Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 am
Menipo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 am

Keep an eye on them. They use to be cheaper than Lamnia (in this case only 1.5 euros but I saved 15% on my Endela) and they ship free if purchases are +40 euros (+120 Lamnia). In addition they are as quick in terms of shipment and reliable as Lamnia or K&T (I am a client of all of them).

As to the advantages of wider blades .... well, it is clear that we have different tastes (and prepare different food: in the Mediterranean diet we do not tend to spread too much of almost nothing on bread and particularly butter).

And for peeling or coreing an apple (or preparing an orange) I think a long, thin blade is much more effective (that's why paring knives are more like an Ikuchi than a Manix or Native).

In any case, to each their own, so tutti contenti!! Enjoy your new "Toynacious" :D

I will keep an eye on them! Only thanks to you I even got aware of that shop, always glad to have options (and to buy "European")! :)

/ Actually I can´t say if overall I prefer the more slender Endura-, or the wider Tenacious blade. Both great, but both still with their pros and cons.
Perhaps, if I could only have one (bladeshape) I´d even go with the Endura blade: Probably still my most favorite folder ever (though constantly battling with the Stretch 1 for that rank... ;) ), and its blade has served me so well in many tasks and many situations.
It will be interesting how the Tenacious blade - similar edge length, but wider - will work out for me over time. I think I never had a folder with such a wide blade AND long edge. Love it so far! :) - one thing is clear_ Everything else equal (bladestock, grind angle, thickness behind the edge and so on) in ffg a wider blade will have a better slicing geometry.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 am
It seems to be a very nice knife, made to Spyderco standards. However, I have so much Chinese made stuff now that I have zero need to seek out more. I do have a black on black Tenacious combo blade that I picked up used.
Yes, Chinese made is not what many people want these days - more so in the US, but also in Europe (don´t know about other parts of the world)

That being said: I just can´t find any flaw on this knife fit and finish wise - it seems to be made to the highest Spyderco standards. Just perfect: Grind, lockup, no gaps, no wiggle, everything smooth, even and tight (if this is English, but you know what I mean.. ;) )

As said, only thing not totally perfect: The pivot came pretty dry (action was still good though) - it actually made kind of an audible "squeaking" sound when I opened and closed the blade slowly... :D - a drop of oil (did not even disassemble the knife for that yet) and now this is perfect too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Better late than never, my friend :D I dug up the review I posted in 2008...sadly the pictures are gone and the computer they're stored on isn't plugged up, but they were mostly comparison shots between the Military and Tenacious.
Vivi from 2008 wrote:My local knife store received a new Spyderco shipment recently so I purchased a Tenacious.

Initial impressions are very good. The fit and finish are superior to my Byrds and reflect the level of quality I'd expect from a Spyderco knife regardless of country of origin. This knife destroys any notions of China being incapable of manufacturing a high quality knife for me, even more so than the Byrds. I doubt this impression will change with use. I'll be EDCing this knife for the next few weeks so I can write a more use-based review in the future.

Lock-up is free of any play with the liner engaging just short of its full width. The lock is stable under pressure and light, quick spine taps. The tang has a slight radius to it where the lock engages, similar to the Military but not as prominent of a curve.

The ergonomics are comfortable and secure, which comes as little surprise since the handle is nearly identical to the main grip of the Military model. As much as I like choils, it's nice having the cutting edge go right to the handle. Provides excellent leverage when whittling a stick etc.

Unlike other Spyderco liner and compression lock knives I've used, this knife has a small section of G10 removed on the liner lock side. My guess is to make it easier to close. The detent on the liner lock is a nice mix of security and ease of opening, possibly a little easier to open than I like. Notable difference between opening this knife and the D2 Millie.

Mine weighs in at 116.9 grams, with a D2 Millie at 122 grams and G10 Byrd Flight at 116.3.

It carries very well in the pocket or IWB set for tip-down as it comes from factory. I may switch to tip-up later which is to my preference but because it's a fairly easy to open liner lock that I plan on carrying IWB most the time I'll leave it tip down for now.

The only thing negative I have to say is the sharpness wasn't quite as sharp as other new Spydercos I've handled. It still shaved with ease, but could of had a little more bite to it. Easily remedied with a quick touch up though.

I paid $37.09 after tax at a local brick and mortar store. Here are some quick photos, I'll post higher quality images and comparison shots in the in-depth review.

[​/quote]
:unicorn
JMM

Post by JMM »

Just waiting on a SE Resilience, in any steel.... there are dozens of Tenacious models in PE, CE, and SE, please, PLEASE just make one SE Resilience model -- G10 or LW, ANY steel, please.... ok I'm done.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:28 am
Zive wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:10 am
Will have to wait and see how it’s received in the North American market, but it’s worth pointing out that it’s the most expensive “value folder” (at least that I’m aware of) and overlaps in price with some non-value models. Granted, the non-value pieces are mostly in S30V or VG-10 but an S110V UKPK is $14 more, roughly similar in size, and USA made. There’s a lot of competition at that price point.

Sure, "made in China" should generally mean cheaper than "made in the US".

But other than that: As long as fit and finish aee good (and I am sure they are and don´t mind details like perfect centering not at all anyway), there is not much "just value" on the Tenacious LW S35VN, right? Good steel, I assume the usual (very good) FRN, solid built, liners, prooven, great ergos... and the linerlock could even be a plus in this case, since there just are not too many higher end Spydies (concerning steel) with this actually great locktype...
iPhones are made in China, and definitely not cheap. The Chinese can do excellent work.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Zive wrote:
Will have to wait and see how it’s received in the North American market, but it’s worth pointing out that it’s the most expensive “value folder” (at least that I’m aware of) and overlaps in price with some non-value models. Granted, the non-value pieces are mostly in S30V or VG-10 but an S110V UKPK is $14 more, roughly similar in size, and USA made. There’s a lot of competition at that price point.

But other than that: As long as fit and finish aee good (and I am sure they are and don´t mind details like perfect centering not at all anyway), there is not much "just value" on the Tenacious LW S35VN, right? Good steel, I assume the usual (very good) FRN, solid built, liners, prooven, great ergos... and the linerlock could even be a plus in this case, since there just are not too many higher end Spydies (concerning steel) with this actually great locktype...
iPhones are made in China, and definitely not cheap. The Chinese can do excellent work.
They can do excellent work... but their policies and political practices keep me away in terms of knife purchases. Practically everything is made in China, but I much prefer something made in Taiwan, Japan, or Europe.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Zive wrote:

They can do excellent work... but their policies and political practices keep me away in terms of knife purchases. Practically everything is made in China, but I much prefer something made in Taiwan, Japan, or Europe.
I totally appreciate and respect your stance there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks Vivi! :)

My impressions are the same, just that mine is in FRN, a bit lighter, of course in S35VN and the liner does engage with its full width when locking up, but not "late" - just perfect.

Yes, I started with the Seki knives and somehow was "snobby" enough to never go "lower" (except two or three Byrds knives), especially concerning the steel. So I never tried a Tenacious before, though I always knew it has a lot I like.

I will do a thread with detailled first impressions and comparisons anyway, but I could imagine that FRN and S35VN could potentially be reasons for you to revisit the Tenacious - ?! I am sure, like David you´d rather see the Resilience in that configuration ,but an Endura cutting edge is not bad either, right?

Anyway, I keep being impressed with the flawless fit and finish on mine. Just can´t find anything at all to even just nitpick a bit about concerning quality. Even things I would not care about anyway are perfect, like even grinds, initial sharpness and centering.

For my taste it could be a tad lighter (for a "lightweight"), but that has nothing to do with quality and in fact it weighs the same as a Stretch 2 or PM2... so not exactly "heavy" at all - and part of that weight are the sturdy, full liners (like in "not nested", they are milled out in order to be lighter) - and that sturdiness of liners and handle is of course a good thing in a linerlock - no way it could ever fail due to handle flex, cause there is absolutely none...

Funny: I think my last two acquisitions could easily be a pair of folders that I´d be more than happy with if I had to part with all others:
This Tenacious and the Salt 2 ffg SE... seems like I had a lucky hand with my purchases lately... :)

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 pm
Better late than never, my friend :D
[​/quote]
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Well what can I say that hasn't already been said... This is an awesome Tenacious. Fit and finish is great. Honestly, better fit and finish than some Seki knives. Definitely better fit and finish than the Maniago-made Urban G10. The S35VN Tenacious Lightweight and the Astute and you would be all set to be ballin' on a budget lol. Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm with you on the S35VN treatment for the Astute, but don't forget about the upcoming Resilience. :p
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:56 pm
Well what can I say that hasn't already been said... This is an awesome Tenacious. Fit and finish is great. Honestly, better fit and finish than some Seki knives. Definitely better fit and finish than the Maniago-made Urban G10.....
Glad you like yours too! :)

Said it several times already: Mine is just perfect concerning fit and finish, certainly one of the best made folders I ever owned.
I also really like the S35VN so far.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 pm

My impressions are the same, just that mine is in FRN, a bit lighter, of course in S35VN and the liner does engage with its full width when locking up, but not "late" - just perfect.

Yes, I started with the Seki knives and somehow was "snobby" enough to never go "lower" (except two or three Byrds knives), especially concerning the steel. So I never tried a Tenacious before, though I always knew it has a lot I like.

I will do a thread with detailled first impressions and comparisons anyway, but I could imagine that FRN and S35VN could potentially be reasons for you to revisit the Tenacious - ?! I am sure, like David you´d rather see the Resilience in that configuration ,but an Endura cutting edge is not bad either, right?

Anyway, I keep being impressed with the flawless fit and finish on mine. Just can´t find anything at all to even just nitpick a bit about concerning quality. Even things I would not care about anyway are perfect, like even grinds, initial sharpness and centering.

For my taste it could be a tad lighter (for a "lightweight"), but that has nothing to do with quality and in fact it weighs the same as a Stretch 2 or PM2... so not exactly "heavy" at all - and part of that weight are the sturdy, full liners (like in "not nested", they are milled out in order to be lighter) - and that sturdiness of liners and handle is of course a good thing in a linerlock - no way it could ever fail due to handle flex, cause there is absolutely none...

Funny: I think my last two acquisitions could easily be a pair of folders that I´d be more than happy with if I had to part with all others:
This Tenacious and the Salt 2 ffg SE... seems like I had a lucky hand with my purchases lately... :)

vivi wrote:
[​/quote]
For me its more of a handle size issue. I've carried a PM2 and a Tenacious as EDC's in the past and I can get by with their blades, but I prefer the handles on the Military and Resilience.

Speaking of the Resilience, mine has very good fit and finish too. Shouldn't be long now before we have the LW version of that knife.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 pm

vivi wrote:
[​/quote]
For me its more of a handle size issue. I've carried a PM2 and a Tenacious as EDC's in the past and I can get by with their blades, but I prefer the handles on the Military and Resilience.

Speaking of the Resilience, mine has very good fit and finish too. Shouldn't be long now before we have the LW version of that knife.

Yes, I get that: For my L to XL hands the grip area between ftont guard and back hook of the Tenacious just tightly fits like a glove, but this is true for Manix, PM2 and Stretch 1 too (these four folders have pretty much the same grip area length behind the choil or behind the guard when it comes to the Tenacious).

And on the Tenacious most folks don t have the option to choke up like they could on the choils of the other three (I do choke up on the cutting edge of the Tenacious, but discussing this tends to get heated...)

As for the blades: For me the edge of the Tenacious is long enough (like on an Endura), while on the PM2 a bit too short.

Overall I still prefer the Endura with its longer blade (though not edge) and the more grip options it offers.

Still, the S35VN Tenacious is great in its para 3-ish compact closed package but long edge and the perfect, in operation just so convenient linerlock.

As for the Resilience "LW": Will be a cool option, but I guess a bit heavy for my preferences, even in its "lightweight" form.

What I am hoping for: A S35VN Tenacious in full SE... :rolleyes: