Handle forward lock back design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Handle forward lock back design

Post by skeeg11 »

A while back, Sal was looking for more feedback on handle forward designs. Basically, the only reason for
me to buy a larger knife is for more cutting edge and the handle forward design seems to fall in line with that concept. Not really a fan of 50/50 choils on larger knives. Guess I'm just a plain Jane vanilla type of guy. No humps or thumb ramps to interfere with hand positioning. No fancy doo sharp finger grooves, either.

Almost pulled the trigger several times on the Native Chief in its various configurations. For me the
blade/handle design is the most aesthetically and functionally pleasing in the pocket and at the ready among Spyderco's larger knives. The only thing holding me back was the 50/50/ choil. Those who like them on larger knives may think the Native Chief is the greatest thing since sliced bread and good on ya'. I would just like to see Spyderco pursue the handle forward concept on their larger knives. Larger knives are not their bread and butter size, but the handle forward concept just might stimulate more sales in the larger knife category.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Re: Handle forward lock back design

Post by vivi »

I would be all in for a Chief or similar sized design with no choil and a lockback.

For me on a 3.5 to 4" blade, the amount of dexterity a choil adds isn't worth the reduced cutting edge for me. I find a 4" blade plenty controllable gripped behind the choil.

I like choils on fixed blades in the 5-8" range, but even on those knives I can live without them.
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

What Vivi said ^
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the Sequoia/Cliff Jumper will answer this call, hopefully. I think the right handle design doesn't need a choil of you can position your grip just as close to the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m another fan of choil-less, handle-forward design for bigger folders. I love my Caribbean.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:39 pm
I think the Sequoia/Cliff Jumper will answer this call, hopefully. I think the right handle design doesn't need a choil of you can position your grip just as close to the edge.
Yup, this. Sal has mentioned already that he's working on a larger iteration of the Rockjumper which should serve this need well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can´t wait for more "handle forwars" lockback Spydies, especially in larger sizes!!

Said it in this thread already (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88284&start=40#p1505143): For me this particular (handle forward) design should by tendency be also about packing a lot of cutting edge in a compact handle. So make use of all of the available space in the handle (except perhaps for legal / blade length limit reasons)

Not saying that a long cutting edge always is the most important thing in the world, but (see Caribbean) it makes a knife more versatile and if Spyderco had one backlock line in the lineup that emphasizes long cutting edges for the overall size, I think this would be a good thing. Not (only) for me, but for the general market! (Just my uneducated 2c of course)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Leave off the choils, make the finger guard closer to the cutting edge. That is what I have harped on for years. I am glad to see the Rockjumper become a reality. Now I want some more knives like that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 pm
Leave off the choils, make the finger guard closer to the cutting edge. That is what I have harped on for years. I am glad to see the Rockjumper become a reality. Now I want some more knives like that.
Especially true for "small-midsized" knives like the Native.

- Really small knives (DFly, Chap) actually NEED a choil in order to offer a good four finger grip

- In the Native size though "handle forward" makes about 100% more sense than a choil:
The Native choil does:
a) shorten the available grip area on the actual (FRN / G10) handle so that larger hands can NOT get a good four finger grip there anymore (despite the overall handle length WOULD offer enough space for it if it had no choil)
b) shorten the available cutting edge
... kind of a "loose / loose" -scenario for me... "handle forward" would be a lot better: More grip area on the handle, more cutting edge in the same closed package...

Im really large knives I don´t mind or sometimes even like a choil: Leaves still enough space for a good grip on the actual handle, and still a good amount of cutting edge.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:46 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 pm
Especially true for "small-midsized" knives like the Native.

- Really small knives (DFly, Chap) actually NEED a choil in order to offer a good four finger grip

- In the Native size though "handle forward" makes about 100% more sense than a choil:
The Native choil does:
a) shorten the available grip area on the actual (FRN / G10) handle so that larger hands can NOT get a good four finger grip there anymore (despite the overall handle length WOULD offer enough space for it if it had no choil)
b) shorten the available cutting edge
... kind of a "loose / loose" -scenario for me... "handle forward" would be a lot better: More grip area on the handle, more cutting edge in the same closed package...

I really large knives I don´t mind or sometimes even like a choil: Leaves still enough space for a good grip on the actual handle, and still a good amount of cutting edge.
I agree with everything you said. The Native 5 would be my number one knife if it had a forward finger guard and no choil.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

The Goddard might be a good option to consider. Nice lightweight kickback with no humps or bumps and minimal choil. I love my Goddards.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:05 am
The Goddard might be a good option to consider. Nice lightweight kickback with no humps or bumps and minimal choil. I love my Goddards.
I'd second that emotion, it would seem to fit a lot of OPs needs.
Reasons I love my Goddard OD Sprint:
- all of the good attributes of a Seki FRN (lightweight, strong, slim)
- the well-balanced character of VG-10 (edge-retention, ease of sharpening, corrosion resistance)
- good blade length and handle ergonomics for my uses
- clean, attractive lines
- the added cachet of being both a collaborative design and a Sprint run
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Further to Wartsteins and Docs posts, nothing much to say other than I completely agree, as I have mentioned in numerous older conversations on this topic.