Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forest Green

Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Post by Forest Green »

Over the years my collection has grown, now its time to thin down my collection in order to make room for new knives. In the past I have sold on Ebay, but now Ebay is making it too challenging for my blood, I was hoping for some advice on the best methods of selling Spyderco knives, excluding Ebay.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Senfkarte

Re: Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Post by Senfkarte »

In another thread in this forum >>bladeforums.com<< had been mentioned. If I recall correctly you need a paid membership to sell there but if you need money fast this was named to be the best way.
If time is no concern >>ebay<< was said to be the platform, where you should get the most money on average.
I think >>reddit<< is another place, where you can sell knives.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Blade Forums if you want to turn them over fast. Like the above post mentions, a lot of folks sell through Reddit and there are at least a couple of mainstream Facebook groups. Depending on the size of your collection you may want to contact Arizona Custom Knives or Rivers Edge Cutlery about consignment. I think that New Graham accepts consignments as well. Others on the board have had different experiences with ebay but mine have mainly been bad. Good luck!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Matus

Post by Matus »

Sadly, for someone living in EU eBay appears to be one of the better options ... I had little luck trying to sell anything on bladeforums as shipping to US is prohibitive (around 55€ for insured shipping)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

I have often been surprised there isn’t a classified section here. Maybe it would attach to much of the wrong type of attention?

Has this ever been discussed?
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Forest Green wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
Over the years my collection has grown, now its time to thin down my collection in order to make room for new knives. In the past I have sold on Ebay, but now Ebay is making it too challenging for my blood, I was hoping for some advice on the best methods of selling Spyderco knives, excluding Ebay.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
What did eBay do to "make it too challenging"?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bladeforums Exchange. Gold membership pays for itself quickly compared to Ebay charging 10% of each sale. I like the format much better than Reddit and I don't have Facebook.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hambone wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:25 am
I have often been surprised there isn’t a classified section here. Maybe it would attach to much of the wrong type of attention?

I recently proposed a solution that would avoid BF and Ebay fees. I am waiting to see if I would be allowed to mention it here.
:unicorn
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:52 am
Hambone wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:25 am

I recently proposed a solution that would avoid BF and Ebay fees. I am waiting to see if I would be allowed to mention it here.
Absolute support from here.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd prefer to sell them here on Spyderco Forums. I don't use Ebay or Facebook, and BladeForums is out of the question.

If I had to I'd use Ebay or Facebook. I deleted my Facebook acct because if their over the top tracking and spying on the globe, but if necessary I could resurrect the acct for a short time.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:25 am
I'd prefer to sell them here on Spyderco Forums. I don't use Ebay or Facebook, and BladeForums is out of the question.

If I had to I'd use Ebay or Facebook. I deleted my Facebook acct because if their over the top tracking and spying on the globe, but if necessary I could resurrect the acct for a short time.
This is what I'm pushing for. I've done some deals over the years here via PM, email and meeting up in person. Prices are always much more fair and there's a greater sense of trust dealing with people I've discussed spydies with for 5+ years.

I also completely understand why Spyderco doesn't want to host that stuff here and feel responsible for things. So my proposal takes things off Spydercos site.

I emailed Taz about my idea and if she gives the OK I will put a link in my signature.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Forest Green wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
In the past I have sold on Ebay, but now Ebay is making it too challenging for my blood, I was hoping for some advice on the best methods of selling Spyderco knives, excluding Ebay.
You're right. Ebay has become problematic. Nor am I a fan of Bladeforums; they'll not get a dime of my cash. Generally I buy what I want and keep it, so I don't often sell anything, but I've had good luck on a couple items in a Facebook group called "Spyderco Knifes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:49 am
Bladeforums Exchange. Gold membership pays for itself quickly compared to Ebay charging 10% of each sale. I like the format much better than Reddit and I don't have Facebook.

Yeah, I do bladeforums gold membership and eBay. I also am a member of LT Wrights membership based Pout House forum and there is a Barter House subforum that is fairly active.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have only used eBay so far, and I have only sold to other German eBayers.

I'm curious to learn about your solution, Vivi. Does it consider overseas sellers?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:54 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:25 am

This is what I'm pushing for. I've done some deals over the years here via PM, email and meeting up in person. Prices are always much more fair and there's a greater sense of trust dealing with people I've discussed spydies with for 5+ years.

I also completely understand why Spyderco doesn't want to host that stuff here and feel responsible for things. So my proposal takes things off Spydercos site.

I emailed Taz about my idea and if she gives the OK I will put a link in my signature.
I'll take a look at whatever you do. You are one of the go-to guys/gals of Spyderco Forums!

I support it on principle, but in reality, I don't have anything to sell. I don't have too many Spyderco Knives and I'd never sell any of them. Everything is getting passed on to my brother, nephew and niece. Whatever they do not want I propose go to the USMC.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
sal

Post by sal »

I think that Vivi's idea is a good one and should serve. We're working out the details now (legal mumbo jumbo, etc.). I would also like to thank Vivi for his effort in this endeavor.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I also use the BF Exchange pretty much exclusively to sell my knives (and occasionally IG), and I sell them at pretty much what it cost me to buy them plus shipping and PayPal fees. Quite a few times, I’ve seen them then show up on eBay at jacked-up prices, which really bugs me. So if you see my CC-numbered knives on eBay, I am definitely not the seller (in fact I’ve never sold anything on eBay). I’m curious of what the Spyderco version will be like since BF has a pretty active group of moderators that oversee activities there, and I suspect something similar on this forum will take some people-power as well. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Didn't see this happening.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I acquire things, collect some, and am always cycling thru gear to find what it is I like best. Over time you find the need to clean the closets and let some things go. I've used Ebay (liked it back in the 90's/don't care for it much today ... but still use it as default due to lack of alternatives) and GunBroker (got tired paying ridiculous consignment fees at the local GS). I would welcome other avenue for selling knives that help keep dollars in pocket and lower cost to buyers.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:48 pm
. . . I’m curious of what the Spyderco version will be like since BF has a pretty active group of moderators that oversee activities there, and I suspect something similar on this forum will take some people-power as well. Cheers, Radioactive :)
I would be more than willing to give some “people power” for these efforts.