Colors - Talkin' Story - Marketing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbdude

Re: Colors - Talkin' Story - Marketing

Post by sbdude »

I have black handled knives but I prefer colors. Black just seems boring to me. In the area I live, no one gives a knife a second look because virtually everyone had a knife on them. Advantage of living in a rural area I guess.

Depending upon the handle material, I like lots of colors and actually prefer something that stands out. I do have some knives that are much more subdued to carry in a more formal/gentlemanly setting or when I'm traveling in an area where I don't necessarily want to draw any extra attention to the knife.

In micarta, I like the earth tones - brown, tan, olive, they look natural. I think those colors with a black blade looks really nice and have a few combinations like that. I'm not a big fan of CF mainly because there is so much fake CF out there that to me it just looks like another fake CF knife. I have blue, green, orange, red, etc. Just whatever seems to look good on that particular knife and I think the blade finish, whether if be coated, stonewashed, etc. makes a difference on what handle color looks good with it.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

My first 3 Spydercos (DFY2, UKPK and Clipitool) were black.
The more I collect the less I like black handles.
I like Sals wording "less sinister" it ist a very good expression. People which are not in knifes are less afraid of less tactical knifes.
So i really like colored handles and woodies of course.
But don't mistunderstand me, i don't hate black!
My Impala is really beautiful, and i love my Centofante 3 but my Kiwi 4 for example, which has a great design and ergonomics, doesn't look like the gentlemen folder it is.
So in future i'll try to get new models in different colors if possible.

ASF
IMG_20210107_105948_copy_1024x768_1.jpg
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I don’t mind plain black but do like a bit of variety, although I don’t like colours that show dirt too readily or look too Crayola. I also avoid camouflage hues as I haven’t earned the right to those.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Well, all this talk of colors made me think of an Orange Delica I saw last week . So, I let my son who is learning to drive, take me to Golden. Got there and saw a Ladybug Salt with the Hawkbill and knew that Yellow was the color of the day. Was about to grab the Orange Delica that was still there but saw a Black Wharncliffe and decided I wanted to give that blade style a try instead. Snatched a Robin for the seat bag on my Gravel Bike as well. I tried to add more color, and did, a LITTLE color.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:17 pm
I don’t mind plain black but do like a bit of variety, although I don’t like colours that show dirt too readily or look too Crayola. I also avoid camouflage hues as I haven’t earned the right to those.
camouflage is the color of outside. you don't have to earn them. it's an honorable motive, but the earth is for everyone, as are all its colors. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Variety is good, more appeal to more people, also agree with being able to colour coordinate with other items has become popular.
I still like the blacked out tacticool look but also like to have a bit of colour. Contrast between handle and blade too, I like the super bright colours against a black blade/hardware and satin goes better with more subdued colours imo. I don’t mind the lighter shades that show dirt etc its kind of a patina that gives some character and can usually be cleaned off.
Its also a good way to differentiate sprints and exclusives and their steel types etc.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I like colors, the brighter the better! Black is boring. Collecting knives is a fun hobby. I don’t want them all to be black. Blah.
Black knives are hard to find if you lose one. Colors are probably less threatening to most people. But I don’t care much what people think. I guess because I’m old.
Remember the Schwinn bicycles in the 60s, the Stingray and the 10 speed. They had bright beautiful colors and I loved them.
A bright colored knife doesn’t appear concealed to a police officer in Colorado. But I think in New York they want you to conceal it. I like clips that show the knife.
Car companies do a lot of research on colors and you’ll see trends across different car companies. I like seeing new colors every year. https://carbuzz.com/news/these-are-the- ... -in-the-us.
My most recent purchase was a bright orange Subvert. I also bought the Phoenix with the nice brown G10. I also love white and ivory, especially Micarta. I have the old original Phoenix with the white (Micarda?)
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I like colors because it gives the knife more visual appeal. Black is nice and all sometimes, but it gets boring when EVERY knife looks the same in some variant of "Black handle, silver blade, black handle, black blade."

Colors make the knife stand out, makes it look different unique, gives it character and personality an otherwise sterile tool lacks. I think Spyderco knives are good at having more personality than usual, with unusual shapes and unique mechanisms, but I think bright colors help a lot as well.

I think you should have more options for bright colored FRN and G10 scales for sale. At least as an aftermarket thing, if not on the knives standard.

Part of the reason I like the knives that I do is based on availability of colors. The Salt series, Rescue, UKPK, Endura, Carribean, etc.

If the handle must be black or metal, I at least think there should be a "splash". A red, blue, or other brightly colored backspacer, or colored liners. Something to make it pop a little. Even a piece of brass or similar metal adds a nice burst of color to a handle. I think bright colors are very important, at least to me, they make the knife stand out, draw my eye to it, and people tend to see the knife as being something pretty, rather than a potential weapon.

For something like my Jumpmaster 2, that doesn't matter, since I use that in part for self-protection, but for my Enduras? They're all colored FRN models!
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I like the notion of colors and knives for different occasions and moods/expressions. I wear a uniform for work, but the knife allows a bit of color as no one seems to care about an orange rescue or an OD green para 2. I’d feel comfortable carrying any color currently available. For off duty carry I also like the option of colors. I mainly stick to earth tone colors, but I find myself gravitating to the blue/purple, blue K390, and the signature dealer colors like the Jade G10 or orange G10 Cutlery Shoppe does. Those colors are unique and I love the exclusives and collecting them.

My son is getting his first knife this year, it’ll be a zome green delica unless his tastes change between now and August. He loves neon, camo, earth tone and everything in between. As he grows into the hobby I’m sure he’ll buy some salt knives just because if the colors. Knives are tools, but they also say a lot about a person’s personality, I have found in my years in this hobby. He currently carries the delica trainer, and he loves the red.

Lastly I would say that don’t assume women that want colors only want pink. My wife carries her cricket and a black Matriarch when she’s alone. For her it’s the shades of green that catch her eye, she wouldn’t be caught dead with a pink knife...lol.

Thanks for the ability to share thoughts on the colors. I say the range y’all are currently using is great, also the camo options are also quite nice for switching things up (I love my S30V ACU para2).
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I just like colors!

I know that’s a simple answer, but there’s really not much else to it.
Just a bonus that other people find them less intimidating, or it’s easier to see if you drop it.
Earth tones are probably my favorite (Using broad brush strokes here. That can mean the typical browns, but also greens, reds, and oranges, etc. Most anything with a natural feel).
The Salts being thoughtfully colored for good visibility under water is something I like and value because it’s functional.

Another thing I thought of, often something doesn’t have to have bright colors to be considered as “colorful” of “beautiful” in the classic sense.
High contrast does the job.
The desire for high contrast is even evident among herpers looking for reptiles, birders, and probably entomologists dealing with cool spiders :p .
The individuals or populations of a species with the highest contrast in their markings are generally considered the most interesting and gorgeous, especially in the pet trade.
Just where my weird brain takes me when thinking about why I like certain colors and patterns.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Initially liked colors because it was a change from Black. Now I like certain colors because they blend better with my daily attire.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:39 pm
Initially liked colors because it was a change from Black. Now I like certain colors because they blend better with my daily attire.
What color goes with my EFMB?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
timlara

Post by timlara »

My guess is it's partially because the "collectibility factor" went up substantially with the advent of the internet. People are always looking for something new as we've long since passed the point of just providing "reliable high performance cutting tools". The original Delica and Endura were really all that the majority of people would ever *need* for practical purposes - everything after is just icing on the cake. (But then again, what fun is cake without icing?)
Tim
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a big fan of the colors - they add variety to a collection, and make it easy to determine the knife steel.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 pm
What color goes with my EFMB?
Sadly my one chance at earning my EFMB I failed night land nav. Granted I did get one of the hardest set of points to plot, but I still blew it.

My personal preference is the Brown FRN on my Delica and Manix LW. Blends in well with khakis. I'm also eyeing the ParaMilitary 3 LW in Spy27 as I like that Cobalt Blue color. I'd love to see Spyderco offer the Khaki & Denim Blue colored FRN they had on the Kahr Delicas.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My favorite colors are the burnt orange, blurple, and the blue on the k390 endura I just got. I love CS pumpkin orange exclusives(reminds me of Halloween, my favorite holiday). I also like the digi cam g10. I also have a few salts in bright yellow....I guess I like all colors
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Colour and steel are functional for me. Salts in the boat. H1 and yellow/toxic green

The original Catcherman in toxic green was what Spyderco was for me.

Mix it up with last few knives = Camo - Green - Black - GITD - Grey

Would love to see more colour in Fixed blades. Junction style in orange or red....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
rak2

Post by rak2 »

My opinion/experience is that colors make a difference as a consumer in whether a knife is purchased and the variety and quantity of knives purchased.

Realized rather late in life, in my 60's, that I did not have a really good knife and sort of wanted something survival or semi-tactical. Found Spyderco and purchased a PM2 and just _had_ to have it in black with a black DLC blade. Then got into an office work environment during a time when terrorist threats were looming and wanted something to wear in office slacks as a last-resort self defense tool. Felt then that the PM2 was tooo large and tooo menacing in appearance for my purpose and eagerly purchased a Para 2, again in black and just had to have a black DLC blade. Although both of these are beautiful works of engineering I then selected an Endura with a Purple FRN handle for my purposes and stuck with that for a long time.

For my taste, the Purple FRN sends a non-tactical less menacing message that would generate less alarm if I needed to take it out to help out with opening a box etc. My impression is that the Purple sends a not-serious , almost a toy , signal while we know of course that the tool is substantial. Went on to purchase several Delicas as gifts for nephews, brother in laws etc and of course got them in purple.

Have since purchased an Endela (K390) as the size is even better (and wanted to try the new steel) for me and the blue is great but I'd be tempted to get another Endela in Purple.

Also have a Delica in Orange for general household and around the house yard use and wanted that bright color to help keep from losing it - and to highlight for the wife which one to grab and use (abuse) for her projects.

So I have an 'accidental collection' of Spydercos. Color was a factor and I'm happy about it.

rak2
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

-Variety is the spice of life-

I think that's the main reason I like colors, but I don't actively seek them out... BUT with that said I
do own some pretty colorful knives lol. I agree it makes them more pleasing to the eye, and some instances
less intimidating BUT the function doesn't change. My purple XM-18 still gave me a nice love cut during a maintenance session, which is why I now tape the edge :D
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I like all colors of knives. I have plenty of black handled ones, so my basic need is covered. Beyond that, I enjoy and appreciate different colors. Some for functional reasons (i.e. difficult to lose), but mostly because I like the variety. I also think that colored knives are less "scary", but I've found in practice that people are far more likely to be scared of a knife if it is being used in an unsafe manner rather than the color.

My favorite colors are probably the blue ones (more towards royal blue), and I also greatly enjoy OD green. But I've got all the colors that I could ever want, and enjoy them all. (Or more accurately, enjoy/use the knife for attributes other than the color.)

Bring on the color!