Tanto Para2: This Is The Real Deal & Thank you Eric Glesser

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Tanto Para2: This Is The Real Deal & Thank you Eric Glesser

Post by JD Spydo »

Just got myself a Para2 Tanto model today with M-4 blade steel and needless to say I'm highly delighted :) It's just a bit different of a Tanto design than the C-46 Lum Tanto folder that I've owned and used for years. But this particular Eric Glesser design keeps him at the top of the list as far as my favorite knife designers are concerned. Yep the same genius that gave us the Dodo model created this one as well ;)

I do think that M-4 is an excellent choice for the blade steel of such a nice design. Although there are a couple of other blade steels I would like to see it in. It just further validates my growing love for Golden, CO USA Earth Spyderco blades. I've had an affinity for GOLDEN, CO blades for quite some time now and it seems like they just keep getting better each year.

If any of you have one of these gems or even care to comment on it I would love to hear your input on this great version of the Para2 model. Tanto blades can be a bit tricky to sharpen but this one is not going to be that hard to turn into a laser from what I see so far. I love the extremely strong spine on this bad boy :cool:
Henry_P

Re: Tanto Para2: This Is The Real Deal & Thank you Eric Glesser

Post by Henry_P »

I like the fact that due to the extra weight of the blade it has an extremely smooth action. Probably the best of any PM2. The only downside is that my blade rubs against the G10 when I open and close it due to the thicker blade near the tip.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’ve got the same one with the satin blade. That thicker blade makes it swing open and closed different than my others.

My blade was just touching the side. I loosened the pivot and two screws along the spine, inserted a thick coupon, folded over, on the side that was touching. Then tightened the pivot, then middle, then back screw. That fixed it.

Both sides of the blade still come close to touching, but that’s due to the thicker blade.
MoeFrappy

Post by MoeFrappy »

I never been big on Tantos but the PM2 in tanto is fantastic. I have the M4 model also. It should become standard model instead of a bladehq exclusive.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD, I'll be excited to hear how you like it after a few weeks of EDC. I think our tastes are pretty close together, and but I've resisted buying a Tanto knife for a long time. This one is kind of tempting.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:18 pm
Just got myself a Para2 Tanto model today with M-4 blade steel
How much did you pay?
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I don't own a Spyderco tanto (I have an Emerson, a CRKT, and a cheap Milwaukee), but despite my disdain for the blade shape, it's quite practical. I was cleaning out an outbuilding, and breaking up a pushmower box. The CRKT M-16 10KZ was used in addition to my Saver Salt for cutting up that monster of a box (more than 1/4 thick corrugated cardboard). The only problem the CRKT had was the slim, narrow handle of the smaller 4" EDC version over the full-size model. A Paramilitary 2 would've been perfect. The Emerson Mini CQC-7 I have needs to be brought into EDC. I bought it cheap several years ago (it was in rough shape, and I was almost certain it was fake until Emerson confirmed the opposite). I did a crappy job sharpening the beat-up blade, and need to start over.

M4 and a thick blade really suits what a tanto is capable of very well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:08 pm
JD, I'll be excited to hear how you like it after a few weeks of EDC. I think our tastes are pretty close together, and but I've resisted buying a Tanto knife for a long time. This one is kind of tempting.
Oh it's going to go into my "user rotation" for sure. But at this time I'm just blown away using my 2011 vintage C-60 Ayoob and I've just fallen in love again with what I believe might be thee very best collaboration Spyderco ever did IMO. I just can't wait for the new C-60 Sprint Run to be released. I've got some cash set aside just to get about 3 or 4 of those when they hit.

After checking out this new Tanto Para2 I now more than ever want to see a newer Para2 in full SE. And the C-36 Military to also return in full SE as well.

I've had my C-46 Lum Tanto for quite some time now and I'm here to tell you all that Spyderco's tanto blades are different and more functional than most other tanto blades I've tried. They are far better than any Cold Steel Tanto blades I've ever owned. I will admit that I like the Lum tanto design just a bit better than this one on the new Para2. But I haven't used this new Para2 yet and I might just have a different viewpoint as time goes on. It's going to be interesting that's for sure.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wow, JD - you actually bought a new Spydie?! :p :D :)

It does sound like a great model and steel though. I’ll be following your reports on it with interest.

Could this be a new Golden Age? :p :) :cool: :spyder:
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I have one coming today. Satin M4. Seeing this thread made me even more excited.

I never really liked tantos until I got a Norseman, of all things. Since then I've been using them more and more.

Really can't wait to get it in hand and test it!
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would really really REALLY love to see this same blade done on a Military. It's also a combo that I'd be super happy to get in combo edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:20 am
I would really really REALLY love to see this same blade done on a Military. It's also a combo that I'd be super happy to get in combo edge.
I have one caveat to that suggestion>> if they are going to do a C-36 Military model with a Tanto blade then I would want to see them do something with a blade that long similar to the Tanto blade that they used on the C-46 Lum Tanto folder model.

Because the more streamlined version of that particular Tanto design is much more appropriate and practical for a longer blade like the size of the C-36 Military model. But I'm sure it's something that the Great Spyder Factory could work out with a modified design.

Tanto blades sure have their place as most all specific blade designs do. However they do require a stronger blade ( better grade of blade steel) and a more rigid spine. Yes indeed I think that could be an excellent idea for sure. Sign me up for one in advance.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Wow, JD - you actually bought a new Spydie?! :p :D :)

It does sound like a great model and steel though. I’ll be following your reports on it with interest.

Could this be a new Golden Age? :p :) :cool: :spyder:
I've been medically shipwrecked and financially challenged in the past 18 months because of two radical shoulder surgeries. But be rest assured I'm not out of the game by any means. Where there's a "WILL" there's a "WAY" my friend. Been doing more trading in the past two years but overall it just gives me a lot to look forward to. Especially with the new C-60 Ayoob on the horizon :cool:

Don't think for one second I'm giving up my Spyderville citizenship by any means. I'm on the mend and close to being fully back in the game again. :)
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

I was fortunate to get a Tanto Para2 M4 Jade and it is a nice knife. I am working through lockstick at the moment; however, I do like this tanto blade. Nice sprint here. Now, how about a year of Taichung sprints!
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd like one, so maybe in the future I'll shop around for one on the secondary market. Too bad they are not part of the regular deliveries.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hard to get excited for a design you have to wait on BHQ for. I'd really love a 4V DLC one with Red G-10.... 😭
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You always have had good taste in knives Joe. :) Solid design and an excellent steel. It should last a long, long time.

Joe