A larger Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NCC-2893

Re: A larger Dragonfly

Post by NCC-2893 »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 am
I'll draw one up and see what it looks like. I'm sure ergos would have to be modified. The D'Fly was a challenging design to fit a knife in between the Ladybug and the Delica.

sal
I think over the years you guys have proven there's still plenty of room between some of these designs to fill in new knives, (Endela immidiately comes to mind). My main thought on this was simply that the Dragonfly experience feels intrinsically different than most of your other knives. My personal thought is expanding on that user experience, which I believe to be a knife indexed primarily with the fingers that cuts like a scalpel. Thanks for the response Sal.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
I'll draw one up and see what it looks like. I'm sure ergos would have to be modified. The D'Fly was a challenging design to fit a knife in between the Ladybug and the Delica.

sal
Hi Sal,

i whould also be interested in a DFY XL.
Did you (spyderco crew) ever discuss my draft i sent you last year?

ASF
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 pm
If it had a 2.49 inch blade, I might be interested as there are no backlocks in that range that I recall.
A 2.49 inch back lock would be a nice addition to the line up. It doesn't need to be a Dragonfly, per se, though.

Side note. A Dfly XL would totally be called a Meganeura: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meganeura

....meanwhile Cold Steel releases the Mothra.
sal

Post by sal »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal,

ASF

Hi Austrian_Spyder,

I'm sorry to say that I do not remember your draft on the D'Fly. My bad :o How did you send it? Can you resend it? My emails to Spyderco have been a problem for the past 6 months and I am not receiving all of my emails.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:44 am
Where is EvilD when we need him ? :eek:

Oh I'm here with fingers crossed.

sal wrote:

sal
Let me save ya the trouble :D

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:55 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
If it had a 2.49 inch blade, I might be interested as there are no backlocks in that range that I recall.
A 2.49 inch back lock would be a nice addition to the line up. It doesn't need to be a Dragonfly, per se, though.

Side note. A Dfly XL would totally be called a Meganeura: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meganeura

....meanwhile Cold Steel releases the Mothra.
i'm kinda upset you got me to look this up. i'm not usually this gullible.

😂
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Great to see some hope of an addition to the Dragonfly family.

Of course, it cannot be a Dragonfly as that already exists. It be like saying to a friend “I really enjoy your friendship, but I really wish you were taller!” Your friend is as they are, change something major and they are no longer the totality that is your friend.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:43 pm
Great to see some hope of an addition to the Dragonfly family.

Of course, it cannot be a Dragonfly as that already exists. It be like saying to a friend “I really enjoy your friendship, but I really wish you were taller!” Your friend is as they are, change something major and they are no longer the totality that is your friend.
I would believe this new knife would have its own identity. At one time it was blasphemous to make changes to the Military, and then we got the PM2. The PM2 was already a mini version of the Military, but we still got the Para 3. I truly believe there's ways to play with how the Dragonfly feels in hand, and THAT experience is what I envision this new knife would be chasing.

This post has forced me to figure out what exactly I was thinking and feeling about using the Dragonfly. I was cutting up some cardboard (yes I know, the youtuber test-cut material of choice) and wondered why I enjoyed using the Dragonfly so much. I realized that it allowed me to another degree of movement in my wrist to take the cut farther and tweak the direction of the cut. When the typical ergonomics of a larger Spyderco knife melts into my hand, the knife becomes my hand and the way to maneuver the knife and maintain support is to lock the wrist and move the elbow and arm to control the cut. This creates a lot of power for the cut but limits the control to an extent. The Dragonfly rests primarily in my fingers, giving me my wrist as another degree of movement. One could certainly ease up with other knives to get the same experience, but Spyderco's are so purpose built that the natural reaction for any other large knife is to plant it firmly in hand, often forgetting about being able to finesse the knife. My theory in a larger Dragonfly, is that it defaults to the finger index like the original, but slightly larger with a slightly larger blade, and hopefully bring some of the styling elements along for the ride.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

That's kind of where my head goes, but I'm sure there will be details that will have to be sorted; longer clip, etc. 1st dwg is for 2.9" blade. We'll start there. Then I'll try 2.75".

Hi NCC,

Thanx for the explanation. I'll keep that in mind when designing a possible largeer version.

sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TomAiello wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

The Lil Native backlock has a 2.42 inch blade according to specs. I find it to be a fantastic knife, in large hands.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'd be super interested in a Dfly XL
and EvilD's design looks really cool
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
austrian_spyder_fan

I love EvilD's Version.
austrian_spyder_fan

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:19 pm
austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal,

ASF

Hi Austrian_Spyder,

I'm sorry to say that I do not remember your draft on the D'Fly. My bad :o How did you send it? Can you resend it? My emails to Spyderco have been a problem for the past 6 months and I am not receiving all of my emails.

sal
Hi Sal,

no problem, the design is not worth mentioning.
I sent it to peterj in august.
Re sent it to your aol address.
Thank you for checking it out.

ASF
benben

Post by benben »

I’m all for it, but why now?? This has been talked about and brought up numerous without so much as a “maybe we’ll look into it?” New guy shows up and suggest a larger DF and Sal chimes in immediately, and I thought JD had the clout around here!

Next time I have a suggestion I’m going to run it by NCC-2893 and let him present it for me! ;)

I was always in on David’s mock up, well done! I didn’t go back and read those previous posts but I *think* my suggestion then for OAL was 6.75”. So a G-10 Foliage Green 6.5” / 6.75” Dragonfly in whatever steel Sal chooses would definitely get my money!

Well done new guy!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:20 am
This thread hurts my heart.

The Dragonfly is perfectly sized for 5th pocket carry and real-world EDC. There are plenty of knives out there that occupy the next size up category. I think an XL version would lose some of the ergo and utility magic that have made it so successful. It’s useful BECAUSE of its size, not in spite of it.

With that said - I have smaller hands, so if an XL version duplicates the ergos for some of you gorillas then why not.

Edit: I just saw sal mentioned that the ergos would have to be modified. Y’all are trying to kill the golden goose.

About what I meant in my previous post: A Dfly XL would certainly be very cool (and I mean it!!) but compete with several other pretty similar models in that size range (starting with the Chap, which is closed almost as short as the DFly but offers a lot more blade that additionally is thinner)

While making a Chaparral larger into a Chaparral XL (or "Endela thin edition" or whatever) would be really something new and different: A superslicer with a uniquely thin ffg blade in lets say the Endela size range. Such a knife additionally was mentioned and proposed quite often by quite many here, so probably there is a market for it?! (This shall NOT sound" jealous" by any means, I am really just interested in the "why" and reasoning!! )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it was as simple as choosing the model that fits a size category there would only be 3 knives being made and they'd just name them Small, Medium and Large and that's all we'd ever buy.
~David
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:21 pm
elena86 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:44 am
Where is EvilD when we need him ? :eek:

Oh I'm here with fingers crossed.

sal wrote:

sal
Let me save ya the trouble :D

This is so good, exactly what I think Of when I envision the design.
austrian_spyder_fan

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 am
If it was as simple as choosing the model that fits a size category there would only be 3 knives being made and they'd just name them Small, Medium and Large and that's all we'd ever buy.
You are so right!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D, please put a dent in that bottom drawing right now sir! :D At least you kept the jimping. And the dent IS in the top drawing. ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:51 am
Evil D, please put a dent in that bottom drawing right now sir! :D At least you kept the jimping. And the dent IS in the top drawing. ;)

Lazy draftsmanship on my part :o
~David