The one that got away

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CalRob

The one that got away

Post by CalRob »

I've been wanting a new knife, I'd had done all my research. Countless hours of ingesting reviews, looking for good prices, making sure this was the knife I wanted to spend my hard earned money on.

I found the spydiechef, in stock, at a local dealer. Price was right. Just had to wait until today to go and buy it (day off wok). I called the shop, and it was gone. None in stock. I'm slightly heartbroken.

I'm sure another batch of spydiechef's are going to come in soon, but I was sooo ready to go get it today. I'm in Toronto btw, in case anyone knows a place. I don't want to ship one from the US, just in case.
Evil D

Re: The one that got away

Post by Evil D »

Boy that's a long list unfortunately. I'd say almost everything that has been offered in SE for the last 10 years, the last Ayoob sprint, the Captain, the Ulize even though I do have one, countless sprints and exclusives. I've missed more than I've caught.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
CalRob

Post by CalRob »

Not a knife, but I also missed out on a Seiko orange monster gen 2. They've quadrupled in price.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

When I first got into this micarta C54 Calypsos were still easy to come by for reasonable prices. Ughh...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
z1r

Post by z1r »

I hate when that happens. The Spyderco shop has a Smock in stock, I hope it's still there when I can afford it!
JSNV

Post by JSNV »

CalRob wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:11 pm
I've been wanting a new knife, I'd had done all my research. Countless hours of ingesting reviews, looking for good prices, making sure this was the knife I wanted to spend my hard earned money on.

I found the spydiechef, in stock, at a local dealer. Price was right. Just had to wait until today to go and buy it (day off wok). I called the shop, and it was gone. None in stock. I'm slightly heartbroken.

I'm sure another batch of spydiechef's are going to come in soon, but I was sooo ready to go get it today. I'm in Toronto btw, in case anyone knows a place. I don't want to ship one from the US, just in case.
Hi CaRob,

Felllow Canadian here.Check out Cutting Edge Cutlery. They have them in stock: https://cuttingedgecutleryco.com/search ... spydiechef

I just picked up a K390 Police4 from them and was really impressed with their fast shipping.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi CalRob, JSVN,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I'm a newbie to spyderco and I've gotten lucky in obtaining the models I want but I did miss out on the para 2 with s90v and CF scales.
Stay sharp!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for me, it's mostly older disco'd models that were gone before i was back into spyderco. the two that i really want are the dodo and ayoob. i'm kind of kicking myself for not getting the manix backlock when i had the chance. it was in my pocket at sfo when i visited, but i decided it wasn't my favorite because of its thickness. it would be a great camp knife though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I postponed getting a Gayle Bradley 2 folder, and now that I am looking for one I cannot find any in stock. In theory, they are still “in production” according to the latest calalogue, but who knows when, if ever, another run will see the light of day.

Another regret is a pass on a Caly 3 Damascus CF years ago.

Another is a pass on a Sage 4 back lock (with Ti bolsters and Ironwood scales).

This thread is making me sad.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

Orange Spyderhawk sprint is the first one that jumps out for me. Underestimated how fast they were selling and sat on the fence too long. Once I decided to grab one they were gone. Not a huge deal though, hopefully another one happens.
:spyder:
CalRob

Post by CalRob »

JSNV wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm
CalRob wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi CaRob,

Felllow Canadian here.Check out Cutting Edge Cutlery. They have them in stock: https://cuttingedgecutleryco.com/search ... spydiechef

I just picked up a K390 Police4 from them and was really impressed with their fast shipping.
Thank you!

I inquired with my local dealer, as I prefer to give them my business, and they're not sure when they're getting another batch in. Unfortunately, I really want to touch the knife before I buy it. I'd also like to know if the knife is the CQI version.

That being said, I just might end up with a knife in the mail.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:29 pm
I postponed getting a Gayle Bradley 2 folder, and now that I am looking for one I cannot find any in stock. In theory, they are still “in production” according to the latest calalogue, but who knows when, if ever, another run will see the light of day.

I bought my caly 3.5 from cutlery shoppe. I think I saw Country knives has them in stock.
Stay sharp!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Steels are always getting better, but that’s small consolation when there’s a past design you fall in love with...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Brock O Lee wrote:

I think they will probably do another run of Bradley 2s. Just make sure you buy when they're available, they seem to sell out quickly when they drop.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 pm
When I first got into this micarta C54 Calypsos were still easy to come by for reasonable prices. Ughh...

I remember seeing one in my local shop gently used for $100. Oh to have a time machine :(
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I let a cruwear delica slip away very sad and disappointed
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 pm

I remember seeing one in my local shop gently used for $100. Oh to have a time machine :(
Yeah, around 2013-2015 they were going for $100-$120 on the bay. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:26 am
Brock O Lee wrote:

I think they will probably do another run of Bradley 2s. Just make sure you buy when they're available, they seem to sell out quickly when they drop.
I found a LNIB GB2 for sale locally this week. Less sad now... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
archangel

Post by archangel »

There are more than one. St.Nick's Lil' Native in 4V, 40th anniversary Damasteel Native, I'm sure there are more but they just won't pop into my mind right now...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...