Colors - Talkin' Story - Marketing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: Colors - Talkin' Story - Marketing

Post by bearrowland »

I'm late to this thread, but here goes. I like colors because they personalize the knife for me. Everything anymore is always earth tones or black. For me, a brightly colored car, knife, etc. gives it some personality.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I like colored handles mainly because I appreciate the variety and -in a way- rarity, as a collector. As an everyday user of folding knives in public, I appreciate the side-effect that non-knife people actually appear to like and appreciate 'that quick opening folder' if the handle has a nice color. Size helps too though. The Sabotage features a bright orange handle, but due to its size, many non-knife people still think of it as a weapon when they first see it.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I like colours. My wife does too, she even matches them to her outfits. Orange is my favourite, but purple and pink are close. I dont like GID. For users I dont buy any high carbon but zome in stainless are awesome. That pink and purple needs to come back. I choose knives to use at the time and sometimes it can come down to size, edge type and colour. Do I want it to stand out? Please keep the colours coming.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm
I like colors, more of the earth tones though. Bright, obnoxious scales or ones that look like an Easter egg are easy passes for me. I think of a knife as a tool, and you don't see any man running around with a bright teal blue Craftsman wrench in hand! Yes, I'm comfortable as a man and could carry any colored knife if it does the job, I just personally wouldn't pay for a knife in those kinds of colors. Had the Salt 2 for a bit, but that yellow eventually wore out its welcome :p

Grey's, browns, tans, greens, Rex45 Orange sprints and St Nick's reds are all my personal favorites.
I think the yellow has a function. It has high visibility in water.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

It is good to have options. I do like the bright colors for the salt line. Makes sense. For the higher end knives I prefer basic black (unless wood then natural color). For less expensive or etc knives I think having a color selection is nice. I wish some models like the Delica/Endura and native series you could just buy different color scales to change out. I understand this is difficult with CQI and all. I think some people are turned off on some sprints because of unique color given to the sprint but might like everything else. Then again some might like color and not steel and buy for that reason. I guess the best option is more options:)
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I have two orange handled Spyderco knives but, no longer carry them because I feel they are too bright, and draw attention to themselves. These days I like black scales and coated blades just because they are less flashy. As for scale colors other than black, I like OD green, the bluish grey that some of the Sprint runs had, and some of the blues, especially the blue color of the Spy27 models.

Colors I won’t buy are yellow, the bright green in the new Salts, pink, white, or anything bright that sticks out easily.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm
I think autos, flippers and manual knives flicked open draw more of a reaction.
Agreed. An individual who is terrified of any knife that isn't a butter knife would likely have a very adverse reaction to the sound of a flipper or auto locking up.

Being a collector as well as a knife user, I like colors. They're a great way to add variety and interest to the display. The only colors I wouldn't want at all are pink and purple, but pretty much anything else goes. I wouldn't use a knife with white handles as a carrier, as white looks very dingy and unappealing with the passage of time.

I would like to see more colors offered, and not just as sprint runs or otherwise limited production. That could be a great way to stimulate sales.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

When I think of spyderco I think of black FRN and a satin blade.

I dislike colors with few exceptions. I prefer dark muted tones. Black, dark grey, the British racing green (maybe the best “color” ever offered by spyderco).

The H1 yellow is great given it’s rather specific purpose for me (Atlantic salt and DF2). I don’t EDC those.
not_the_sharpest

Post by not_the_sharpest »

Most of the first knives I bought were black, so now I tend to pick up colors when I get the chance. I especially like the unique colors we see in exclusives since they are even less common. No other reason for me than variety and I like to own things that are a little different.
normal

Post by normal »

To me color adds personality. I like blue. I currently have 9 blue Spydercos and I also have blue from other companies and have anodized things like clips and backspacers to make others partially blue. I even prefer a medium blue and have dyed and anodized some of my Spydercos to that color. They just kind of feel more like mine that way.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

I love the Green on the Salt knives. Green is my fav color, and it would be easy to spot if I dropped it.

Personally, I'm moving away from Black everything, for my EDC, where I can, just for that reason. If I drop it, I want to be able to find it again.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Great thread Sal, you've scratched an itch that a lot of us have on this subject. Personally, the most exciting color news I've seen lately is the new Manix 2 LW in translucent green FRCP. I have one on the way and can't wait. Never understood why we haven't seen more translucent FRCP because I find it very attractive. Also digging my new green Salt 2 and Atlantic.