A larger Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: A larger Dragonfly

Post by sal »

Hi Benben,

It wasn't a "new guy prompt". It was a "here's another of the many requests". So I felt there were enough requests that I can see if it will work. I'll need to mod sketches, make plastic models, refine until I get something that I think will work and is not covered by another model. I agree that the D'Fly is really a "finger" knife with the thumb, index and middle fingers controlling the cut. as mentioned, I wouldn't want to lose that feature.

I've designed a few "3 finger (thumb, index and middle fingers) models in the past, just never moved on them. Now I'm going to be "forced" to re-address the possibility. Lot of "trouble makers on this forum. :p

Hi ASF,

Got your drawing but couldn't open it. I'm having staff open and print it for me.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 am
If it was as simple as choosing the model that fits a size category there would only be 3 knives being made and they'd just name them Small, Medium and Large and that's all we'd ever buy.

You are right of course and even more so Sal of course certainly knows what he is doing (and what makes sense, what he just likes to do and so on)!!

My point was more marketingwise and just out of interest for understanding the underlying thought process:

- A larger DFly is certainly cool, and it can never hurt to have more backlock knives with reasonable thin bladestock (I do hope the 2.5mm of the "regular" DFly will be kept!). But still it will compete with some already existing somewhat similar models

- While making "the other small Spydie" - the Chap - larger would result in something really unique... and actually also in something that I think was wished for certainly more often than a DFly XL (not necessarily a Chap XL was wished for more often, but generally and finally an a bit larger, slim knife with the great performing 2mm bladestock).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm
Hi Benben,

It wasn't a "new guy prompt". It was a "here's another of the many requests". So I felt there were enough requests that I can see if it will work. I'll need to mod sketches, make plastic models, refine until I get something that I think will work and is not covered by another model. I agree that the D'Fly is really a "finger" knife with the thumb, index and middle fingers controlling the cut. as mentioned, I wouldn't want to lose that feature.

I've designed a few "3 finger (thumb, index and middle fingers) models in the past, just never moved on them. Now I'm going to be "forced" to re-address the possibility. Lot of "trouble makers on this forum. :p

Hi ASF,

Got your drawing but couldn't open it. I'm having staff open and print it for me.

sal
Thank you sir for the explanation, I hope you know my post was completely tongue and cheek, or at least I hope it came across that way!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:54 am
sal wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 am
I'll draw one up and see what it looks like. I'm sure ergos would have to be modified. The D'Fly was a challenging design to fit a knife in between the Ladybug and the Delica.

sal

Thank you Sal for even considering the idea. Mark my words, this is going to be a hit.

I hope it will be a hit, but that the owner of the company picks up suggestions out of this forum is a "hit" in any case anyway, again and again... :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

No probs Benben,

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If it is a Dragonfly, I'll have to buy it. I can always use another one. I am anxiously waiting to see what Sal comes up with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm
Hi Benben,

Hi ASF,

sal
The "triangle" shape of the blade and the bevel at the back of the blade musst be kept for the original DFY feeling.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ASF,

We call that area the "cockpit".

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love my Dragonfly. I assume I would also love one a bit larger, and would have to have one. I would prefer it to be Salty. I'm not sure how everyone else feels about that, but since it wouldn't have liners (I hope), why not?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pretty stoked about this.

I wanted about a 3" blade, because I think that's the best compromise for EDC, by 2.9" or even 2.75" would still be pretty rad. The Dragonfly's dexterity and thin blade stock are what make it so cool for me, and I'd love a similar "finger knife" with a bit longer blade.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:53 pm
Pretty stoked about this.

I wanted about a 3" blade, because I think that's the best compromise for EDC, by 2.9" or even 2.75" would still be pretty rad. The Dragonfly's dexterity and thin blade stock are what make it so cool for me, and I'd love a similar "finger knife" with a bit longer blade.

Right, if the DFly XL would have an about 3" blade, it could fill a niche in Spydercos lineup:
In this size range out of the more common models only the Delica has a reasonably thin bladestock, but all of the option that have a choil a rather thick one (3.00 up to 3.7 mm)
So if a 3" DFly XL would keep the 2.5mm bladestock, this would be a "performance"-alternative to that thicker small folders with a choil.
And it would offer a backlock, so all in all not bad at all.

(And then I hope the next step could indeed be to make the Chap larger... THIS would be a REAL performer with 2.00 mm stock on a longer blade).
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 pm
Right, if the DFly XL would have an about 3" blade, it could fill a niche in Spydercos lineup:
In this size range out of the more common models only the Delica has a reasonably thin bladestock, but all of the option that have a choil a rather thick one (3.00 up to 3.7 mm)
So if a 3" DFly XL would keep the 2.5mm bladestock, this would be a "performance"-alternative to that thicker small folders with a choil.
And it would offer a backlock, so all in all not bad at all.

(And then I hope the next step could indeed be to make the Chap larger... THIS would be a REAL performer with 2.00 mm stock on a longer blade).
Yea, I agree on the thin blade stock - it's one of the reasons the D'fly is my favorite cardboard slicer.

I've still yet to try a chaparral. I came close with the maple model, but then I got the Shaman alert and purchased that instead.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:37 pm
Hi ASF,

We call that area the "cockpit".

sal
Sorry,
I'm still a newbie in knife makers language.
Today i played whith my Caly Jr., it has also the bevel at the back like the DFY.
I like this feature very much.
Reject

Post by Reject »

I think that if you are going to XL the Dragonfly; the increase in size should be in all dimensions.
Including the Spydie hole.
And it should be not be enlarged to the Size of the Chaparral.

The increase in size should not be just because; (I want a bigger Dragonfly). I think it should be done in a way that enhances the existing qualities of the Dragonfly.

Reasoning: The Dragonfly is some times called a little/big knife, in that in use it punches well above its size and weight. It’s small enough to get lost in the pocket, but you will be surprised what you can get done with this little knife. :) But people who use their Dragonfly a lot, already know that.

It is also a big/little knife. The Dragonfly is a product of genius, it is a little knife with the ergonomics of a large knife. In use and in the opening and closing of the knife.

I have old battered hands from too many years of manual labour and the uncountable number rounds put down range competing in pistol matches. Using small folders is starting become a problem. If that is your problem too; the Dragonfly is the answer.

The Dragonfly is even useable while wearing work gloves; which is remarkable for such a small knife.

I think that a small increase in size; in all dimensions would enhance the already great qualities of the Dragonfly. Also open the market to people with larger hands or who wear gloves.

:eek: Its still got to be small enough to get lost in the pocket.

Making a longer Dragonfly is; :( just going to be a longer Dragonfly, with no improvement in ergonomics and useability.
How much can a Koala bear?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Reject wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:25 am
I think that if you are going to XL the Dragonfly; the increase in size should be in all dimensions.
And it should be not be enlarged to the Size of the Chaparral.

Reasoning: The Dragonfly is some times called a little/big knife, in that in use it punches well above its size and weight.

The Dfly IS a remarkable knife indeed, but I don´t see what you mean by "the increase in size should be in all dimensions" but "not to the size of a Chaparral" - ?! Hard to do imho, here my reasoning:

- The Dfly is only an a bit smaller package than the Chap - closed/handle length 85 vs 91 mm, so 6mm difference.
It is just the BLADE (and edge) of the Chaparral that is a lot longer - 71 to 58 mm, so 13 mm difference. So the difference in BLADElength between Chap and Dfly is more than twice than the difference in handle length. The Chap is only about 7 % longer than the DFly when closed, but has a blade that is more than 20 % longer.
(This is also why I feel like: Actually the CHAP "punches well ABOVE its size", while the DFly punches great IN its size (it has just a short, limiting blade for its overall size, but certainly is great in tasks for just such a small blade))

- The Dfly is also a bit narrower / less wide, but the Chap is slimmer (thinner).

So I think it is hard to "enlarge the DFly in all dimensions" but still stay UNDER the size of the Chap...?!
Reject

Post by Reject »

The Dragonfly’s primary role is that of a small knife, make it too big and it no longer fills that role.
There plenty of room there to move without taking it into direct competition with the Chaparral.

:rolleyes: I am not really into this trend of; (If it was only a foot longer or XL or XXL or thinner or fatter. Then I would buy it; thing).

Changes should be made to improve a product, not just for change sake. :o But I suppose; if it sells, It sells.

:( I just don't see any gain in making it longer.
How much can a Koala bear?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Gain ?! Allow me to explain, it’s easy : some of us love the Dfly as it is but we sometimes need a little more edge to be “covered” in most situations so a 2.75”-2.9” blade would expand its cutting capability without altering the brilliant ideea behind the design of this so called king of the “little big knives”. A 2.75”-2.9” blade would turn the Dfly into a very capable little big knife, the king of kings so to speak. I keep saying that the Dfly is Sal’s best designs ever but the XL Dfly would push his masterpiece as close to perfection as possible.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I 100% agree. The Dragonfly 2 is not just unique and special because of its size; its a flat out great design. First off it is just a beautiful knife in fact I think it may be Spyderco's most esthetically pleasing designs and secondly the use of space is brilliant; there is no material that doesn't need to be there. The fact of the mater is that what makes the Dragonfly such a great knife is not it's size (there's smaller knives out there) but it's efficient use of space. This is why I think that if they were to make a Dragonfly XL it would still serve a purpose. It wouldn't be another Delica or Endela; it would be its own thing. If Spyderco made one of these I definitely think it would be a hit.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

No thanx....I like it the way it is. Don't mess the dfly.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm
I 100% agree. The Dragonfly 2 is not just unique and special because of its size; its a flat out great design. First off it is just a beautiful knife in fact I think it may be Spyderco's most esthetically pleasing designs and secondly the use of space is brilliant; there is no material that doesn't need to be there. The fact of the mater is that what makes the Dragonfly such a great knife is not it's size (there's smaller knives out there) but it's efficient use of space. This is why I think that if they were to make a Dragonfly XL it would still serve a purpose. It wouldn't be another Delica or Endela; it would be its own thing. If Spyderco made one of these I definitely think it would be a hit.
Funny, I was reading the recent post about the guy buying the pink DF and thought to myself that I needed to get one because they are so good looking. I realized after thinking about it for a few minutes that not only are they really about the perfect "small" knife, but they are, IMHO, the best looking, especially with the leaf blade. Clearly I like them, in the slightly more than one month since I acquired my first Spyderco, I have amassed 4 DF's. The ZDP-189 being my favorite, followed by the Orange VG10. Need a Pink S30V and a K390 next.