory. A few missing I wish I still had. I did include laminate, but didn't include the Firefly (bolstered with CF).

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm a big peel ply CF fan.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So, I'll admit, carbon fiber is growing on me. But I still definitely prefer the unusual-looking varieties to the standard basket weave cf. The Kapara, for example, has gorgeous cf, imo. And I love the Bill Cosby sweater cf on the Sage 3. I really think we need some spydies with raindrop carbon fiber, or the fat carbon fiber with colors blended in. Beautiful.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:32 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm
Agreed!

The Drunken has personally set the bar pretty high for nicest scales. The drunken pattern on the the knife is really unbelievable until you get one in hand. Who am I kidding, the Drunken set the bar for everything!
The drunken is very nice. I like that they did the pattern on the Ti side too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:39 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm

What you do is... get another one and then put some really nice custom scales on it that she would like, then give it to her and say “I know you like this knife so I got one special just for you” and take your old one back lol.
I had a similar thought. But, putting wood scales on the new one and not saying anything.

"This? It's a completely different knife." :p :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Don't forget the amazing Nishijin! Both blue and black look fantastic and I've been waiting on a red. And don't forget that beautiful silver glass fiber on the Air!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050