Native Chief Titanium Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
warbow150

Native Chief Titanium Scales

Post by warbow150 »

Howdy,
I have a S90V sprint run Native Chief. Does anyone make a set of titanium scales for it yet?
Thanks!
vivi

Re: Native Chief Titanium Scales

Post by vivi »

I haven't seen any custom Chief scales yet, but I would love some micarta myself.
:unicorn
vanka

Post by vanka »

Too early or the knife is not very popular yet. Usually you get to see custom scales for pm2, manix 2 etc. knives that are very popular and tey're on the market for many years. I think there's a few guys that actually can make custom scales out of titanium, bronze etc but they'll ask you to send the knife because they don't have it. Once they're done they'll send you back the knife with the scales. I imagine this is going to be costly process both in time and monies. But i'm with you on this - would love titanium or bronze scales. Maybe even copper.... or bright red custom pattern g10. Right now i'm eyeing a zirconium 3D clip for my cf chief.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Micarta, grippy G-10, titanium....somebody make it happen!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vanka

Post by vanka »

If we can organize a small group of ppl willing to buy titanium scales we can just speak with flytanium. Seems they have good pricing and work with titanium, copper and brass. Just wondering how many people is the minimum to make it happen.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

vanka wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:53 pm
If we can organize a small group of ppl willing to buy titanium scales we can just speak with flytanium. Seems they have good pricing and work with titanium, copper and brass. Just wondering how many people is the minimum to make it happen.
In my experience, the best thing to do is to email them and request what material you want for what model. If they get enough requests, they do a run of them.

I've contacted a ton of aftermarket scale makers and they've pretty much universally told me that's how they choose what new models to make scales for.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

A pair of Lotus Micarta scales would be cool on a native chief. I'm about to receive my 3rd (jade g10/m4 one from BHQ) and I want to patina and chance sales if possible.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

vanka wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:28 pm
Too early or the knife is not very popular yet. Usually you get to see custom scales for pm2, manix 2 etc. knives that are very popular and tey're on the market for many years. I think there's a few guys that actually can make custom scales out of titanium, bronze etc but they'll ask you to send the knife because they don't have it. Once they're done they'll send you back the knife with the scales. I imagine this is going to be costly process both in time and monies. But i'm with you on this - would love titanium or bronze scales. Maybe even copper.... or bright red custom pattern g10. Right now i'm eyeing a zirconium 3D clip for my cf chief.
Who would these people be?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hmmm...compared to the inherent limitations of FRN and composite scales (G-10, Micarta, CF, etc.), a Native Chief linerless scale in titanium MIGHT be feasible enough for a maker to design an aftermarket scale. Rockscale Designs has already managed this with their linerless titanium Manix 2 scales. Now it's just a question of enough demand for 3rd party companies to start the design and production process.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I asked all the major scale vendors about Micarta the other day, the only response I got was that Karbadize was "planning on doing the Chief."

We'll see. Others folks seemed to think the liner-less construction may be difficult to work around.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since the Chief is linerless I figure it is much harder to make decent custom "scales" for it - actually it would have to be a custom handle, right?

With titanium of course the way to go anyway, but with other materials not easy if one wants come only close to the quality and fit and finish I figure the factory Chief has.

Anyway: The best Chief in the very best handle material does exist already, at least in prototypes: The FRN LW!! ;)

(Edited for spelling]
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would really like fluted Ti scales to match the Native 5 fluted Ti. Anything less than that is a compromise! :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

So... still no titanium scales for the Chief, right?

Cmon, aftermarket industry... you can do this!
notorious fidgeteer
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

There's a Czech maker that does for sure micarta. I need to find his name back, maybe he did do some Ti scales too. I'll either edit this if it goes fast, or post again in 1 month :')

edit : found it, goes by Mydlinka TM on facebook. I know for sure he did these since the owner told me, he paid 100€ for those and it's good work.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:52 pm
There's a Czech maker that does for sure micarta. ....

Probably the nicest looking Chief I´ve ever seen...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

I have been wanting and thinking about making some titanium scales for my chief for a looong time! To me it seems it would be easier than micarta since I wouldn’t have to do threaded inserts or nested backplates.. could just make some holes,thread the titanium, and shape it. I’ve made my own micarta shaman scales and titanium SAK scales before. I just need time to do it, which is hard at the moment
cjk

Post by cjk »

Rips Garage Tech makes titanium scales for the linerless G-10 Native 5. If anybody might be willing to do this, I'd think he'd be the best bet.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

...or maybe we can just have a regular production Chief with titanium handle straight away? Sal? :cheap-sunglasses
notorious fidgeteer
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:10 pm
...or maybe we can just have a regular production Chief with titanium handle straight away? Sal? :cheap-sunglasses
That would be quite the knife!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:10 pm
I'll buy a couple. Not that that should make managerial decision a YES, but I like the idea. Make it plain TI, maybe charcoal colored...tumbled looking.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/