Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm
I think that Vivi's idea is a good one and should serve. We're working out the details now (legal mumbo jumbo, etc.). I would also like to thank Vivi for his effort in this endeavor.

sal
I'm excited to hear that it is being considered Sal!
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:22 pm
sal wrote:
I think that Vivi's idea is a good one and should serve. We're working out the details now (legal mumbo jumbo, etc.). I would also like to thank Vivi for his effort in this endeavor.

sal
Well this is exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about it. :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
blues

Post by blues »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:48 pm
I also use the BF Exchange pretty much exclusively to sell my knives (and occasionally IG), and I sell them at pretty much what it cost me to buy them plus shipping and PayPal fees. Quite a few times, I’ve seen them then show up on eBay at jacked-up prices, which really bugs me. So if you see my CC-numbered knives on eBay, I am definitely not the seller (in fact I’ve never sold anything on eBay). I’m curious of what the Spyderco version will be like since BF has a pretty active group of moderators that oversee activities there, and I suspect something similar on this forum will take some people-power as well. Cheers, Radioactive :)
I can't speak for what Sal will do here or elsewhere, but managing the "Exchange" over at bladeforums is a huge undertaking requiring not only lots of manpower, but tons of patience to read through and address the hundreds of reported posts it generates for any of a number of reasons...good, bad or unintended.

It's a wonderful tool, but it can also be abused and misused, and due to the size of the community, one can well imagine the volume of sales and trades engendered and the attention they may require.

Personally, I think Sal was on to something keeping this site free of commerce.
- Retired from the chase -
swigert

Post by swigert »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 pm
vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:22 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Well this is exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about it. :thumbsup:
Wow, this is potentially huge. I’ve got a lot of sprints and a large collection to trim down, I can wait to see why this is like.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when i first came here, i asked about selling here. now that i've been here a while though, i think i'd hate the element it would bring to the forum. you don't want to be on here trading with people you have no history with. you don't want to see posts about calling people out that you shouldn't deal with. you don't want someone that comes here and makes nonsense posts just trying to make a threshold so that they are able to trade and then run. i don't know... i like the idea of keeping it off the forum. i'm also happy enough to make trades via pm with people that are active.

i also tried a couple of fb groups. my newsfeed was completely flooded with nothing but knives. i kinda liked it, but it just made me want more than i needed and that's not why i have fb. also, there's less control there and i got sick of seeing people post their spyderco knives with a handful of weed. (and i'm not talking about jupaul gardening with a pac salt, if you know what i mean.)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

I believe that Vivi is just thinking about only Spyderco knives and serving this forum group, which seem to be a pretty good group with the "Right stuff".

We have avoided commerce here for all of the obvious reasons. I think that Vivi will probably need some assistance lest he be overwhelmed, but I think he might find it here.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's the idea. A deals forum for the people here, but not hosted here or by Spyderco. That way they are not responsible for anything that goes on there, and the rules will clearly state that as well.

I believe I can set it to private so you need an invitation from me to be allowed to join.

I can also make it a requirement so you have to PM me here when you sign up, so we know someone claiming to be X member on that forum really it that person.
:unicorn
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

On a few guitar forums I frequent they have a BST but usually there are restrictions to members with a certain amount of time and posts, then pending approval.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:03 pm
That's the idea. A deals forum for the people here, but not hosted here or by Spyderco. That way they are not responsible for anything that goes on there, and the rules will clearly state that as well.

I believe I can set it to private so you need an invitation from me to be allowed to join.

I can also make it a requirement so you have to PM me here when you sign up, so we know someone claiming to be X member on that forum really it that person.
This sounds like a pretty good idea.
--Jeremy
Higher

Post by Higher »

I understand Sal, why he wanted to avoid commerce on this forum for so long. If it is limited to Spyderco products then I will support. It should be a good change.
And I am very grateful to Vivi for bringing this up and developing it further. We will have another site where we can shop.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Would be great if we could buy n sell Spyderco knives here.
Matus

Post by Matus »

sal wrote:

sal
That sounds really promising. As a moderator on a different knife forum I know that keeping things straight in BST is not a simple task. One should give the details and the conditions a lot of thought before before a rollout. If there is interest I would be more than happy to share my experience / perspective.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:

Sounds promising. I like the idea of it being a more exclusive group, for trusted forum members.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
archangel

Post by archangel »

vivi wrote:

Sounds very good indeed. Has anyone made experience how to deal with stuff like Customs when you buy/sell used goods from one private person to another internationally (especially US with EU)? Do they even apply? I have no clue...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
blues

Post by blues »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:13 am
Has anyone made experience how to deal with stuff like Customs when you buy/sell used goods from one private person to another internationally (especially US with EU)? Do they even apply? I have no clue...
Anything that crosses the U.S. border at any point of entry or departure is subject to examination, inbound or outbound...random or otherwise, by U.S. Customs or the USPS.

Whether any item is determined to be an issue of some sort depends upon the inspector conducting the examination.

I can't speak to how things are conducted on the European side.
- Retired from the chase -
Higher

Post by Higher »

blues wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:38 am
archangel wrote:
Has anyone made experience how to deal with stuff like Customs when you buy/sell used goods from one private person to another internationally (especially US with EU)? Do they even apply? I have no clue...
Anything that crosses the U.S. border at any point of entry or departure is subject to examination, inbound or outbound...random or otherwise, by U.S. Customs or the USPS.

Whether any item is determined to be an issue of some sort depends upon the inspector conducting the examination.

I can't speak to how things are conducted on the European side.
I am interested in the new feature of this forum. Because not all sellers ship outside of the US.
Yes, this is not a guarantee that everyone will be able to be sent to Europe and Russia. But chances are that someone will do it.
There are usually no problems from our side. I read on this forum that there were problems in Canada. I had problems too. This is exceeding the limits and paying additional fees. But this is the law.
One day a customs officer held up a package of Spyderco knives for me. I went to investigate and the customs did not find any crime. They fiddled with JDSmith for a long time, they wanted to say that this is prohibited. But I was able to explain to them that I am a collector and I can.Otherwise, the package could simply be returned by the seller. I didn't want to bother him.

kobold

Post by kobold »

archangel wrote:
vivi wrote:

Sounds very good indeed. Has anyone made experience how to deal with stuff like Customs when you buy/sell used goods from one private person to another internationally (especially US with EU)? Do they even apply? I have no clue...

They keep changing things and it might vary from country to country, but in general, if the price is less than a certain minimal amount (eg 22 EUR) there is no import tax nor VAT (this might change later this year). If it is less than eg 150 EUR, you only pay VAT, and if it is more, you pay VAT, import tax and customs processing fees as well.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
archangel

Post by archangel »

This also applies for used goods? I mean, one could assume that for example VAT or duties had already been paid once when the initial purchase of a NEW item at a shop was done, or latest upon first import from abroad. A valuable item might be sold ten times. If always across borders, would there be a ten time charge of tax and/or duties? Just as an example.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:44 am
This also applies for used goods? I mean, one could assume that for example VAT or duties had already been paid once when the initial purchase of a NEW item at a shop was done, or latest upon first import from abroad. A valuable item might be sold ten times. If always across borders, would there be a ten time charge of tax and/or duties? Just as an example.
Yes. It does apply to used goods.
Higher

Post by Higher »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:44 am
Sorry, I do not know how with European countries. But here in Russia it does not matter whether the product is new or has been previously used. Now there is a rule that if a parcel costs more than 200 euros, then you have to pay the duty + 15%.
This applies to parcels for individuals.