[UPDATE 2022] THANKS Sal for this knife! (Salt 2 ffg SE - First impressions)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: THANKS Sal for this knife! (Salt 2 ffg SE - First impressions)

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 am
I am waiting until I think they have got all of the bugs ( :p ) worked out of these before I get one.

Me, too. It’s strange how there seem to be more reported issues with these LC200N Seki Salts than I’ve ever heard about with the H1 models, or any other models, considering.

Jim

Well, it seems like with the Salts in ffg SE it is worth asking the dealer to check for bladeplay indeed (or go to a brick an mortar store and try yourself).
I ordered two more: Wanted one as a gift, and, I have to admit it, as such to be perfect, so I ordered two in order to send the "worse" one back (I don´t ever return knives normally, but in this case knowing that their might be blade play (which I don´t want in a gift for someone who gets his first Spyderco)! I felt this was ok).

Plus: I asked the dealer (Lamnia) to check for bladeplay on both: (which they said they would and obviously actually DID)

What can I say: They are both clearly better concerning blade play than my own one that I got quite recently.
Mine has both side to side play and some lock rock, these two no side to side play and lock rock can only be provoked with a lot of force.

I don´t mind that bit of play in mine - but I WOULD in the larger Pac Salt, and I would not want it in a Salt 2 I gift to someone.

Anyway, and again: I think most are really good, but some seem to have a bit more play, and it is certainly worth it asking the dealer to check for that!

That being said: I totally love my Salt 2 ffg SE :)
It is just the perfect lightweight - , but still extremely capable option!
A dream come true for mountaineers and lightweight hikers.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am
Glad you finally got yours. Even if you don't need a rust proof knife, the light weight, full flat grind and nice serration pattern make a great EDC / hiker.

Any plans to get a Pacific too or are you going to stick with this one?

Now that I know Lamnia will perfectly check for bladeplay for me, I certainly will get one too in the not to far future! :)

You know, an Endura/Pac Salt in ffg SE is probably the most perfect (and could get the most carried) folder for me, and as such I want it to be perfect, so no blade play in this one (while I don´t mind it in the Salt 2)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks everyone, thanks to Wartstein.
I got my Salt2 FFG Wharncliffe SE!
A very light knife! This blade is made to cut! The handle is very comfortable! It seems to me that this is my favorite for the near future.
Until the new Spyderco at least.

I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

That's a good looking knife. Congrats!

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:57 am
That's a good looking knife. Congrats!

u.w.

+1
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks everyone, thanks to Wartstein.
I got my Salt2 FFG Wharncliffe SE!
A very light knife! This blade is made to cut! The handle is very comfortable! It seems to me that this is my favorite for the near future.
Until the new Spyderco at least.

Glad you picked one up and like it! :)

It IS an amazing performer, can't imagine that many who try this knife really want to return to thicker bladestock in small knives, purely practically speaking.

And it is really nice to have this performance in a package that weighs like nothing.

For me the clearly "better BM Bugout" (viewtopic.php?t=88925)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just as an update:

Helped my father to cut a few smaller branches in his garden and used the Salt 2 for this:
Man, it is really an amazing cutter!! Performance wise, as long as I don´t need a longer cutting edge, I think I´d have no reason to ever carry another knife - The thin blade and the SE pattern are just a perfect combination.

And: Like with my even thinner Chap I twisted the blade quite a bit: Really strong. I don´t see why any small folder would need thicker bladestock, from a performance point of view.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This is a spontaneous update of this thread that I started a year ago when I got my Salt 2 ffg - just because yesterday that little guy amazed me once more with how capable it is for the "nothing" one carries.

So, once again! THANKS, Sal, for making this knife!! :smlling-eyes

Nothing spectacular, it just happened that on yesterdays hike the Salt had to do a lot of different cutting tasks, and I just enjoyed the concept of minimal carry, but absolutely great performance for that!

So I prepared a fire (the SE excels in making very fine feathersticks!) and a simple meal with the Salt, carved some rings in the bark of a dead tree to turn it into a target for my throwing knives, removed a splinter from my hand and cut some band aid in shape, cut myself free from some vine I got tangled in, scraped resin from my palm, cut me a long hiking pole to aid climbing a very steep slope, made some holes in a leather sheath for on the go stitching and probably I am forgetting some more tasks of that afternoon.

Again: Sure, the PAC Salt for example would be just slightly heavier and more versatile from a practical point of view! But as a knife enthusiast I sometimes just enjoy, as said, the CONCEPT of carrying as little as possible, and still getting such great performance!!

jwbnyc

Re: [UPDATE 2022] THANKS Sal for this knife! (Salt 2 ffg SE - First impressions)

Post by jwbnyc »

That’s great Wartstein!

The Salt 2 has me eyeing an Atlantic Salt SE LC200N, just for a bit of extra length.
Wartstein

Re: [UPDATE 2022] THANKS Sal for this knife! (Salt 2 ffg SE - First impressions)

Post by Wartstein »

jwbnyc wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:39 am
That’s great Wartstein!

The Salt 2 has me eyeing an Atlantic Salt SE LC200N, just for a bit of extra length.

Good idea, the Atlantic Salt is certainly a great choice from all i can tell (never had one myself!) - handle shape very, very simliar to the PM2, but presumably more comfortable due to chamfering, closed back and no comp.lock cutout, and actually more cutting edge than a PM2 - and very much lighter (extremely light, actually).

If I got an Atlantic, I´d certainly mod the blade from sheepsfoot to wharnie though.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

Thanx for the update.....and the plug :smiling-cheeks

Experiencing the "cut".

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 am
Hi Warstein,

Thanx for the update.....and the plug :smiling-cheeks

Experiencing the "cut".

sal

Sal, I can´t praise this knife enough!!

It is P E R F E C T for mountaineering and hiking, if one wants to go light and still enjoy exceptional performance by the knife they bring!

Always happy to promote that thing and I´ve already gifted two to fellow mountaineers. :smlling-eyes
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure it is as close to a perfect knife, for those who value its attributes, as exists. I value those attributes, and would certainly have one now, but I have the Salt 1 SE. I think they are interchangeable. I'm sure there is room for both though.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I really want a piece of LC200N in SE.
LC200N has been really surprising to me. I love how resilient this steel is.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:25 am
I really want a piece of LC200N in SE.
LC200N has been really surprising to me. I love how resilient this steel is.
Well... that Salt 2 SE is actually available... ;)
olywa

Post by olywa »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:12 pm
jwbnyc wrote:
That’s great Wartstein!

Good idea, the Atlantic Salt is certainly a great choice from all i can tell (never had one myself!) - handle shape very, very simliar to the PM2, but presumably more comfortable due to chamfering, closed back and no comp.lock cutout, and actually more cutting edge than a PM2 - and very much lighter (extremely light, actually).

If I got an Atlantic, I´d certainly mod the blade from sheepsfoot to wharnie though.
I have one of the new Atlantics and love it. The two-piece frame construction without a backspacer is quite thin and makes for a very nimble knife. It's also pretty amazing how much steel they managed to stuff in to that frame. I'm also a fan of that Gen 1 Salt clip. It eliminates all those extra screw holes in the frame. The Atlantic has everything you need and nothing you don't. It's just a great example of 'less is more'.

The only thing I'd change would be to add just a wee bit of belly to that sheepsfoot blade, similar to the Caribbean edge profile.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:12 pm
jwbnyc wrote:

I have one of the new Atlantics and love it. The two-piece frame construction without a backspacer is quite thin and makes for a very nimble knife. It's also pretty amazing how much steel they managed to stuff in to that frame. I'm also a fan of that Gen 1 Salt clip. It eliminates all those extra screw holes in the frame. The Atlantic has everything you need and nothing you don't. It's just a great example of 'less is more'.

The only thing I'd change would be to add just a wee bit of belly to that sheepsfoot blade, similar to the Caribbean edge profile.

"A wee bit f belly to that sheepsfoot blade" is perhaps something you could do yourself?
If I´d do it, it would certainly not look like a professionals job, but grinding just a tad of belly towards the tip (and then applying a new actual edge of course) should be doable - ?