Paramilitary 2 Sheepsfoot Blade!!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want PM2 Sheepsfoot (longer blade)?

I love it and I want it now!
35%
Interested but I need to see a real thing first
36%
I'll keep my standard PM2
30%

Total votes: 101

vlaendr

Paramilitary 2 Sheepsfoot Blade!!!!!

Post by vlaendr »

Dear Spyderco lovers,

for several years we have been looking for a knife that would correspond to our idea of the "holy grail".

We have a clear idea:

- Used as EDC, outdoor, rescue, police, military knife
- Quality materials and at the same time affordability
- Cutting qualities and durability
- One-handed opening/closing
- Good locking mechanism
- Balanced ratio of handle vs blade length
- Fun factor

We have tested dozens and dozens of knives from various companies over the last 20 years. However, we repeatedly returned to the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. :spyder:

We asked ourselves how this knife can be improved to meet our idea perfectly. Hard task you know.

But we figured it out. What about?

- a longer blade while retaining the original handle
- a more robust tip

In cooperation with two other colleagues, we proposed a modification of the blade. We found out that the handle of the regular PM2 is spacious enough to accommodate blade with sheepsfoot profile and at the same time longer for about 6-7 mm / 0.27 inch.

The response to that change at the Knife Forum in the Czech Republic was very positive.

So we sent an email to the guys in Spyderco company and they informed us that the minimum order of a sprint run/exclusive knife is 800+ pieces, which is not feasible for us. We're just ordinary guys who just happen to use and like knives.

We therefore decided to ask for your opinions, cooperation, and support. We aim to get as many supporters of the above mentioned blade modification as possible.

We might be naive but we believe in Spyderco's natural effort to listen to the knife community and to make knives that suite needs and desires of their fans.

We believe that many of you would enjoy Paramilitary 2 with longer blade and stronger tip without sacrificing that stellar ergonomy of the PM2 we all love. We would. We need it in our hands. :D

Sal... Eric... Do you like it as much as we do? :)

There's a regular PM2, and there are exclusives for several big knife shops. You can buy tanto, wharncliffe and even sabregrind waved PM2. But we're pretty confident that sheepsfoot blade PM2 would be allround winner among these specials for real users.

Because we're not able to finance 800+ pieces we thought we could find someone who would take charge of the project in cooperation with Spyderco.

So, if you would like to hold PM2 with sheepsfoot and longer blade in your hands, give us your feedback here... We're going to send our idea AND link to this threat to major US knife eshops.

Spread this idea to fellow Spyderco fans and knifenuts and... Who knows? Maybe if your support is big enough...

We want this knife so bad. We can't bring it to you. But we hope someone can. That's why we're going with this idea to the public.

Ok, time for the pics... In the first picture you can see the ratio between the original knife and the proposed new design. The other pictures show more details. There is no need to readjust the handle as everything fits perfectly also in closed position as was mentioned before.

If you like the idea, please support :)

(Original idea Mikup, graphic work DrU2)
PM4_porovnani.jpg
PM4 render_06.jpg
PM4 render_09.jpg
PM4 render_10.jpg
PM4_05.jpg
PM4_10_stiny.jpg
TazKristi

Re: Paramilitary 2 Sheepsfoot Blade!!!!!

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, vlaendr:
Welcome to our forum. It will be very interesting to see the responses to your poll! We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vlaendr wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:49 pm
We asked ourselves how this knife can be improved to meet our idea perfectly. Hard task you know.

But we figured it out. What about?

- a longer blade while retaining the original handle
- a more robust tip
Welcome to the forum! :)

Great idea, and your two points above actually improve features that are not my personal favorites in the PM2 design anyway:

- A longer blade would certainly make it more versatile, and why not make a longer bladed version since the handle offers space for that?
- I have never been a fan of the combo thick blade stock, but still rather fragile tip. 3.7 mm is not necessary on any folder imho, but IF a folder has such a rather thick blade: Make it "hard use" all the way and give it a stronger tip too!

Still, and to be honest: I would probably not buy your sheepsfoot PM2: The Stretch 1 (discontinued) gives me better ergos, a longer cutting edge (in a smaller package), thinner, but still strong blade stock, a presumably stronger tip, and a - for me - better lock (especially for harder outdoor use the backlock is a lot better suited imho, and also safer in use)
So does the Endura

One thing I´d like to ask: The sheepsfoot Caribbean is not for you?! (You want a choil for example?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

My hands are too big for the PM2 but the design you put forth would get my pick over the standard one. What gets people like me excited is the steel as well. LC200N and possibly “carribianized” would excite as well.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would probably just get a Caribbean.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hmm... looks very much like a Pacific Salt blade - very "Spyderco." Kudos for the design, it's not wild, and I think it would sell well.

Personally, I like the clip point of the current Military, PM2, and Para 3, and the the old Eduras & Delicas better.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I would definitely buy one. Since it's an exclusive a premium steel would be great too...is it too early for a Sheepsfoot PM2 in Magnacut???
So it goes.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 pm
I would probably just get a Caribbean.
My first thought was that, but the Caribbean is a bigger knife.
Maybe a lil Caribbean would do the trick?
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Can I ask what's wrong with the Stretch 2 (the original, not straight spine)? Similar handle and edge geometry. Similarly robust tip. Backlock is better than comp lock in my opinion, especially for the "hard use" type folder you are looking for.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Interesting design! I actually really like the look of it. I would definitely be interested in one with the right scale color and steel choice.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:27 pm
Can I ask what's wrong with the Stretch 2 (the original, not straight spine)? Similar handle and edge geometry. Similarly robust tip. Backlock is better than comp lock in my opinion, especially for the "hard use" type folder you are looking for.
I think the Endela would be a closer comparison for the blade.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Personally not a fan of sheepsfoot blades. Though I'm very new to spydies the look of the PM2 should not be changed imo. It's kind of an iconic knife. A sheepsfoot blade if introduced should be on a completely new knife. That's just my .02
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 pm
Personally not a fan of sheepsfoot blades. Though I'm very new to spydies the look of the PM2 should not be changed imo. It's kind of an iconic knife. A sheepsfoot blade if introduced should be on a completely new knife. That's just my .02

Don´t know if you are aware of it: But the PM2 blade has been changed already quite a bit lately: Wharnie, Tanto, Emerson wave...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:27 pm

The Stretch 2 has imho an even BETTER (more comfortable) handle (chamfering of the FRN, closed back..) and actually a different edge geometry (more straight section in the edge).

But it does not have the longer blade the OP wants... though also the Stretch 2 handle would offer space for more blade, so perhaps just making the Stretch 2 blade longer would be an idea (instead of changing the blade shape of the PM2?)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks like a comp lock Endela to me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:30 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Don´t know if you are aware of it: But the PM2 blade has been changed already quite a bit lately: Wharnie, Tanto, Emerson wave...
No I wasn't aware of that lol. See still much to learn :D
Stay sharp!
Jared

Post by Jared »

It looks cool, kinda like an Endela and a PM2 had a baby or something. I don’t know if I’d buy one or not. It’d depend on scales and steel and the like. Personally, I’m a big big fan of the PM2 as is, with my one single nit to pick being I’m always nervous about the tip.

I like that the proposed design seems to add a bit of meat to the tip. I like that the blade still has a Spyderco shape to it. Maybe a black DLC coating and a cool steel and I’d probably buy.
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Nice blade shape, now it definitely needs FRN scales!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vlaendr, Leksy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sheepsfoot is one of my favorite blade shapes, and I'm down for the more durable tip.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!