Best steels to avoid fingerprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TSINGA

Best steels to avoid fingerprints?

Post by TSINGA »

I'm looking for some suggestions on blade steels that don't grab fingerprints. I've noticed ZDP-189 and LC200N both show fingerprints like crazy whereas VG-10, H1, and S-30V don't. In your experience which steels minimize the appearance of fingerprints on the blade after touching them with clean hands?

Thanks.
Tsinga
vivi

Re: Best steels to avoid fingerprints?

Post by vivi »

The finish is more important than the steel.
:unicorn
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I have to ask, why are you so worried about fingerprints? As you use, carry, and sharpen your knives, they're going to pick up all kinds of marks.

If it's that big of a deal to you, your best bet might be to pick up a microfiber cloth so you can wipe them down after handling.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:41 pm
I have to ask, why are you so worried about fingerprints? [...]
Because, you know, cops, CSI and stuff :D
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

StuntZombie wrote:
I have to ask, why are you so worried about fingerprints? As you use, carry, and sharpen your knives, they're going to pick up all kinds of marks.

If it's that big of a deal to you, your best bet might be to pick up a microfiber cloth so you can wipe them down after handling.
I just prefer my knives to not act as magnets for fingerprints and am looking for some advice on blade steels and or finishes to minimize their appearance. I have only found 3 steels that satisfy me in this regard (VG-10, S30V, and H1). I'd like to broaden my horizons a little with some different steels but find ZDP-189 and LC200N just don't do it for me. In the Dragonfly lineup I find the fingerprinting on ZDP-189 is far greater than that of VG-10 and H1.

Oh and most of my knives are not carried, used, or sharpened for some crazy reason.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

StuntZombie has your problem solved. Microfiber cloth and a wipe down. If it is good enough for NickShabazz, it's good enough for me. Dude cleans it all and cleans it well, with microfiber.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Ah. So you're mostly just pulling them out from somewhere, fiddling with them and putting them back?

Maxamet might be a good option, since it has more of a subdued rather than polished finish. But, if you're not using it, I'm not sure the price premium would be worth it.

I think most of the CPM steels tend to have a satin finish that does well hiding fingerprints. Or, since you're not using them, you could just stick to the steels you prefer. You'll have a lot of different models to choose from.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:21 pm
Ah. So you're mostly just pulling them out from somewhere, fiddling with them and putting them back?

Maxamet might be a good option, since it has more of a subdued rather than polished finish. But, if you're not using it, I'm not sure the price premium would be worth it.

I think most of the CPM steels tend to have a satin finish that does well hiding fingerprints. Or, since you're not using them, you could just stick to the steels you prefer. You'll have a lot of different models to choose from.
Absolutely correct. I pull them out, fiddle awhile, and then put them back. I also have a habit of selling them and then buying the same models over again :D . I just want to try something different and it irks me to see the fingerprints.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wear cotton gloves while fondling the knives?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Get coated blades
Zive

Post by Zive »

Stunt Zombie’s right. It’s probably the least important reason to choose Maxamet, but Spyderco stonewashes the blades so they have more of a matte finish. If you like to fidget the Manix 2 might be worth considering.

Practically speaking a microfiber cloth would be much more economical.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TSINGA wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:06 pm
StuntZombie wrote:

I just prefer my knives to not act as magnets for fingerprints and am looking for some advice on blade steels and or finishes to minimize their appearance. I have only found 3 steels that satisfy me in this regard (VG-10, S30V, and H1). I'd like to broaden my horizons a little with some different steels but find ZDP-189 and LC200N just don't do it for me. In the Dragonfly lineup I find the fingerprinting on ZDP-189 is far greater than that of VG-10 and H1.

Oh and most of my knives are not carried, used, or sharpened for some crazy reason.
Any highly polished steel is gonna show fingerprints. Stonewashed blades don't show the fingerprints nearly as much.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

People here always have good answers. I'll add that waxing the blade with paste wax keeps the oils and salt from getting in the pores and beginning corrosion. Some oils I've seen used on knives really show fingerprints even though they are preventing corrosion. If it's just aesthetics you are thinking of then coarser finishes , coatings or wax. Wax seems to clean the steel up and make it very pretty. It shines it up while cleaning and stopping corrosion. It will look best on high quality finishes while on stone wash finishes it really helps seal the pores to keep it corrosion free. To me stone wash finishes mean more care to keep rust spots away.
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

Thank you to everyone who responded this evening.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Alvin Karpis hired a mob physician to cut away the epidermis on his fingertips, burn the prints away with hydrochloric acid, and scrape off whatever ridges remained. If your fingerprint dilemma doesn't require such drastic measures, perhaps you could benefit from knife wax. I have a bottle of Flitz, and it works reasonably well at managing metal surfaces. Even car wax should work, if that's what you have available. I think these latter options are your best bet, as Alvin Karpis' fingerprints eventually grew back.
iu-1.jpeg
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Just keep a microfiber cloth and 99.9% rubbing alcohol nearby.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Gloves.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Try plastic cutlery?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:19 pm
StuntZombie has your problem solved. Microfiber cloth and a wipe down. If it is good enough for NickShabazz, it's good enough for me. Dude cleans it all and cleans it well, with microfiber.
Please tell me you don't envy that clown Shabazz?? :confused:

This question is definitely one of the oddest I've seen in awhile!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I just use my sweat pants to wipe off my Manix 2 LW after I'm done fidgeting. Man I love this knife.