To decide between these 4 Spydercos..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

To decide between these 4 Spydercos..

Post by TheGiant80 »

I know I know. It’s another one of “those” threads. For what it’s worth, I have laboured over this decision for weeks. It’s kept me up at night (for real). I’m trying to decide between these four knives which happen to all be Spyderco products. Observe:

-Vallotton
-Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE
-Military S30V
-Endura K390

I’m looking for longevity. I’m looking for raw cutting power. This will be my new EDC. I don’t want a pocket brick (which I know the Vallotton sort of is but I LOVE the look of it), but it doesn’t need to be feather-light either.

I have enormous hands, but my current EDC (Endura 4 VG10 CE) feels fine so a massive handle isn’t required. I’m not a steel snob by any means, but that’s not to say I won’t enjoy something more badass than a base model.

I’ve read every review I can find. I’ve drooled over EvilD’s Caribbean torture thread. My mind has been blown by a user checking in after 10 years of Millie use.

I dunno guys. I know I should just pick one already, but I’d love to hear input from a few folks who have a definite favourite from my list. Much obliged!

EDIT: Use will include everything from opening mail and packages to week-long camping trips in the Rocky Mountains.
kerrcobra

Re: To decide between these 4 Spydercos..

Post by kerrcobra »

I vote Military, but I also recommend the Police 4 LW in K390.
--Jeremy
kobold

Post by kobold »

From a personal perspective, although I would like a knife in K390 I am not happy with the Endura ergos, so it is all about if I want an SE or a PE blade. I would, and indeed I did get both a Military and a Caribbean SF SE. I recommend the same - and I am sorry for not picking one over the other :)
edit: IME the Taichung comp lock is not as great as those made in Golden. Something to keep in mind.

As for the Vallotton, it is just too heavy.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If I had to choose: Without any hesitation: Endura K 390, and in SE.

Reasoning later, no time right now! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Military. Without hesitation.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
swigert

Post by swigert »

Military.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Endura, but if not then Police, either way K390
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Not a big SE fan, also not a big S30V fan. I've never even seen a Vallotton...

My take on the Millie is that I love it, but it's seriously big and regular production only offers S30V, so no go.

Endura is more manageable size-wise and comes in K390, which takes and holds a fantastic edge, not stainless though, if that matters... Despite lacking the super rugged feel of the Golden made models, it's a solid confidence inspiring knife, it doesn't just feel like a stretched Delica (which is what I had imagined until I finally owned one).

Caribbean SF (mine is PE) is a serious cutting tool, the LC200N performs very nicely, especially when it comes to edge stability. Somehow it just doesn't quite exceed the sum of its parts the way many other Spydies do for me...

If I was choosing a hard use knife that would have to live in my pocket every day, it'd be a Manix 2, but again you're up against S30V being the standard production steel in the beefier G10 handled version... I'd almost go for a BD1N or SPY27 LW version in that case, though I really do like the G10 handle better.

I'd also be seriously tempted by the K390 Endela for that use profile.

So not much help from me, sorry! the good news is that all of the options you offered are great knives in their own right, so even the "wrong" pick will be better than lots of other makers offerings.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:52 pm
I know I know. It’s another one of “those” threads. For what it’s worth, I have laboured over this decision for weeks. It’s kept me up at night (for real). I’m trying to decide between these four knives which happen to all be Spyderco products. Observe:

-Vallotton
-Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE
-Military S30V
-Endura K390

I’m looking for longevity. I’m looking for raw cutting power. This will be my new EDC. I don’t want a pocket brick (which I know the Vallotton sort of is but I LOVE the look of it), but it doesn’t need to be feather-light either.

I have enormous hands, but my current EDC (Endura 4 VG10 CE) feels fine so a massive handle isn’t required. I’m not a steel snob by any means, but that’s not to say I won’t enjoy something more badass than a base model.

I’ve read every review I can find. I’ve drooled over EvilD’s Caribbean torture thread. My mind has been blown by a user checking in after 10 years of Millie use.

I dunno guys. I know I should just pick one already, but I’d love to hear input from a few folks who have a definite favourite from my list. Much obliged!

EDIT: Use will include everything from opening mail and packages to week-long camping trips in the Rocky Mountains.
Military S30V, easily.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t have a Vallotton, but I do have the others.

None of them will give you buyer’s remorse, but getting only one may leave you a little disappointed. Why? Because the other two are so good. I love both LC200N and K390.

Still, the Military Model has neither vertical blade-play (as does the Endura, but not fatally), nor a weak detent (as does the Caribbean, but not fatally).

So, I recommend the Millie. And S30V is a great steel.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I would also say Military. For the outdoor activities, week or longer camping trips - the ease of use, open back design, and hardiness of the Military gets my vote.

I am more a pocketknife edc, as in loose in the pocket, but sometimes carry something larger outdoors/weekends.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Theyre all good.

Salt or no salt?
Stainless or not?
Serrated or pe?

I think those questions would decide it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Endura k390 is what I bought....so that's my vote
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:13 pm
If I had to choose: Without any hesitation: Endura K 390, and in SE.

Reasoning later, no time right now! ;)

So, here my reasoning:

Valotton:
You want "raw cutting power" and "not a pocket brick".
The Valotton is really heavy , and has a narrow (not tall), rather thick (4mm) blade. Sure, it is a hollow grind, so will still cut well in many tasks. But if you slice THROUGH (wider) stuff, I just can´t see "raw cutting power"

Caribbean SE sheepsfoot:
Would be my second choice after the Endura. Great serration pattern, a lot of edge in a compact, but certainly very comfy handle, strong enough tip
Why not my Nr one?
1.) Comp. lock: Not the best for outdoor use ("week long camping trip"), comp. lock cutout can cause hotspots, not too safe in pocket and use with cold, wet hands
2.) Thicker stock than the Endura

Military:
Great knife! Perfect ergos, linerlock is a good, versatile and great to operate option, a lot of cutting edge.
Cons.: Tip presumably a bit fragile; Linerlock is still not a backlock...

Endura K390:
No cons for me. Compact size, roomy handle, Ricasso as a perfect "choke up" place", strong, safe and most versatile lock, grippy FRN, thinner than the other options bladestock (but still strong), re enforced tip, and K390 must be a great steel (thoug not rustproof!), great ergos (closed back, no liner- or comp.lock cutouts, chamfered handle)
In SE this is probably almost the most perfect folder I personally can imagine
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

My vote would be a Caribbean, but in the SE leaf shape blade

military is tied with that, however I may go s110v on that...

tough choice. can't go wrong with either of those!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I far prefer a front choil, and stainless for edc, so it would be the Military for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tough choice indeed... though my personal one is clear, Milli, Caribbean and Endura are all great knives.
The Vallotton is certainly cool somehow, but for me does not fit into what the OP says he´s actually looking for, practically speaking.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

My choice would be the Caribbean sheepsfoot if stain resistance matters in those week long Rocky Mountain trips. The Endura with K390 would be my next choice if the occasional wipe down doesn't bother you.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Military, all day long friend. The Military is surprisingly light and pocket-friendly, especially for a 4" folder. The handle is comfortable for hard-use tasks both with and without gloves, the lock is secure and easy to actuate, and man, that blade. Buy a military, and don't every look back.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Go with the Endura.

It has the best (thinnest) blade profile for cutting of the 4, yet still very strong, and great tip geometry.
K390 is my favorite steel of the 4. The perfect steel for a slicing-performance-oriented knife, with the best edge retention of the 4.
The Endura's backlock is the superior lock to the other 3, in my opinion. While the Spyderco liner lock and comp lock are well made and work fine, the backlock is the simplest mechanism, has a close-bias without needing a detent, is ambidextrous, is super-strong, and doesn't have any thin metal around the scales to cause hotspots.
This last opinion might be controversial, but I prefer Spyderco's FRN to G10. The molding of the scales is rounded instead of sharp-edged, and the grip traction is great. It's also a bit lighter.

If you're willing to go slightly bigger, you get all of the above in the Police 4 K390 but with a finger choil, which I like.