Which one will dominate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Which one will dominate?

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:43 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:46 am
We’re cheering vaporware until Larrin’s whatyoumaycallit actually materializes, are we not?
No. There are several makers who have already made and tested knives using the new steel. It was all reported by Larrin a day or so ago. The steel exists and early tests are very positive. Not yet widely distributed does not equal vaporware.
True, and thanks, JR, for bringing me up to speed.

ETA: Having just read Larrin’s article of yesterday, I’m now primed for MagnaCut. Indeed, a Magna-Carta Millie or Chief would be sweet, but probably won’t happen owing to the need for liners. Maybe a Shaman?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

It's called MagnaCut.
archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:34 am
Okay, we have SPY27, we have S45VN, and soon (gosh I hope soon!) we'll have Larrinite. I'm pretty sure all of them will see ALOT of representation in future Spydies.

What do you think, which steel will we see the most, and longest? And why? Everybody is excited about Larrinite, but don't forget how well represented S30V/S35VN are in the market, so I think S45VN has a good shot. And SPY27 has a home field advantage - why develop your own home steel and then not use it widely? The Dark Horse - Larrinite?

Who wins? ;)
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
archangel

Post by archangel »

I know, but thanks. I like to call it Larrinite.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 pm
I'd appreciate if ya didn't. It's the internet, no one can stop you. Do as you wish.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 pm
archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 pm
I'd appreciate if ya didn't. It's the internet, no one can stop you. Do as you wish.
I agree, seems odd to purposely call something its not :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MagnaCut sounds way better
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Larrinite is just an appeciative nod to the steel's designer, Larrin Thomas. No need for any agitation over it. For future searches, MagnaCut should always accompany any pet names. IMO, at least.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

After months of having to call it “new steel” there is enough confusion already so I would prefer if we called the steel by its name. I’m happy everyone is excited about it.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I already made up my mind to chase down the rex86 mule so the MagnaCut mule will be a pass for me. I do predict either a spyderco folder or a custom knife is where Dr Larrins steel will join me for shenanigans. I had some microchip issues with s45vn so I predict from the list of steels that another s45vn knife is the most likely candidate I would purchase first.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I'm in for some Magnacut!! Looks awesome to me!! A new steel how often does that happen? Not very. So yeah it's definitely cool!!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I imagine the proprietari-ness of SPY27 means we'll see quite a bit of it.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Unless we’re talking Salt knives, I can’t think of a reason why anybody would want non-Magnacut steel anymore. Unless you really, REALLY need one of the three steel attributes to be maxed out, there’s no good reason not to pick the steel that’s got no weaknesses.
Last edited by dj moonbat on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larrin wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:07 pm
After months of having to call it “new steel” there is enough confusion already so I would prefer if we called the steel by its name. I’m happy everyone is excited about it.
Received and understood.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 am
Charts and theories are one thing. Tests are another. If both worlds say this is good stuff - what can go wrong?

From what I've seen from the one knife maker I know who's had a chance to play with it (Big Chris) it seems to live up to the hype. He's a guy who does competition cutting and makes knives for a living, he makes knives from a variety of steels so for him to praise this steel says a lot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 am
i kind of expected we'd see spy27 replace s30v as the standard steel for golden models.
That is also my expectation - I think we will see it as the mainstream 'good' steel in Spyderco knives. They did not went through all the trouble having a steel developed for them to just use it in a few selected models.

MagnaCut will need a while to show up in a first limited run (outside the Mule model) and I think it may be years before it makes it into serial production (should that ever happen - really hard to guess as it most likely does not only depend on Spyderco)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

archangel wrote:
Okay, we have SPY27, we have S45VN, and soon (gosh I hope soon!) we'll have Larrinite. I'm pretty sure all of them will see ALOT of representation in future Spydies.

What do you think, which steel will we see the most, and longest? And why? Everybody is excited about Larrinite, but don't forget how well represented S30V/S35VN are in the market, so I think S45VN has a good shot. And SPY27 has a home field advantage - why develop your own home steel and then not use it widely? The Dark Horse - Larrinite?

Who wins? ;)
There is a consistent retreat away from carbide with each of these steels by lowering carbon and vanadium content, which contradicts the industry's recent and heavy emphasis on ever increasing vanadium carbide.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:03 pm
archangel wrote:

Who wins? ;)
There is a consistent retreat away from carbide with each of these steels by lowering carbon and vanadium content, which contradicts the industry's recent and heavy emphasis on ever increasing vanadium carbide.
On a whole, the high carbide steels never sold at the volume of lower carbide steels.

Spyderco was always unique in using steels that were impossible for majority of companies to work with like Maxamet for instance. So it gives the impression that everyone does it when in fact a lot of these super steels will never, ever touch the sheer volume of low alloy stainless used by Mora, Victornox and J.A Henckels.

I think folks underestimate the increased cost to make blades in high wear steels, it's not just the raw cost per lbs for the steel but one hidden factor is mountains of abrasives needed to grind these steels is exponential. It's also something that is not as universally enjoyed by casual knife folks at different experience and expectation levels of what a knife realistically can or should do so there is even increased cost in just answering more questions for customer service.

There is a notation that a knife should be invincible and cut forever but it's an inverse relationship.

So I personally feel there is a sweet spot for balanced steels with less trade offs in the knife industry and for majority of casual knife folks.

More extreme steels or features are more enjoyable but alienate larger production and causal users in my opinion.

Spyderco really spoils us, so it should be appreciated that you can buy a folder in Maxamet.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well it would seem like SPY27 would be an excellent base steel for Spyderco. I would never take s30v, s35vn, or s45vn over CPM-Cruwear. So MagnaCut should obsolete all 3 of them immediately. If it proves to be as rust resistant as H1 and LC200N while behaving like CPM-Cruwear, well that is just the icing on the cake. MagnaCut would satisfy every need until we get to the fork in the road to go for extreme toughness or extreme wear resistance.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I know so really want to try it out!

As we said at the bike shop, everyone wants their parts to be light, strong, and cheap. Pick 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:35 pm
If it proves to be as rust resistant as H1 and LC200N..

Is it claimed to be anywhere near those two? I missed that part.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:43 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:35 pm
If it proves to be as rust resistant as H1 and LC200N..

Is it claimed to be anywhere near those two? I missed that part.
Not an exhaustive test, but Larrin’s article showed a series of coupons with a saltwater spray test and it didn’t have an rust spots, where other stainless steels did. It would be worth finding the limit I think, but I’d be surprised if it was rust proof. Delighted, but surprised.