going on vacation soon, so I need a new knife :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

going on vacation soon, so I need a new knife :)

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I've been getting reeeeally beat up at work and am taking some much needed time off out away from civilization in a month or so. At work I use my Takamura kitchen knives and my caribbean constantly, they're both spectacular but it all gets old after so much use.

Basically I just want something (or maybe some things :D) to play around with while I'm out, something somewhat durable and fun. Ideally that's the smallfly 2 but I kinda don't think that will be released soon enough. So I'm looking for suggestions! I am a huge steel nerd but I'm less concerned about it with this one than I usually am, although I seldom use carbon steels so that might be fun. Fixed or folding, it's whatever, suggest away! What's your favorite "just for fun" knife?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Re: going on vacation soon, so I need a new knife :)

Post by Wartstein »

The answer is of course:

SPYDERTHROWERS!! :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This is the best knife I've bought in quite a while. Comes ready for scout carry, with a nice Kydex sheath, just needs a clip and you're good to go. Easily concealed, great steel, comfortable contoured micarta scales...I can't recommend it enough!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Darn Dao. Beautiful and functional. I can't seem to find my pictures of it right now.
So here's a video from spyderco.

https://youtu.be/77XMDpphEW8
carrot

Post by carrot »

Police 4 K390. K390 is my favorite steel and the Police 4 is the "best" model that uses it. It's like a Military, but easier to slip into a front pocket.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

For a folder, I’d get the Rex 45 Native Chief sprint, while they’re still available. For a fun fixed blade, I'd go with a Province or Sustain, whichever appeals to you more.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Of the recommendations so far I also like the Darn Dao and Rex 45 Native Chief. I will soon have both and they are excellent. Just waiting on the delivery of the Rex 45 Native Chief.

The Darn Dao is a fun knife, and it can be your only camp knife. It's large but it can manage small tasks.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Buy whatever is most unlike what you have or one you've been curious about and just need the excuse. That's how I ended up loving serrations, I bought a SE Dragonfly Salt and a SE Tasman and took them on vacation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

What kind of “away from civilization” are you planning?

Of what’s been mentioned I can whole heartedly recommend the Darn Dao, REX45 Chief and K390 Police (I prefer the G10 if you can find it.) I just scored a Bradley Bowie (last I looked they are still available) and the design is fantastic but the edge needs a bit of love if it’s going to be used for anything that needs to be “sliced.” Finally, if all else fails you can’t go wrong with Evil D’s approach.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Nothing says vacation, like an Atlantic Salt SE.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Dragonfly Salt man...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I would have said Pac Salt but you’ve already got the Caribbean... what’s your budget, where are you going, whatcha doin?

How about a hawkbill se Ladybug salt?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll second the Police 4 K390. And that Bradford Wharnie. I have that same model and it's fantastic.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 pm
And that Bradford Wharnie. I have that same model and it's fantastic.
I truly thank you for all your photos and replies in that fixed blade thread. This knife has really changed my outlook on small fixed blades vs folders the past couple weeks. Never expected to like it THIS much. I've got a few folders on the chopping block now, that I know I'll never grab over this knife :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:19 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 pm
And that Bradford Wharnie. I have that same model and it's fantastic.
I truly thank you for all your photos and replies in that fixed blade thread. This knife has really changed my outlook on small fixed blades vs folders the past couple weeks. Never expected to like it THIS much. I've got a few folders on the chopping block now, that I know I'll never grab over this knife :cool:
Sounds like the Bradford opened your eyes to fixed blade EDC like the Street Beat did for me.

OP, for being away from civilization for a while, that makes me lean towards fixed blades. Street Beat and Z-cuts are my most frequently used from Spyderco. The Aqua Salt is another nice one. Its a great do it all design, not just marine uses. Of course the Waterway is worth a mention too - great all around design like the Aqua Salt with a better blade grind.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cat. If you lose it on vacation you are not out a ton of money, and it is a good design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:28 pm
The answer is of course:

Actually, "Spyderthrowers" was not (only) meant as a joke:

If I take your words literally (quoting you: "Basically I just want something (or maybe some things :D) to play around with while I'm out, something somewhat durable and fun. Ideally that's the smallfly ...." - the Spyderthrowers are about what you want indeed... of course you´d have to bring a knife (knives...) that actually can do cutting tasks too... ;)

Knife throwing, especially "no" spin, is really a fun and enjoyable activity and skill when being outdoors... and just hanging around in a camp, or going for a hike, casually looking for targets and so on... try it! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
The answer is of course:

tbh this is the most tempting one... Maybe 2 sets of medium throwers and a serrated wharny salt 2 just for fun.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:01 pm
Wartstein wrote:
The answer is of course:

tbh this is the most tempting one... Maybe 2 sets of medium throwers and a serrated wharny salt 2 just for fun.

Perfect choices! (Honestly!)

Though I would take the large Throwers. It is actually easier to throw larger knives. Their higher weight and mass makes for a bit like "they´d throw themselves (for illustration and VERY exaggerated: Think of throwing a javelin or a needle to make them stick in a target - this will be a lot easier with the javelin... ;) )
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you want something fun to play with, check out the bbbarfly also. lots of fun and it's a bottle opener, so you can take it a lot more places than the smallfly.

i don't see a manix listed in you collection. have you tried one out. it's fidgety and wonderful.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C