Salt 2 LC200N... Is this Normal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FrannaM

Salt 2 LC200N... Is this Normal

Post by FrannaM »

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Spyderco forums, but been a massive Spydie van for years. I bought a new long awaited Salt 2 LC200N PE. I waited long for this model, because to me its the ultimate EDC. Rust proof, light weight and PE slicey. The knife is perfect except for a (what seems to be) small manufacturing flaw close to the pivot. Will this cause problems long term in terms of becoming a weak spot. I know this is not a hard use folder, but still a bit concerned.

swigert

Re: Salt 2 LC200N... Is this Normal

Post by swigert »

I’m not exactly sure what you’re referring to as the possible weak spot....can you be more specific?
FrannaM

Post by FrannaM »

swigert wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:23 am
I’m not exactly sure what you’re referring to
I'm referring to the line cut into the tang between the lock cutout and pivot:

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I bought a Salt 2 with a Wharncliffe blade recently. I think you're referring to the tallest "step" where the lock bar engages the tang of the blade when opened. Mine has that same small step, so it looks like they're machined that way intentionally. I just looked at a couple of my Delica 4's and they're machined the same way.

I think as the lock bar snaps into place upon opening both parts will eventually show "peening," but I imagine the blade is much harder than the lock bar, so it may show a shiny spot, but it's not going to wear very much.
FrannaM

Post by FrannaM »

Hi, I'm referring to the line cut-out underneath the lockbar cut-out. It looks like the laser malfunctioned and started cutting in the wrong place.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I got my Salt2 Wharncliffe SpyderEdge a short while ago. A bit stiff in operation but a fabulous user. I haven’t taken it apart since the blade is well-centered. The usability is way up there if you want a near rust-proof folder for “salty” conditions. I also use it for opening boxes since it has a quarter inch straight edge at the tip and to cut through thick fabric like seat belts. I prefer the FFG on Salt2 LC200N but if you don’t need that go with the regular Salt2 with a hollow grind H-1 for $20 less.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
James Y

Post by James Y »

I believe OP is asking about that little line/slit between the lock cutout and the pivot hole.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

James Y wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 am
I believe OP is asking about that little line/slit between the lock cutout and the pivot hole.

Jim

It could be a manufacturing marker. I can’t see how it could affect function short or long term.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

There were two photos in the OPs post when I saw it. The first photo showed light passing right through the slit near the pivot hole, which makes me doubt that it is a sort of manufacturing mark.

I saved a copy of the photo.

Edited to add: Whoops, it turns out the first photo that I saw was on the OPs post on Blade Forums. My bad.
Attachments
salt2 lc200n weird blade mark frannam photo resized.jpg
Last edited by mikey177 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Double post
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

That is curious, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Doesn't seem like a stress riser for vertical or lateral use.

Worst case scenario, the blade doesn't really seem like it would interact with that void during hard use breakage. This is from the BladeHQ lock strength test, the blade on the Delica broke at the pivot before the lock failed on two different examples. I'd expect the Salt 2 to be similar.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

FrannaM wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 am
Hi Everyone,
Welcome to the forum. I would call Spyderco about this issue. I'm no expert, but that does not look normal to me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

If it isn't intentional, that line is what would happen if the the wire E.D.M. that cuts the lock notch starts in the wrong spot, or if the blade was somehow misaligned in the E.D.M..
I would have no concerns about it being a weak spot whatsoever, but it is a bit of a "pocket" that can fill with dirt and grime or whatever and potentially cause undue wear on the washers I suppose.
I could be wrong, but it appears unintentional. Spyderco is good about taking care of that sort of thing, but now that you have disassembled the knife you might want to call and talk with them about what to do next.

If it were me, I'd put a drop of lube in that little slot, put the knife back together and use it. I'd bet that little slot has no effect whatsoever for so many years that it's effectively irrelevant.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

You should put a little piece of wool soaked in nanolube in the slot, perpetual lubrication :D
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

After loosening the pivot I soaked the pivot area with some heavy oil more for smoother opening but if that notch is there it should get some too. I’m more worried about sand if it were so in my area. Plenty of salt, sand and sweat! Oh, well! A good test of how well the TiCN hardware holds up. Wish it were DLC.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:25 am
There were two photos in the OPs post when I saw it. The first photo showed light passing right through the slit near the pivot hole, which makes me doubt that it is a sort of manufacturing mark.

I saved a copy of the photo.

Edited to add: Whoops, it turns out the first photo that I saw was on the OPs post on Blade Forums. My bad.
Oop! I hadn't seen the photo from Blade Forums. I thought the photo here on the Spyderco Forum looked like the tang had been underlined using a photo editor. The photo on BF does look like a slot cut in the tang. Ignore my original post. :o
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It wont affect anything.

Do other salt 2s have that little slit?

I have seen other spyderco models with a hole near the pivot.

If other salt 2s have it, then I sometimes wonder if spyderco does this kind of stuff as an anti counterfeiting measure.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
FrannaM

Post by FrannaM »

Thanks guys. Was also not too concerned but wanted some input. Gonna use the crap out of that green monster.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi FrannaM,

Welcome to our forum. I haven't received mine yet. It's on the way to me. My guess is that it's a birthdate mark, but I'll check.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here's mine:Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb