First Spyderco - S30v or SPY27?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: First Spyderco - S30v or SPY27?

Post by swigert »

Having owned both knives. I’d go native all day long.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd go with Spy27 just because it's new. The Native 5 is a great little knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Did not try SPY27 yet, but I am sure it is a great, well balanced steel. So is S30V..

/ Sidenote: Sizewise and how the lock is operated the Manix 2 (LW or G10) is closer to the BM Griptillian. And the Manix can also be had in SPY27 and S30V

That being said: Of course the Native is a great choice too, but closer to the MINI Griptillian.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Halfbore

Post by Halfbore »

After a lot of back and forth I went with my gut and ordered the Native 5 in SPY27. Who would think selecting the right knife could cause such angst? Yesterday afternoon I was ready to order but then had to work through all the options again. Had the Para 3 in my cart for awhile. The Manix made a brief appearance. Decided ultimately the Native sounded like a good knife, maybe not as fancy or fidget-able as the others, but the quality should be there. I think that means I’m getting old when I’m picking quality over bells and whistles.
Hope I made the right choice. I’ll find out in a few days or week or however long it takes to get here.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Let us know about your experience and congrats!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfbore wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:18 am
After a lot of back and forth I went with my gut and ordered the Native 5 in SPY27. Who would think selecting the right knife could cause such angst? Yesterday afternoon I was ready to order but then had to work through all the options again. Had the Para 3 in my cart for awhile. The Manix made a brief appearance. Decided ultimately the Native sounded like a good knife, maybe not as fancy or fidget-able as the others, but the quality should be there. I think that means I’m getting old when I’m picking quality over bells and whistles.
Hope I made the right choice. I’ll find out in a few days or week or however long it takes to get here.

I am sure you did make the right choice! :)
The Native is a really good one, if you are looking for such a small knife! And it has one of the best backlocks I´ve ever experienced (and for me the backlock generally is the best, most versatile and safest in operation, use and in the pocket anyway)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

My Native 5 LW in Spy 27 is a nice little knife
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome to the Spydie Forum!

Flip a coin regarding which steel. I have a lot of S30V and a couple now with SPY27. They're both really good steels. So you won't go wrong with either. Manix 2 LW SPY27 in my pocket today :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
chrisb507

Post by chrisb507 »

Great choice with the Native 5! I wouldn't worry about steel as much if you have a few knives in your rotation and you aren't doing anything too crazy with them.
Stainless

Post by Stainless »

S30V is good enough for most people but from what I understand Spy27 is like an improved s35v - I could be wrong.
Team Para 3 M390/20cv/204p | We need a #VanaxPara3
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Once you (almost certainly) find the N5 LW to your liking, you owe it to yourself to try the linerless G10 Native 5! If you wind up liking one scale material and steel over the other, you can always do a blade swap :D

My only grumble about the N5 platform is the thick-behind-the-edge grind... though that does make for a better hard use blade, which the lock and ergos are certainly up for.

As others have said, you really couldn't go wrong on this one.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Halfbore

Post by Halfbore »

I'm pretty happy with my choice now that I've made it. Just too many options leading up to it. The SPY27 over S30v was an easier decision than model. Figure if I'm going to go Spyderco, might as well try their proprietary steel. I almost bought the SPY27 mule. Had it in my cart ready to checkout, just had to click submit. Decided as excited as people were about that one that I owed it to someone else to let them add it to their collection. Kind of regret that now. Maybe I'll get in on the next one and do some trading. For sure my next one will likely be the Para 3, probably in SPY27. We'll see though...
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

kobold wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:39 pm
I bought a Native in Spy27 a few weeks ago, it came very sharp, it is very light, no any kind of play, pretty happy with it. It is my fifth Native 5.. and still wanna buy another two or three. :rolleyes:

About the steel: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/

Since you own 5 Spyderco Native knives you would be a good person to ask...

Have you ever had any issues when breaking in any of your Spyderco Native knives?

When I got my Salt I thought it was a dud, but it’s very smooth now. I use it as a secondary knife or even a third. It’s probably my most carried Spyderco.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
kobold

Post by kobold »

No problems. The one in titanium was and still is the smoothest by far. If there was a change over time it is imperceptible. The G10 (with phosphor bronze washers) also feels pretty smooth and drop-shuts well enough.
These are also silent in action.
In comparison, some of the FRN ones feel unsophisticated. The friction is not only tactile, but also audible.
The one in S35VN, which is nearly unused is both smooth and drop-shuts just fine.
My new Spy27 runs smooth, but wont drop-shut readily (yet?).
The older and most used one in LC200N feels less smooth, jerky even, but it is drop shutting to the 90 degree position with minimal wrist action.
I think some - or most - of the friction is from the spring interfacing the tang, not from the FRN.
Still, I would like to see PB washers in all of them. I think the extra cost would be worth it.

Overall, the differences are small and not significant enough to influence my use or purchase decisions.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Halfbore wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 am
Hi all. Been Lurking for quite awhile. Signed up and still lurking. Looking at my first "good" knife. Narrowed it down to a Benchmade Griptillian or Spyderco Native 5. Leaning towards the Spyderco and today I see the Native 5 in SPY27 is back in stock on their website. I'm still learning steels (there's sooo much to learn). Between the S30v and SPY27, which would be a better choice?

Thanks.
Vince

Don't fall for "SPY27 because it's new"...
SPY27 is not "better" but is certainly more expensive than S30V.
If you don't have color preferences I would go for the S30V model.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PC ... rn-handles

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PB ... rn-handles
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:56 pm
Halfbore wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 am
Hi all. Been Lurking for quite awhile. Signed up and still lurking. Looking at my first "good" knife. Narrowed it down to a Benchmade Griptillian or Spyderco Native 5. Leaning towards the Spyderco and today I see the Native 5 in SPY27 is back in stock on their website. I'm still learning steels (there's sooo much to learn). Between the S30v and SPY27, which would be a better choice?

Thanks.
Vince

Don't fall for "SPY27 because it's new"...
SPY27 is not "better" but is certainly more expensive than S30V.
If you don't have color preferences I would go for the S30V model.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PC ... rn-handles

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PB ... rn-handles
In what ways have you found SPY-27 to be no improvement over S30V? Curious minds want to know. I have no experience with either.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:56 pm
As others have said, the steels are similar enough in performance that you should focus on get the model you like most. With that said, if you like the Native lightweight best, then I say get the spy27. I've really been happy with it on my para3 lightweight - it's super easy to get screaming sharp, and holds an edge plenty well. Plus it's unique to Spyderco, which is pretty special, imo.

Oh btw, welcome to the forum!
Great to know, just ordered one!
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

People pooh-pooh S30v, but I gifted two of my friends Dragonflys in S30v and both knives were by far the sharpest out-of-the-box knives I've ever handled. I think Spyderco has their S30v down really well and I think you can't really go wrong with them.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

M Sea wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:52 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:56 pm
As others have said, the steels are similar enough in performance that you should focus on get the model you like most. With that said, if you like the Native lightweight best, then I say get the spy27. I've really been happy with it on my para3 lightweight - it's super easy to get screaming sharp, and holds an edge plenty well. Plus it's unique to Spyderco, which is pretty special, imo.

Oh btw, welcome to the forum!
Great to know, just ordered one!
I think you'll love the steel - it's a pleasure to sharpen!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Relax! Spyderco is a pretty good outfit. They want you to have a knife that you will be pleased with. So, the steel will be just fine. Two years ago I wanted to buy the Spyderco Chief. But, I put it off because at that time there was a lot of “dissatisfaction” with s30v. A year ago I bought the Chief with a s30v blade. Carried it for 365 days on the farm. Used the **** out of it. Easy to sharpen. Holds a great edge. No rust. No chipping. Love it. I’m sure SPY27 would do just as well. Pick the one you like! You’ll be pleased.