Blown Away - Sage 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

Blown Away - Sage 5 LW

Post by M Sea »

I have caught a little well deserved but good natured criticism for my enthusiasm of knives here a few times, and I get it. I do, I love knives, especially Spyderco’s BUT...I am completely blown away how smooth the action is and how perfect the fit/finish is on this new Sage 5 LW that came today. Its absolutely perfect. So happy with this one. I love it.
A9197826-B5AE-476E-B755-37F681C9BE79.jpeg
E0906000-2FD4-4C1B-A6F3-C79FEABC902B.jpeg
benben

Re: Blown Away - Sage 5 LW

Post by benben »

Great pics! I for one enjoy every knife pic you post!
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Couldn’t agree more about the Sage 5 LW, it really surprised me. A true sleeper!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

benben wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:38 pm
Great pics! I for one enjoy every knife pic you post!
Ha, thanks. So Warstein’s enthusiasm for the Chap had me take a chance on it. He was right about all of it, 100%. I liked the Chap alot, especially the blade shape. I was impressed how it went through the weekly cardboard pile so easily so I ordered the Sage 5 LW and am even more impressed and the fidget factor is off the charts with the compression lock and how smooth it is. Spydie flicks like a dream!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:42 pm
Couldn’t agree more about the Sage 5 LW, it really surprised me. A true sleeper!
Absolutely!! It’s already up there with the Military and the Chef as a favorite Spyderco. How this knife flies a little below the radar is beyond me. Wow, its just that good.
JMM

Post by JMM »

It's my favourite LW model from any series, I put Micarta scales on mine and I like it even more. :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely a fantastic contender for the title of best EDC all arounder!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 pm
It's my favourite LW model from any series, I put Micarta scales on mine and I like it even more. :)
Oh wow, bet thats sweet!!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:08 pm
Definitely a fantastic contender for the title of best EDC all arounder!
Agreed!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:45 pm
benben wrote:
Ha, thanks. So Warstein’s enthusiasm for the Chap had me take a chance on it. He was right about all of it, 100%. I liked the Chap alot, especially the blade shape. I was impressed how it went through the weekly cardboard pile so easily so I ordered the Sage 5 LW and am even more impressed and the fidget factor is off the charts with the compression lock and how smooth it is. Spydie flicks like a dream!

Glad I was not wrong and you obviously like the Chap as much as I do (or almost as much, since I R E A L L Y like it ;) )

Now the Sage 5 LW has a similar shape as the Chap, but is still in many aspects a very different knife for me (blade stock thickness, lock...) - but what indeed IS similar to the Chap: The Sage 5 also is a prime example for a spyderco-ish perfectly designed folder that totally makes sense. Said it often before: In the small comp.lock knife arena the Sage 5 for me is the "clearly better Para 3", and I so hope that in the future the former will get all the variants instead of the latter.

Some aspects why I think the Sage 5 is so perfectly thought through for a small folder:

1.) Ergos: In the Sage the downside of the handle (where the fingers sit) is made as long as possible, with no hook or other space restricting features at the handle end. Important in small knives imho, so one can still get a good four finger grip behind the choil in order to offer two good grip options.
2.) Bladestock: Really sturdy (3mm, like for example in the much larger Endura) but not overly and unnecessarily thick for a small folder (2.5 mm would be even better though)
3.) Leaf shaped blade: This is totally subjective, but for me the leaf shape and by that a bit taller blade is great in small folders
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:38 pm
M Sea wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:45 pm
benben wrote:

Glad I was not wrong and you obviously like the Chap as much as I do (or almost as much, since I R E A L L Y like it ;) )

Now the Sage 5 LW has a similar shape as the Chap, but is still in many aspects a very different knife for me (blade stock thickness, lock...) - but what indeed IS similar to the Chap: The Sage 5 also is a prime example for a spyderco-ish perfectly designed folder that totally makes sense. Said it often before: In the small comp.lock knife arena the Sage 5 for me is the "clearly better Para 3", and I so hope that in the future the former will get all the variants instead of the latter.

Some aspects why I think the Sage 5 is so perfectly thought through for a small folder:

1.) Ergos: In the Sage the downside of the handle (where the fingers sit) is made as long as possible, with no hook or other space restricting features at the handle end. Important in small knives imho, so one can still get a good four finger grip behind the choil in order to offer two good grip options.
2.) Bladestock: Really sturdy (3mm, like for example in the much larger Endura) but not overly and unnecessarily thick for a small folder (2.5 mm would be even better though)
3.) Leaf shaped blade: This is totally subjective, but for me the leaf shape and by that a bit taller blade is great in small folders
All great points. A little bit thinner blade stock would be even better!! The thing that impressed the most about this one was just how perfect/smooth the action is. Its my smoothest Spydie.
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I can understand where your coming from my Sage 5 LW was my second Spyderco and today I have the sage 5 and picked up a Sage 1 because of the liner lock style which works better for me. Nice job :D
in order they were bought from L > R

Signalman :mad: :) :D
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Signalman1 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:33 pm
I can understand where your coming from my Sage 5 LW was my second Spyderco and today I have the sage 5 and picked up a Sage 1 because of the liner lock style which works better for me. Nice job :D
in order they were bought from L > R

Signalman :mad: :) :D
Oh wow, that’s very cool!
JMM

Post by JMM »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:09 pm
JMM wrote:
Added a bronzed wire clip as well, but I'm too lazy atm to take a new pic, it really looks slick IMO

:)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 pm
M Sea wrote:
JMM wrote:
Added a bronzed wire clip as well, but I'm too lazy atm to take a new pic, it really looks slick IMO

Nice, I didnt even know they had bronze wire clips. Where did you find that? Thanks.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Sage 5 is IMO one of the best Spyderco designs. I would love to see it with a button-lock and more options on handle and steel materials.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JMM

Post by JMM »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:54 am
JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 pm
M Sea wrote:
JMM wrote:

Nice, I didnt even know they had bronze wire clips. Where did you find that? Thanks.
Heat treat
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Got it, thanks.
swigert

Post by swigert »

It’s always on my short list but I’ve still never grabbed one.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

The Sage 5 LW is fantastic...to the point I’ll probably sell my Para 3 LW because the Sage is better in every way except the steel.