Opinion of the Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Yo Wolfie! In another thread you asked about my sons' Q-knives for daily carry.They did for a bit,but as Spyderco d/ced that line the put'em up & now carry Crickets.Respects.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hmm. The first Spyderco I ever saw was an Endura many years ago and that's what got me started. But I'll tell you, it is the Native that has really captured my attention lately. It is just big enough for a really useful pocket knife while being small enough to assuage suspision. I have a FRN Serrated Native that I carry with me now, even though I also have an Endura.
I think the Native is a real winner. Though, a larger version of it would be nice too, about a half an inch longer with the same style blade. Call it a Native "Chief" or something. It couldn't replace the Native, but it would be a nice knife for big jobs.
G-10 is defenitely the way to go on the handle of any native. I don't mind paying a bit more. I'd like to see another sprint run of G-10 natives, this time without the shell inlay. Function is form after all.

Two notes on the design. One, I have a Harpy too that is currently on its way to the shop for the lock failure problem that is mentioned about the Native above. I haven't had any problems out of my Native in this respect. Of course, the Native is brand new and the Harpy is a few years old.
Two, when I purchased the Native I also bought one of the new Enduras (they are both ambidextrious and I'm left handed so you can figure out why). I was looking them both over right out of the box and noticed something odd. The Endura with its ATS-55 blade was sharper than the 440V bladed Native. That surprised me, because the Forum raves constantly about the 440V so I expected it to hold a better edge. The difference was slight, but it was defenitely there. It made me wonder.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

The Native, looks good but does not fit my hand. So i made it into a test knife and gave it a convex edge. Now it is realy sharp but I still don't like the handle. Tip: try the handle before you buy.