Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Post by Wartstein »

Lumpy620 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:57 am
One in my pocket right now actually:

Fit and finish are solid. Centering is dead on, tiny bit overtightened pivot out of the box, tweaked it a little, perfect action, no play. Lock up started a little earlier than most Spyderco fram/liner locks I've had, but settled into 40%, which for me is optimum.

The finish on the S35VN is a little more polished than my S35VN Native, but the grind is good and even. It wasn't as sharp out of box as some of my other :spyder: 's, it a few passes on the fine rods fixed that up quick. It has performed no different on cardboard and zip-ties than my Native in that regard so far.

One improvement, over my original Tenacious, and this could be me, but I found the screws to strip less, I must have stripped 2-3 sets of clip screws on my original changing a bent/broken clip, but YMMV.

I see a lot of comments on some other interwebs places, which say "I can get a [INSERT CHINESE KNIFE BRAND] with S35VN with G10" for a little less money." So that has certainly had somewhat of an effect on some people's perceptions of it.

Conversely, and I think as others said in the original "S35VN Tenacious: What does it mean?" Thread, that it's not just the materials, but for me it's the company and the knife's design. I really like the form and function of the tenacious, it really works ergonomically for me. I've also come to like Spyderco's FRN more in recent years on my users, compared to G10. I trust Spyderco's QC, would buy a chinese made S35VN blade from them over any other company, who may have good QC but not the track record.

Plus it's rotal blue, the color of the New York Giants so I'm a sucker for that. :o

Thanks, that really helps!

And I am totally with you: I think it would be quite weird to buy a Spyderco just for the materials it is made of... design, ergos, the whole background of the brand and supporting such a great company and so on are what counts for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Now at least this guy is from the US and already has one... :confused: :confused:
(first impressions vid, als most times NOT a review... https://youtu.be/bhXx2_xv2QY&t=1s)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:33 am

Nice try... and perhaps I really should ;) (it seems we in Europe don´t get the chance too often to review knives for our American friends before they get the models in their hands anyway...)

But if I do: Spyderco swap, I am coming!! :D (One of my current knives would have to go then)

I´ll look if I still can find one, and if so, make a final decision. ;)

Having spoken so eloquently about the Tenacious, I think you should buy one anyway, Wartstein.

You may not have to part with any of your current knives as the Tenacious S35VN only costs 114,97 euros. If you decide to buy one, in Cuchillería Gomez they have stock of both versions.

https://www.cuchilleriagomez.com/cuchil ... 2psbl.html
https://www.cuchilleriagomez.com/cuchil ... 22pbl.html
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I got mine exactly a week ago. I was looking for a new EDC at work knife, which has been an ongoing process for the past 10 years. I don't own tons of knives. I'm really particular. The ones I keep are knives that within a day or two feel like they were made for me. A 3" folder is small to me, 4" is the upper limit. I handled a Tenacious in a store about 5 years ago and really liked the design, but not the steel.

So I decided to give the S35VN Tenacious a go. Most dealers showed out of stock, but I found one. When the knife arrived, the pivot screw was too tight and it was set up for left hand tip down carry. Fixed that and proceeded to fall in love with the knife. Fit and finish are great, no flaws. Knife is real solid without being too heavy. Balances about an inch and a quarter behind the blade which feels perfect. Thumb flicks open smooth and slick. Not quite drop shut, but really close. Nice grind for all around use. Rides great in the pocket.

Overall, I'm just amazed by this knife. It's not as nice as my Kapara or GB2, but surprisingly close given the price. I bought it as a work knife, but its been seeing a lot of use outside work.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:46 pm
[Edit: I was told just right now, that the S35VN Tenacious is not even available in the US yet. I was sure it already is, since it even popped up in European stores already. But so it does not get "overlooked" but just not many people had the chance to get one... this thread would be a bit obsolete then :o ]

I can´t recall reading any real reviews or real-life-impressions of the S35 VN Tenacious LW here...

- I wonder why this is..?! Just cause of "China"? Presumed "lesser" fit and finish? Still too pricey for some (the jump in price from 8CR to S35VN too big?)?
- And I am actually more and more thinking about getting one myself - it has so much going for it!
- DOES anyone actually have one and can talk about its fit and finish and how the Chinese factory does the S35VN (I really liked the steel on my (US) Native 5 LW)

Said it in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89241):
I know that especially US folks sometimes hesitate to get "made in China"-stuff, but aside from that: The Tenacious in a "better" than 8CR steel has some great features:

- The "edge all the way to the handle" design that more people seem to like nowadays
- An almost Endura-cutting edge length in a handle that is just 3mm (0.12") longer than a Delica
- Chamfered, wide, comfortable handle
- Not too thick (Endura-ish) blade stock
- And is one of the view "higher end" (here: concerning the steel) Spydercos with a linerlock - in some aspects still the best lock for me, and especially when it comes to operation in the outdoors or harsher environments generally.
- S35VN is a perfectly balanced EDC steels imho, in theory even better than S30V for me (though I could not tell any difference to be honest).
It funny you bring up another knife I've been thinking about. The first Spyderco I ever had was the G10 Tenacious. I thought it was too big and immediately gave it to my brother. I have since grown to love knives of all sizes and regret parting ways with it. I get to sharpen it every few weeks and it reminds me how good it is. I recently purchased a Cat in g10 for my other brother. I would say the Tenacious matched or exceeded the fit and finish of the Cat. The level of quality coming out of the Spyderco Chinese makers is amazing. If I could find one in stock I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. It would be nice to see SPY27 make it in to a Tenacious Lw Sprint.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've handled a few Tenacious in the past, and really loved the design. I never bought one because another Spyderco always comes up first. I really love the Lightweight model, seems like a great improvement to the original. I'd like to blade-swap an S35VN blade into an OD Green model, but again, other things have come up.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I will likely get two or more. A serrated edge for my Dad to see how it holds up for him and at least one for me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 pm
I will likely get two or more. A serrated edge for my Dad to see how it holds up for him and at least one for me.

Unfortunately no full SE on this one... just PE and CE...:(

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89241
8LegLover

Post by 8LegLover »

I have the LW Tenacious, it's a great knife, I carry and use it a ton. It has good fit and finish, smooth action, great size, and they didn't waste any of the blade length for a finger choil. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is that they use the frn scales instead of g10. It still has full metal liners so I'm not sure it's any lighter than my regular g10 version.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 am
..... Maybe you should take the plunge and buy one and write a review for us?
Menipo wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:33 am
Having spoken so eloquently about the Tenacious, I think you should buy one anyway, Wartstein...
My friends, for you I´d bring any sacrifice, and so I did how you told me and bought one... :p

Detailed first impressions will follow soon, but I think I can say right now: Just stunning how good this thing is! Absolutely perfect fit and finish (even that blade centering I don´t care for anyway... ;) ), rock solid, perfect grind, amazing cutter in my first tries.
Only thing: It came with nor or just very little oil around the pivot - easiest fix ever though... ;)

What I really, totally like:
- It actually has an Endura edge length (see pic 1), or, if one measures along the whole edge perhaps even a tad more (due to the more belly) [Edit: The Tenacious edge looks a bit shorter than it actually is in the pic, compared to the Endura, since the tip is a bit farther away from the camera]
- It has great ergos, and the exact same grip area (in length) as a Manix 2 or perhaps a hair more (see pic 2)
- Linerlock works perfectly, strong detent, perfect, full lockup on the tang - and SO convenient and safe to use concerning how the knife remains safely in the hand (in that regards linerlocks are the best locktype perhaps anyway).
And as always: I just don´t get the "fingers all the time out of the blade path" thing (which the linerlock has not of course) - no issues at all there.

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I'm delighted you're so happy, Wartstein. Did you buy it at Cuchillería Gómez online?

The Tenacious will not be part of my collection, I'm afraid. It has a blade that is too wide (for my taste). With the same edge length, the blade shape of the Endura is much more "graceful" for my taste.

That shape (very wide and with a drop point) reminds me a lot of Neolithic knifes, arrowheads and spearheads. I am more from the iron age (when the lesser fragility of the metal allowed to lengthen and stylize the blades) :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 am
I'm delighted you're so happy, Wartstein. Did you buy it at Cuchillería Gómez online?

The Tenacious will not be part of my collection, I'm afraid. It has a blade that is too wide (for my taste). With the same edge length, the blade shape of the Endura is much more "graceful" for my taste.

That shape (very wide and with a drop point) reminds me a lot of Neolithic knifes, arrowheads and spearheads. I am more from the iron age (when the lesser fragility of the metal allowed to lengthen and stylize the blades) :D

No, but thanks a lot for the hint!! :) I was about to buy there, but then Lamnia notified me they had the knife in stock. And since they were always great to work with, I pulled the trigger there.

/ Yes, narrower blade have there pros - but overall I personally prefer wider ones:
- Wider is one factor for better cutting geometry (in blades of the same thickness)
- Better or food prep on the road, spreading stuff like butter on bread, slicing fruits so that the slices don´t fall to the side to early and so on.
- Actually, one thing I like in liner- (and comp.) lock is, that these locktypes allow for a taller blade.
- The blade shape of the Tenacious has its pros and cons too: A pro is, that the rather "high" tip makes for an even longer overall cutting edge to work with (more belly).
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

By the way, there are about a dozen Tenacious models with FRN and 8Cr13MoV steel blade going for just $45-$50.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:13 am
By the way, there are about a dozen Tenacious models with FRN and 8Cr13MoV steel blade going for just $45-$50.
A dozen in FRN and 8Cr13MoV? I am just aware of six (satin and black blade, each in PE,CE ,SE..)

But anyway: If they are of the same quality as the S35VN one I hold in hands, they are worth more than 45 USD imho...
And with the upgraded steel this model is just really, REALLY good for the money, at least my example (don´t know if there perhaps could be more variance in that "value" line than usual)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 am
RamZar wrote:
A dozen in FRN and 8Cr13MoV? I am just aware of six (satin and black blade, each in PE,CE ,SE..)

But anyway: If they are of the same quality as the S35VN one I hold in hands, they are worth more than 45 USD imho...
And with the upgraded steel this model is just really, REALLY good for the money, at least my example (don´t know if there perhaps could be more variance in that "value" line than usual)

Another 8 were released this year for $45-$50:

1. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin PlainEdge Tan FRN C122PTN (China) - JAN 2021
  2. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin ComboEdge Tan FRN C122PSTN (China) - JAN 2021
  3. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV PlainEdge Black Blade Tan FRN C122PTNBK (China) - JAN 2021
  4. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Black Blade ComboEdge Tan FRN C122PSTNBK (China) - JAN 2021
  5. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin PlainEdge Tan OD Green C122POD (China) - JAN 2021
  6. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin ComboEdge OD Green FRN C122PSOD (China) - JAN 2021
  7. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV PlainEdge Black Blade OD Green FRN C122PODBK (China) - JAN 2021
  8. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Black Blade ComboEdge OD Green FRN C122PSODBK (China) - JAN 2021
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 am
RamZar wrote:

Another 10 were released this year for $45-$50:

1. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin PlainEdge Tan FRN C122PTN (China) - JAN 2021
  2. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin ComboEdge Tan FRN C122PSTN (China) - JAN 2021
  3. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV PlainEdge Black Blade Tan FRN C122PTNBK (China) - JAN 2021
  4. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Black Blade ComboEdge Tan FRN C122PSTNBK (China) - JAN 2021
  5. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin PlainEdge Tan OD Green C122POD (China) - JAN 2021
  6. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Satin ComboEdge OD Green FRN C122PSOD (China) - JAN 2021
  7. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV PlainEdge Black Blade OD Green FRN C122PODBK (China) - JAN 2021
  8. Tenacious Lightweight 8Cr13MoV Black Blade ComboEdge OD Green FRN C122PSODBK (China) - JAN 2021
Wow, thanks!! :)

Did not know that, since till now I was not too interested in the model. But in S35VN it could actually get in my top 3 list...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the write up Wartstein! Have you tried changing the clip position? If so did you notice a bunch of white loctite on the threads or was it just a normal amount or none?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:08 am
Thanks for the write up Wartstein! Have you tried changing the clip position? If so did you notice a bunch of white loctite on the threads or was it just a normal amount or none?

Yes, it came tip down carry, I changed to tio tio up. Blue loctite, and the right amoint...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It seems to be a very nice knife, made to Spyderco standards. However, I have so much Chinese made stuff now that I have zero need to seek out more. I do have a black on black Tenacious combo blade that I picked up used.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 am
Menipo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 am

No, but thanks a lot for the hint!! :) I was about to buy there, but then Lamnia notified me they had the knife in stock. And since they were always great to work with, I pulled the trigger there.

/ Yes, narrower blade have there pros - but overall I personally prefer wider ones:
- Wider is one factor for better cutting geometry (in blades of the same thickness)
- Better or food prep on the road, spreading stuff like butter on bread, slicing fruits so that the slices don´t fall to the side to early and so on.
- Actually, one thing I like in liner- (and comp.) lock is, that these locktypes allow for a taller blade.
- The blade shape of the Tenacious has its pros and cons too: A pro is, that the rather "high" tip makes for an even longer overall cutting edge to work with (more belly).

Keep an eye on them. They use to be cheaper than Lamnia (in this case only 1.5 euros but I saved 15% on my Endela) and they ship free if purchases are +40 euros (+120 Lamnia). In addition they are as quick in terms of shipment and reliable as Lamnia or K&T (I am a client of all of them).

As to the advantages of wider blades .... well, it is clear that we have different tastes (and prepare different food: in the Mediterranean diet we do not tend to spread too much of almost nothing on bread and particularly butter).

And for peeling or coreing an apple (or preparing an orange) I think a long, thin blade is much more effective (that's why paring knives are more like an Ikuchi than a Manix or Native).

In any case, to each their own, so tutti contenti!! Enjoy your new "Toynacious" :D