Spyderco Street Beat Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Spyderco Street Beat Review

Post by vivi »

If you want to be even more perplexed, consider the Street Bowie price VS the enuff. 5" long 4mm thick blade, dual material handle which I'd imagine costs more than the Street Beat handle, it sells for the same as the Street Beat and cheaper than the enuff.
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:28 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:15 pm
TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:38 pm
Wartstein, here's that comparison with the Stretch 2's blade shape:

:eek: Thanks!

That´s almost exactly the Stretch edge geometry... did not realize that, makes the Street beat even more appealing to me...
Yeo, they're awfully close. Even the tip is a very similar angle.

(btw: I did not know that you have a straight spine Stretch... you actually never carry it? Too short blade for you? The ergos should be to your liking...)
I don't own any Stretches at the moment, that's just a picture zoomed in roughly to scale on my phone. The K390 SSS looks like a real nice knife though.
I know from another thread that you have adapted your technique to more continuous curved edges when whittling wood, but don´t you feel at all that this works better with a Stretch / Street Beat like edge? Like in that the edge does not slip as easy of the wood and (like with a wharnie) can transfer more power?
I don't feel any advantages in cutting wood with these blade shapes or wharncliffes vs the continuous curved edges like the Police 4, Military, etc. When I'm carving I'm generally using a push cut motion. Some people slice with the full edge or part of the edge. I'm sure which type of cutting motion one uses could change the type of blade they prefer.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:20 pm
Oh man - anytime I see the Street Beat mentioned I have to check it out, and I'm not disappointed here. This was an excellent review, and I hope we get that k390 SB sometime soon. Here's a pic of one of my Street Beats:

Nice seeing another well used Street Beat :cool:
:unicorn
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Awesome review!!
sal

Post by sal »

I've learned to appreciate Vivi's "tell it like it is" approach.

sal
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

One thing I'll add was on my SB I stippled the top and bottom of the handle. In the gun world people stipple Glocks for better grip. They use a small hot iron and dot the entire frame. I always felt my SB was slick. But instead of stippling the whole grip I just did the top around the butt and along the bottom. This helped mine a lot!! I don't have pictures but when I get some I'll put them up. Just something I did that helped. But it's a one time deal and there's no going back! So take that into consideration!
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

20210401_210949_copy_2268x3024.jpg
20210401_210935_copy_2268x3024.jpg
20210401_211000_copy_2268x3024.jpg
20210401_211012_copy_2268x3024.jpg
Maybe not the prettiest shop but it was my first and it works perfectly. The grip is much better for me and I did not do the finger groove or sides.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks for a most insightful review, photos and comments.

I have the old-style sheath .... Spyderco, would you sell me the new style sheath and would it fit my older, non-LW SB?
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

flash900 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm
Thanks for a most insightful review, photos and comments.

I have the old-style sheath .... Spyderco, would you sell me the new style sheath and would it fit my older, non-LW SB?
I have both the original SB and the LW model with the newer sheath, and I can confirm that the older SB does not fit in the LW sheath particularly well. The LW model handle is very slightly thicker, so the original SB doesn't really lock in there. FWIW, I'd recommend looking at Armatus Carry for an aftermarket Street Beat sheath. I don't have one of his, but I have other sheaths from him for other knives and they're all phenomenal. I have no doubt that his SB sheath will be too.
--Jeremy
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks -- I'll check out Armatus Carry!