Paramilitary 2 Trainer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Djvalenc

Paramilitary 2 Trainer

Post by Djvalenc »

I feel like the Paramilitary 2 is one of if not the most popular Spyderco. Wouldn't a Paramilitary 2 in a trainer be great? What are your thoughts? Would you want a trainer in this model? :spyder:
BLUETYPEII

Re: Paramilitary 2 Trainer

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Djvalenc wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:44 pm
I feel like the Paramilitary 2 is one of if not the most popular Spyderco. Wouldn't a Paramilitary 2 in a trainer be great? What are your thoughts? Would you want a trainer in this model? :spyder:

I think Spyderco making a trainer of the Paramilitary 2 and the Military as well is a good idea. I could be wrong but wouldn’t some professionals be more inclined to purchase a knife if a trainer version is available? However you also have to think about the practicality of such a venture.

Seeing other Spyderco trainers we can all assume the pricing of such trainer knives would be comparable to their live blade counterparts. This being said, sales would be the determining factor.

I don’t know if tooling up for something like this would be worth it for Spyderco financially. Seeing as it would be the same knife with just a slightly different blade and color of G-10, maybe tooling changes wouldn’t have to be made but I’m not knowledgeable about such things. Unfortunately like so many knife ideas in the end it all comes down to profitability.

If you’re determined to have a trainer knife that’s not available. You could always modify a live version and make it “safe” for training.

Just my $.02
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Ric

Post by Ric »

Bought a Yojimbo as it's the only compression lock trainer.
Never handled the live version.

To be honest the ergos are off for me.
Spydiehole is not good accessible. Detent is too strong. Weight reduction holes in the blade are too big. I often catch a finger. In blade training with another person it may injure somebody.

I think it's better, as bluetypii said, to convert a live blade.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Djvalenc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Djvalenc

Post by Djvalenc »

I appreciate all of your comments. I agree with "BluetypeII", there would not be much retooling as the trainer knife would use all the same components, only the blade would be different with the tip blunted and no edge. Time and craftsmanship would be save as there would be no edge.

Also, I am planning of making my own trainer from a live blade. I am trying to source a PM2 that may have some defect or damage. I feel like it would be a sin to grind on a perfectly good blade. Lol.