Chaparral LW in colors, please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Chaparral LW in new colors

yes
81%
no
4%
If grey was good enough for Sal it is good enough for me.
15%

Total votes: 53

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Chaparral LW in colors, please

Post by Doc Dan »

Reading JC1's post about getting a Chaparral, brought to my mind, once again, that we need some new colors in the LW FRN version.

I'd like to see dusty pink for my wife. The current grey is good for me, but I really like that Coyote Tan the Urban LW got a couple of years ago. Olive drab would be okay, also, if it was a nice shade (not regular olive).

Anyone else want to see this?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DansGearAddiction

Re: Chaparral LW in colors, please

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Agreed on more colors. I'd also like to see G10 as an option (aside from Sun and Moon), as well as a revival of the titanium scaled series, preferably in flat Ti like the Sage or Mantra 1.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Of course! :)

I´ve been praising the Chap LW for quite some time now and am so glad that it finally seems to get more appreciation here beyond its presumed (only) role as a "gents knife".
If one sees Spyderco as the performance-oriented company they are imho, the Chap should be "the" small, extremely capable folder in their lineup: A blade that is perfect for any just remotely sensible knife task due to its reasonable thin, but strong enough bladestock and a lot of edge in a small package

More colors can only help to make the Chap even more popular, perhaps generally shift the small folder lineup a bit away from imho unnecessary thick blade stocks and perhaps even open a a way to the Chap XL, which could be the perfect EDC if one actually wants a great cutting tool... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 pm
Agreed on more colors. I'd also like to see G10 as an option (aside from Sun and Moon), as well as a revival of the titanium scaled series, preferably in flat Ti like the Sage or Mantra 1.

Yes I think g10 would be a good option for different colors. I would definitely be in for a flat titanium version.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
kobold

Post by kobold »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 pm
+1

Or Fluted Ti!
(If Taichung can pull it off)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I want to see blue or pink pearl Kirinite. That would be the cat's pajamas.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

More colors would be nice. Most of the color changes for spyderco denote different blade materials, even though the chap was basically more to show different handle materials/types. Maybe we could see a little of both with the frn lw.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I want salt... In whatever color...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:34 am
I want salt... In whatever color...
And SE... :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the Chap LW in colors would be home run. It seems to me that the Chap LW should become the 'Golden Delica'. Lots of options and variants (and maybe even other steels) to carry the good word of Spyderco out to the heathens.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:17 am
I think the Chap LW in colors would be home run. It seems to me that the Chap LW should become the 'Golden Delica'. Lots of options and variants (and maybe even other steels) to carry the good word of Spyderco out to the heathens.

Perfectly said!! :)

Variants (be it steel, colors or watever) to attract more people would certainly open also more eyes to the performance-features of the Chap
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Been thinking about a blue rit dye over the factory gray, just not sure how it would come out. Probably pretty dark because you are starting with a medium gray instead of white. Maybe a color other than blue might take better??? Someone experiment on their Chappy and get back to us, lol!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Agreed on more colors, especially earth tones.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm not one to get different colors just to get different colors. Now if it's connected to different steels.... well then I make bad fiscal choices that benefit Spyderco.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I parted ways with the Chap LW and opted for the G10 and carbon fiber so no longer a knife I'm interested in, but I am certain others would enjoy it in different colors. I'd like to see it remain within the gentleman's knife arena so no froot loop colors on this one. I'd like to suggest marbled FRN.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't vote because for me it's yes...and...no. Haha

Yes, of course I like different colors. I already have several knives with grey handles. So something different would be nice depending.

No, I don't need to be tempted to buy any more variations of the same knife
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yes, and can one of the colors please be in micarta?
:spyder:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

There are few a colors I’d like!
The ivory white and and earth tone colors look really good in FRN.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JMM

Post by JMM »

I like the Chaparral platform, I have 4 with one on the way -- but to go down the new colour rabbit hold I would propose taking a page from the Sage handbook and do them with new steels as well, something like...

Burnt Orange - Rex45
Toxic Green - LC200N

...and perhaps S90V, 4V, K390, M390 with diff colours?

Just my 2c
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 pm
I like the Chaparral platform, I have 4 with one on the way -- but to go down the new colour rabbit hold I would propose taking a page from the Sage handbook and do them with new steels as well, something like...

Burnt Orange - Rex45
Toxic Green - LC200N

...and perhaps S90V, 4V, K390, M390 with diff colours?

Just my 2c

And my 2c too... ;)

Generally in my humble opinion it is time that Spyderco gets even more into thinner, better performing blade stocks, and the Chap would be a perfect platform for this.
Nothing at all against thick blades on small folders for those who like that, but there is already a good choice of more "junky" little knives in the lineup...