Sage 5-Rex121 -Forum knife- Sal-series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ric

Sage 5-Rex121 -Forum knife- Sal-series

Post by Ric »

Hello. This is not an April-joke!

Sage 5 Rex121 would be the perfect forum knife.

I always liked the idea of having a Spyderco prototype. Sal-series. The prototypes Sal carries and enjoys. It must not be perfect and can have flaws.

Put rainbow scales on it. I don't care. Form/functions over optic.

A bit related to the Zippo Z-series.
There you can buy prototypes which did not make into production. Some purple finish which did not work out - but a pride object for collectors.

Please think about it.
Any positive feedback is highly appreciated.
Ric
Ric

Re: Sage 5-Rex121 -Forum knife- Sal-series

Post by Ric »

Placeholder
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Not reeaaaaaallly a reasonable steel to machine en mass. I agree with the sage getting more steel options, especially the 2 and 5. But I don’t think the price of a rex121 blade from a production knife company would strike a chord with many many, if any.

I’d be quicker to support a sage 2 or 5 in MagnaCut, spy 27, or even an old favorite like s90v or xhp.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cool idea!! :)

I am not enough of a "steel nut" that it had to be REX121 in any case for me (though it would be very intriguing to try it out!)

But generally the Sage 5 LW as platform for a forum knife would be great.
As said several times already: Imho this is a model very many could agree on, and not a "controversial" one. Plus very "spyderco-ish": Their comp.lock, finger choil, leaf blade...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would probably prefer MagnaCut in Sage 5, just saying ... ;)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

MC will take a while (unless Crucible decided to cancel most of the S30-35-45 production batches because of redundancy :p ), so I'd prefer SPY27.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yep, I expect it will be a year or two before we will see MC popping up up in serial production knives.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 am
Yep, I expect it will be a year or two before we will see MC popping up up in serial production knives.

Never even heard of this steel... actually had to google it in order to make sure that this is not a first of April joke... :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

It might be too soon to start the hype train but, bump for Ric and his sixth sense. Or maybe even his seventh sense. :crystal-ball :eyes
•• Beau
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

EDGE RETENTION!!!! COMPRESSION LOCK!!!! I need this!!!
MRj “Weak things break!”
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I'll buy anything in REX-121. A sprint run would be nice, but I doubt we'll even get that. It's probably not even a particularly good choice for knives but being the highest wear resistance steel by far has a cool factor.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

A while ago Sal mentioned he was carrying a rex121 Sage 5.
I don’t think that was for anything aside from testing the steel, but we know it exists!

I want one to try the steel.
It would be cool and fun, and I might end up really liking it.

I’m curious enough about trying steels that I’ll probably end up with some, at some point.

I’ve got 15V, but I’m still curious about Maxamet, K390, Rex45, S110V, Rex121, M398, etc.

Only one of those hasn’t been available on a Spyderco…
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really think this steel is what everyone thinks they want until they actually have it. I think most would be far more happy with 15V, but I would definitely buy whatever is made in it just to play around.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I just want to be able to buy a piece of Rex-121 to make my own knife. AKS actually had a piece in stock but I underestimated how quick it would sell.
I like the idea of a Rex-121 Spyderco but I doubt it would be run as thin as it should.
cjk

Post by cjk »

In a recent interview, Eric mentioned that a rex 121 burnt orange Sage 5 lightweight was in the pipeline.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd buy a Spyderco Native Chief in REX-121.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:16 am
I really think this steel is what everyone thinks they want until they actually have it. I think most would be far more happy with 15V, but I would definitely buy whatever is made in it just to play around.
Agreed, I feel like it would be a good think piece but in reality it has a bit of a boost in edge retention over Maxamet, but the drawbacks are like 2-3x more. (Much much harder to sharpen) I’d be more interested in a forum knife in Z-Max.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 pm

I’d be quicker to support a sage 2 or 5 in MagnaCut, spy 27......
Me too, or Cru-Wear.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

electro-static wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:56 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:16 am
Agreed, I feel like it would be a good think piece but in reality it has a bit of a boost in edge retention over Maxamet, but the drawbacks are like 2-3x more. (Much much harder to sharpen) I’d be more interested in a forum knife in Z-Max.

Right and I think that's where BBB's 15v comes in, because at some point even if the next steel does have some level of measurable increase in edge retention, if it's vastly more difficult to grind and sharpen then that's the definition of diminishing returns. This is why we're not all screaming for ceramic blades. I think there's a practical ceiling limit for edge retention and once you reach that it's time to start trying to improve other qualities. I've already seen this with 15V vs Maxamet, and ironically enough the last knife I was working on before I got my 15V Shaman was a Maxamet Native 5, so I got a real world back to back comparison in sharpening and it was immediately noticeable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Seth30V

Post by Seth30V »

Rex121 is cool and all, but I’d be about 300% more interested in a Sage 2 “Salt” edition with MagnaCut. Classy, practical, simple, beautiful…what a combo that would be!