Spyderco ATR 2, a new best friend?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Snacktime

Spyderco ATR 2, a new best friend?

Post by Snacktime »

Been on a buying spree since losing my Stretch 2 in December. I don't tend to replace things with an exact copy as I like change. Been swapping out knives almost every other day for months. My usual routine was my Toku-v stretch all week and pull something nice out for the weekend. Lately it's been a rotation of knives, brands and something missing.

Just picked up an ATR 2, I really wanted a serrated ATR but this one with G10 was posted for sale and so the story goes... It's not a stretch but it is!

My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco ATR 2, a new best friend?

Post by Wartstein »

Snacktime wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Just picked up an ATR 2, I really wanted a serrated ATR but this one with G10 was posted for sale and so the story goes... It's not a stretch but it is!

Not sure how your thread got overlooked and no reply so far...

The pic alone is great, I love how used and "patina-ed" especially the Chief already looks (amazing, since obviously you can´t own this particular model for too long). [Edit: I assume you forced a patina, right?]

Also, this is a great collection of knives that would fall into "general EDC size" for me (the Chief being "regular", the rest tends a bit towards "small")

And the ATR is just SO cool!! :)
Looks like a heavy duty, post apocalyptic Stretch...

Anyway, thanks for sharing!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

ATR2 was only PE.
Very cool knife, I guess loyalty killed this one, S30V made in Japan in that price range didn't attract lots of interest.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:46 am
The pic alone is great, I love how used and "patina-ed" especially the Chief already looks (amazing, since obviously you can´t own this particular model for too long). [Edit: I assume you forced a patina, right?]
Chief spent 2 weeks being a paring knife in the kitchen, didn't force any patina on it just didn't clean the knife till I did dishes after the meal. Lots of cutting apples, cheese and making sandwiches.

So I reached into my pocket on Easter and my ATR was missing, started back tracking. Searched the whole drivers seat area on the truck as I last used the knife in the truck to open a bag of sunflower seeds hours earlier. Kept searching and searching all over my sister in laws drove down the driveway to the gate area. Then I remembered I jumped in the passenger seat at the gate while the wife moved the truck past the animals. **** passenger seat belt... I never had this happen before.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Snacktime wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Chief spent 2 weeks being a paring knife in the kitchen, didn't force any patina on it just didn't clean the knife till I did dishes after the meal. Lots of cutting apples, cheese and making sandwiches.

So I reached into my pocket on Easter and my ATR was missing, started back tracking. Searched the whole drivers seat area on the truck as I last used the knife in the truck to open a bag of sunflower seeds hours earlier. Kept searching and searching all over my sister in laws drove down the driveway to the gate area. Then I remembered I jumped in the passenger seat at the gate while the wife moved the truck past the animals. **** passenger seat belt... I never had this happen before.
Cool!! And weird too... my Manix 2 LW in REX has developed just a very suble, actually even hard to see patina in month of use, including a lot of food prep and sometimes not cleaning the knife afterwards for hours...

/ Man, I am so glad for you you found your ATR again! :)
And yes, missing knives sometimes end up at the weirdest places... don´t ask me how I know... :rolleyes: :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm
Cool!! And weird too... my Manix 2 LW in REX has developed just a very suble, actually even hard to see patina in month of use, including a lot of food prep and sometimes not cleaning the knife afterwards for hours...
My cutlery shoppe paramilitary 3 in rex 45 has zero rust or patina. For how much use and pocket time it has I am really surprised. I gave my dad a rex lil native, he has just a little patina(he thought it was stainless) and he cleans his knife once a week. My tree-rex shaman rusted so quick that I left it overnight in vinegar and took a scotch brite pad to it to clean it up. I have tried mustard/lemons/use to get a nice patina on the shaman and yet its mehh... Its like winning the lottery on my Chief! I would love to say I can force patina that finish!
rashman

Post by rashman »

Snacktime wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:

LOL - this has happened to me several times! I have a couple of knives that like to do that regularly in my truck
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie