Cat in SPY27?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Cat in SPY27?

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if it would ever be possible for that wonderful Cat to be had in SPY27 and the nice colored G10? I'd buy a couple of them.

(Also, please bring back the jimping)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jdw

Re: Cat in SPY27?

Post by jdw »

You can count me in for a couple if it happens. We've mentioned it before but I think that the Cat may be Spyderco's most underrated knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jdw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:32 am
You can count me in for a couple if it happens. We've mentioned it before but I think that the Cat may be Spyderco's most underrated knife.
x2! The Cat is seriously underrated these days. Especially now that the current model uses BD1N blade steel, it makes it that much more appealing.

Count me in for a SPY27 model too, especially if it's a new color. Although, my preference would be to keep it with no jimping.
-Nick :bug-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

Did Sal design the Cat? I don't think that Spydiewiki credits a designer.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Cat is highly under rated. I have said it time and again, but when I got mine the F&F was better than my first run Chaparral CF and a 1/4 of the price. I've been carrying it all day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm in! The Cat is a mighty handy little carry that punches way above it's weight. I've got both a 440C and a BD1N Cat and would love to see some new variations.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not sure if it would be possible but sounds like a good idea. Except that it would dramatically increase the price of what's considered a value folder
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not sure if it would be possible but sounds like a good idea. Except that it would dramatically increase the price of what's considered a value folder
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Humm, this kind of has me thinking I have been over looking this model.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hambone wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:42 am
Humm, this kind of has me thinking I have been over looking this model.
Yes, you need to get one. It could easily replace a lot of my knives, but I keep it as my travel knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

jdw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 am
Did Sal design the Cat? I don't think that Spydiewiki credits a designer.

Hi Jdw,

Yes, it's one of mine.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm still waiting for the jimping to return before I buy another one.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Never really looked into the Cat, but did just right now:

Really like the design, especially the handle shape! Looks a lot like an a tad smaller (linerlock) Chap or even more like a smaller UKPK with a lock.

But it also makes me wonder when I personally actually would carry a Cat (unless I had to stick to an under 2.5" blade length limit, for that scenario the Cat must be great) over a Chap FRN:
Closed the Cat has practically the same length as the Chap (3.56 to 3.6 " (90mm to 91 mm); but the Cat has a shorter edge (2.13 to 2.35 (54 to 60 mm) ,in a thicker blade (though the 2.5 mm of the Cat are thin enough too!), and the Cat is heavier (2.5 to 2.1 oz)

That being said: If one wants to or needs to stick with a short blade, the design really has a lot going for it: Though I generally prefer backlocks, a good linerlock is just so comfortable and natural to use, even more so than a backlock. And if I had to choose between Cat and Lil Native for example, it looks like the cat would win each day of the week, even over the backlock version of the Lil Native.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Wartstein,
I read in other threads that the Cat & the Urban are a very, very close match. It's been wrote (written?) that the Cat is essentially a locking Urban.

I will say that the Cat is on my list of knives to get. I've got a UKPK Drop point & Para3 LW w/ BD1N steel, and I have no issues with the steel.

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:58 am
Wartstein,
I read in other threads that the Cat & the Urban are a very, very close match. It's been wrote (written?) that the Cat is essentially a locking Urban.

I will say that the Cat is on my list of knives to get. I've got a UKPK Drop point & Para3 LW w/ BD1N steel, and I have no issues with the steel.

u.w.

Thanks! Right, looking at the knives the Cat seems to be even closer to the Urban than to the UKPK.
Though the Urban is more space efficient than the Cat: Actually a bit shorter when closed, but still more blade

/ BD1N is really good imho!! I feel it sharpens even easier than VG10 to an extremely sharp edge (I am not a steel or sharpening expert at all though)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Man, I am a big lil native fan, so hearing some of the stuff above has me all over picking up a Cat... and maybe I need to look at an urban too. 🤦‍♂️Lol
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Urban has a 2.61" blade. The Cat is more friendly to areas restricted to 2.5" or less in blade length at 2.438 " (62mm).

The Cat started out as a Carbon Fiber S30V knife. Because they had quality control problems they changed over to G10 and 440C in 2011 and that fixed the issue. That is when I got mine, I think. The change really had great fit and finish. The steel choice was only so so, but everything else was great. I think it is time for the Cat to grow back up, again. Different color G10 and SPY27 would be just the ticket.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:37 pm
The Urban has a 2.61" blade. The Cat is more friendly to areas restricted to 2.5" or less in blade length at 2.438 " (62mm).

Yes, the Cat sure will be great for such areas! :)

But without having such limits I´d probably always take a Chap (or Urban or UKPK) over a Cat.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:55 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

But without having such limits I´d probably always take a Chap (or Urban or UKPK) over a Cat.
Try one. It is really a tough call. I am not a fan of liner locks, but I live with it on this knife because it is so good in every other way. This knife has a really thin blade, tapering down to the edge from the spine. It slices extremely well. Plus, it has a real splinter picker point. It is sharp and stabby like a cat's claw.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:55 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Try one. It is really a tough call. I am not a fan of liner locks, but I live with it on this knife because it is so good in every other way. This knife has a really thin blade, tapering down to the edge from the spine. It slices extremely well. Plus, it has a real splinter picker point. It is sharp and stabby like a cat's claw.

Doc, I would certainly like to try one but tbh not actually buy one at this point... for me the Chap is tiny already, has an even thinner blade and a backlock, so the Cat with its almost exact same closed size, but shorter and still thicker blade is not too appealing to me in comparison.
If I was a small knife guy though I´d certainly get one additionally to the Chap and Delica I own already! Even more so since I happen to really like well made linerlocks. Overall I still prefer backlocks, but in some aspects a linerlock is even better.