Spyderco Custom Shop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stainless

Spyderco Custom Shop

Post by Stainless »

How would you feel about Spyderco doing a custom knife shop? Sal Glesser said recently on the Spyderco forums that there are some plans and a lot of internal interest in this.
1231313123.jpg
As an example Spyderco could offer a few of their most popular models with your choice of S45vn, 20CV, or M4. Plain or Tanto. Satin or DLC. Then maybe four different colors of G10 or FRN. Optional laser engraving? Again, this is just an example.
I think Spyderco could pull off both exclusive/sprint runs which we all love and also customization options for their most popular models at a premium price that a lot of people would gladly pay.
I think if they just offered 2-4 options for:
1.) Blade Shape
2.) Blade Steel
3.) Blade Finish
4.) Scales
5.) Hardware (Clip/Screws etc etc)

I think it would be a big hit and it would be very successful.
Maybe start with the PM2 and Para 3 then expand to other popular models.
The sky is the limit for options. It really boils down to what they can offer.
concept.png
Concept photoshop based on the Benchmade custom shop.
Last edited by Stainless on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Para 3 M390/20cv/204p | We need a #VanaxPara3
Jared

Re: Spyderco Custom Shop

Post by Jared »

I would order at least one, at least if analysis paralysis didn’t kick in. Then I’d spend forever trying to choose the exact configuration I wanted.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

If I can get CF scales in the custom shop I'm all for it.
Stay sharp!
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

As long as they let me pick bright, colorful options, and have my choice of steel, I'd be happy to.

I'd love to make a custom police, for instance, or a custom endura!

I doubt they'd have any fixed blades on offer, but if they did I'd just about do a backflip if I'm allowed to make a large stainless fixed blade.
Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Sorry guys I edited my post it should come back soon.
Team Para 3 M390/20cv/204p | We need a #VanaxPara3
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's been brought up here multiple times. it's been shot down every time. the funny thing is, if you look at the website, tons of the production knives are out of stock but the sprints and exclusives are rolling out like mad. they're kind of becoming a custom shop already, just not the way many of us had asked.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ever feel like you're in the movie Groundhog Day?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I thought this had been shut down quite a bit, but apparently Eric is for it?

I’d be into testing this with Golden models first, the PM2 and Para 3 are ideal candidates. G-10 or Micarta would be great options (hint: I’d buy all micarta everything).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I quick search yielded these....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85703

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86574

viewtopic.php?t=88521

viewtopic.php?t=87087

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80885

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69195

I have mixed feelings about the whole custom shop idea. I'm not really against the idea as long as models and options are limited so sprints and exclusives can't be duplicated
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

I'm in for a Smock. Juicy!
CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
kobold

Post by kobold »

I always* wanted to have a rainbow of Natives anyway.

* - last six months
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As busy as they already are ( the production schedule seems to be booked solid for a year or more), I would hate to see them diverting resources for a custom shop.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Many of us have brought this up multiple times and we will probably continue to do so. I think it is a good idea as long as they don't over extend themselves. However, I thought I read where they are expanding? If so, then maybe they will make room for a small corner for a custom shop of limited offerings.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:27 am
As busy as they already are ( the production schedule seems to be booked solid for a year or more), I would hate to see them diverting resources for a custom shop.
If it happened, it would likely require a dedicated crew/shop.

I have a few things I could dream up. Although, I know they would never offer the models I had in mind.
:p :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I’m opposed as I think it would take away from the awesome exclusives that companies make. If I can go replicate them with a bit of a mark up, what’s the incentive to support a company that makes a major investment of an exclusive run.

My .02. Happy Easter y’all!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:00 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:27 am
If it happened, it would likely require a dedicated crew/shop.

I have a few things I could dream up. Although, I know they would never offer the models I had in mind.
:p :D
Yes, and it's not like you can hire day labor off the street for that work.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I would imagine they would have to walk a fine line of not allowing past exclusives/sprints and also having enough variety for people to choose from.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

I would be happy if they even sold it as a DIY knife, just all the parts that were chosen put in a box which you assemble.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I hardly ever get in on Sprints. I wish they could expand and just make more knives. If Sprint knives sat on shelves for 3 to 6 months, I could get in on some of them. Spyderco makes the best knives as far as steels go and their designs are right up there at all times.

But, I'm on a fixed income right now and would not be able to buy 5 more knives a year. As it is I get 5 to 10 knives a year now and that is about all that I can handle.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Can I order a Tanto 🤣
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal