S35VN Tenacious LW: Some great features, but NO full SE ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

S35VN Tenacious LW: Some great features, but NO full SE ?!

Post by Wartstein »

Just looked at the Tenacious LW in S35VN, since it is momentarily available in Europe.

I know, some here don´t like "made in China", but that put aside: For me actually a great option:

- I really like linerlocks, in some aspects even over my favorite locktype (backlock) and certainly over the comp.lock
- I also like FRN, and the handle seems to have at least some chamfering (which is good!)
- This knife offers an almost-Endura-edge length and about Endura blade stock (so thinner than the for me pretty fat PM2 blade) in a very compact package
- and actually HAS the "edge all the way to the handle" like for example the Caribbean with an (in my use!) better lock
- S35VN is a steel I liked a lot in my Native 5 LW (and could not tell any difference to S30V tbh)
- I even really like the blue handle color

BUT: NO full SE!! :o (just PE and CE)

That´s really unfortunate, even more so since the 8CR Tenacious does come in full SE - wonder why they took CE over SE in the S35VN Tenacious:
Nothing against comboedges, I think they are better than many people say, but full SE for me still is a lot better (and also more convenient ton sharpen, since in full SE both the SE and the short PE part towards the tip are in chisel grind. In CE it is chisel for the SE part, but V-edge for the PE part...)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: S35VN Tenacious LW: Some great features, but NO full SE ?!

Post by Wartstein »

Dear Sal,

should you happen to read this and like to reply:

- Any chance for a full SE Tenacious LW in S35VN in the future?
- And is there a reason for CE, but not SE in this particular model?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I agree, that was my first thought. So many good things yet not fully se?
/ David
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I am waiting for any edge to come available, Almost embarrassed to admit I don’t have a Tenacious! Love the S35VN so will snag one of these asap!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still over here watching for a full SE Resilience.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Ive really come to appreciate my tenacious SE, Steiny.
So many uses and is actually a pretty handy steak knife.
The tenacious is a solid build, good platform.
S35V model makes sense for the tenacious fans.
Definitely needs a SE model in 35.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I feel like outside of dedicated spydermaniacs such as ourselves, nobody really uses or wants full serrations in a folding knife. Take the Shaman for example, the knife community at large seems to be going bonkers for this model in most configurations, but the SE versions have been widely available throughout the entire recent feeding frenzy.

I’m not saying they’re right, but the average user is probably intimidated by the look, feel, and maintenance of an SE knife. Whether the community at large will ever embrace the cutting power that they offer remains to be seen.

Edit: Question- how many other knife makers even offer a full SE folding model? I can’t think of one off the top of my head...
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am
I feel like outside of dedicated spydermaniacs such as ourselves, nobody really uses or wants full serrations....

Not saying you're wrong, but:

1.) The Tenacious "traditionally" always came in SE, both the G10 and 8CR LW version, just not the S35VN LW

2.) Why does the S35VN Tenacious then come in comboedge, but not in fully serrated?
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:55 am
MFlovejp wrote:
I feel like outside of dedicated spydermaniacs such as ourselves, nobody really uses or wants full serrations....

Not saying you're wrong, but:

1.) The Tenacious "traditionally" always came in SE, both the G10 and 8CR LW version, just not the S35VN LW

2.) Why does the S35VN Tenacious then come in comboedge, but not in fully serrated?

Yes of course not, I love the discussions we get in to here :)

For number 1) that’s a good point that they release the 8CR version in SE- maybe they’re testing the waters as far as interest before they move to that option?

For number 2) pretty much the same answer. PE and combo edges are more popular to the general knife community, and therefore a safer bet until you’re sure a model will sell. Is this is the first sort of “premium” Tenacious they’ve released? If so then there’s a big risk taken on their part, and it would be better to know the public liked the model before full commitment.

Anecdotally, I get the sense that there a lot of not really “knife people” here in the US that still believe that combo edge is the best of both worlds and the coolest-looking option. Among real aficionados this belief has largely disappeared but there is still definitely a market for combo over SE.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

MFlovejp wrote:

Edit: Question- how many other knife makers even offer a full SE folding model? I can’t think of one off the top of my head...
The full serrated Microtech Stitch is great!
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd