Official Plea for a not so "Lil" Temperance 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Official Plea for a not so "Lil" Temperance 3

Post by Evil D »

The Lil Temp 3 is so close to being my absolute favorite design. It has one of the best edge-to-handle designs ever and the grip shape is fantastic. I would love to see a 3.5-4 inch blade version.

And yes, I'm aware that the Caribbean is very similar to this exact idea, but I think sometimes the Salt models suffer from people overlooking them because "I don't live by the ocean so I really don't need a Salt" and I'm quite certain that the Caribbean's bumblebee scales keep some people away.

The only downside I see is country of origin and the cost of G10 making an already expensive knife potentially more expensive. I also think people are constantly looking at size vs cost, whether or not that's a fair comparison to make and I think if this knife were larger it would have sold better at the same price.

I really think the Temp could be a premier Spyderco design and would appeal to a broad market if it were larger. It could even be offered in different blade shapes. It already has a popular lock design. I really think if this were a Golden made knife, 3.5-4 inches, with a popular steel option, it would sell like crazy. People are taking notice to designs like the Rock Jumper and seeing the benefits of a more neutral groove free no choil edge-to-the-handle grip design and this could be the best of all of them.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Re: Official Plea for a not so "Lil" Temperance 3

Post by ladybug93 »

when i discovered the lil temp 3, i realized it was very close to a comp lock manix with a more neutral handle and without a choil. i wish i had picked one up when they were on clearance for $99. anyway, i ended up with the caribbean instead and agree that it's very similar to what i was hoping for in the temperance. it's a shame the lil temp can't come in at a more reasonable price, especially considering its materials. i think it would be much more popular if the cost was lower. a larger size would be likely popular too, but i think the cost vs. materials was the biggest drawback with the model.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its the choil-less shaman before the official choil-less shaman.

I wish the thumb ramp on it were either bigger or gone or done like the manix. My thumb jams into it and its not as comfortable for me as some of spydercos other thumb ramps.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

I love my Lil Temperance 3. It's a beast for how little it actually is and so maneuverable. I would be all in for more designs. What I really want though is another Temperance fixed blade with Micarta. If I could only get my hands on a Temperance 2! My current grail.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

This knife was on my to buy list for some time. I like the 3” blade for legal reasons. Regret not buying it when it was available.
Last edited by dan31 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:55 am
This knife was on my to buy list for some time. I like the 3” blare for legal reasons. Regret not buying it when it was available.
A quick Google search shows they are still available at many places.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I found a few in stock. Wish I would not have blown my budget for the year. Who knows maybe this will be around when I get the opportunity to grab one.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David.

Interesting. I have a 3.5" prototype that we made years ago. I held back on it because I felt the price was an issue with the model in G-10. We are currently tooling to make an FRN version of the "3". Then I'll get a better idea of reception as the cost will be less. If reception is good, then we can consider a larger version.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Really wishing I had the chance to check one of these out.

On first glance, it looks like an almost comical knife design - what is that short little stubby blade? And why on earth is the handle to stall?

It does look rather thing, which I like. It certainly seems like it's begging for a longer blade. I like that it roughly follows the Stretch palm swell, but looks to be a bit less contoured.

I'm not sure what would lead to this being an expensive knife - perhaps making a comp lock with S30V in Japan? Hopefully the LW/FRN model will bring the price down a bit. Looks like a nice Manix alternative.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Hmmmm.... Interesting read. In all honesty when I saw this model all I could think of was what happened to the blade? It looked silly to me, but I have heard nothing but good things from anyone who's actually owned one. They aren't too terribly difficult to find even now, perhaps I need to try one out after all. I must say the idea of a "comp-lock manix-like" Spydie has piqued my interest enough to snag one...
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Could the ‘Leafjumper’ fill this gap? I realise the blade is thinner but the ergo’s are similar.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
sal

Post by sal »

Actually, the Lil' Temp was originally designed as an MBC folder that was stout and still kept within the 3.0" blade length limit. The originals (1 & 2) were 3 grip. Then I added the 4th grip (P'Kal) on the 3. Though despite the original thoughts, it's a very effective workhorse of a folder.

If the FRN version has a decent reaction, I could add a 3.5".

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:37 am
Actually, the Lil' Temp was originally designed as an MBC folder that was stout and still kept within the 3.0" blade length limit. The originals (1 & 2) were 3 grip. Then I added the 4th grip (P'Kal) on the 3. Though despite the original thoughts, it's a very effective workhorse of a folder.

If the FRN version has a decent reaction, I could add a 3.5".

sal

Flat FRN or 3D? You know my all time favorite handle ever is the D'Allara 2.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:14 am
Could the ‘Leafjumper’ fill this gap? I realise the blade is thinner but the ergo’s are similar.

Yeah more or less, aside from lock differences. I figure if I stoke the flames in multiple places I'm more likely to get what I want :D
~David
TomH

Post by TomH »

Any chance of having a P'kal type removable Emerson opener on the upcoming FRN version?