DLT Exclusive OD Green G10 / DLC S90V PM2 Available March 30th @ 11:00 AM CST

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: DLT Exclusive OD Green G10 / DLC S90V PM2 Available March 30th @ 11:00 AM CST

Post by nerdlock »

Looks like DLT will be reissuing this one again - at a MUCH LOWER PRICE of $175! Go figure...
😳

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Brock O Lee

Re: DLT Exclusive OD Green G10 / DLC S90V PM2 Available March 30th @ 11:00 AM CST

Post by Brock O Lee »

That is a sweeet combo! Just a pity their shipping alone to Aus is just less than $100. No can do.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jacala

Post by jacala »

I'm still hurting from the last one I bought.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am not a huge fan of the PM2 but this is the version that I probably regret selling the most. I will try to get one but I wonder if this will be an exclusive free for all or if there will actually be time to buy one since it’s a re-release?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am betting that similar to the Purple Cruwear Exclusive that this one will have all blacked out hardware. First run did not, but the 2nd run did. Maybe DLTJordan could chime in. When the 2nd run was announced, they used old photos of uncoated spacers and lock bar, but later corrected it to match the change in the 2nd run.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This one I need to think about . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 am
I am betting that similar to the Purple Cruwear Exclusive that this one will have all blacked out hardware. First run did not, but the 2nd run did. Maybe DLTJordan could chime in. When the 2nd run was announced, they used old photos of uncoated spacers and lock bar, but later corrected it to match the change in the 2nd run.

Good point. Blacked out liners at a lesser price? Those who missed out on the first run ought to get one of these. Mine is one of the few PM2s that I kept in my collection.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:19 am
JSumm wrote:

Good point. Blacked out liners at a lesser price? Those who missed out on the first run ought to get one of these. Mine is one of the few PM2s that I kept in my collection.
I am on the fence on this one. Would you get this or the PM2 Cruwear brown micarta one? I am not a fan of DLC, epically on a stainless blade but S90V is a better steel for a EDC folding knife.

Cruwear/Brown Macarta:
+Looks better (to me)
+No DLC
+Rave reviews on fit and finish
+Easy to sharpen
-Not stainless
-Only okay edge retention
-Probably wont need Cruwear toughness in a folder

S90V / Green G-10, Black DLC
+Awesome edge retention
+Stainless
+Looks decent
-DLC on a stainless blade (DLC = Scratches and cleaning for me)
-Cruwear version looks better to me
-Can chip

What is everyone's thoughts? Am I the only one comparing the two? I am hoping for black liners would help the knife look better.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I wouldnt call $7 a much lower price but that is still interesting.

Im good since I have the original. Which is obviously $7 better.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think I'd take this one over the Cruwear. I had this back when it was S30V steel and sold it a few years ago, but that is one awesome looking knife...and with S90V, it makes it that much sweeter! Great price as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:49 am
nerdlock wrote:
JSumm wrote:

I am on the fence on this one. Would you get this or the PM2 Cruwear brown micarta one? I am not a fan of DLC, epically on a stainless blade but S90V is a better steel for a EDC folding knife.

Cruwear/Brown Macarta:
+Looks better (to me)
+No DLC
+Easy to sharpen
-Not stainless

+Awesome edge retention
+Stainless
+Looks decent
-Can chip

What is everyone's thoughts? Am I the only one comparing the two? I am hoping for black liners would help the knife look better.
I'd go with S90V. My subjective take:

- looks better
- worlds more corrosion resistant (it's an edc pocket knife, stuff happens)
- superior edge holding
- plenty of toughness for a 3" blade pocket knife (any steel can chip, even stuff like cruwear. heck I managed to chip an S7 chopper batoning it through a braided steel cable. every material has its limits)

DLC doesn't scratch in my experience. This Para 2 was used hard as a work knife for half a decade for reference:

DLC =/= other black blade coatings. It's harder than the steel the blade is made of. If anything, it will scratch stuff, but stuff won't scratch it. The only thing I've managed to scratch DLC with is getting sloppy towards the tip on coarse diamond sharpening stones. But that's diamond....
:unicorn
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:10 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
JSumm wrote:

Cruwear/Brown Macarta:
+Looks better (to me)
+No DLC
+Easy to sharpen
-Not stainless

+Awesome edge retention
+Stainless
+Looks decent
-Can chip

- looks better
- superior edge holding
- plenty of toughness for a 3" blade pocket knife (any steel can chip, even stuff like cruwear. heck I managed to chip an S7 chopper batoning it through a braided steel cable. every material has its limits)

DLC doesn't scratch in my experience. This Para 2 was used hard as a work knife for half a decade for reference:

DLC =/= other black blade coatings. It's harder than the steel the blade is made of. If anything, it will scratch stuff, but stuff won't scratch it. The only thing I've managed to scratch DLC with is getting sloppy towards the tip on coarse diamond sharpening stones. But that's diamond....
Thank you for the pictures and feed back on the DLC. I think I just had a bad taste in my mouth from the 30 year ago painted on coats that would look like ***** after a few months. I saw the picture at the beginning of this forum and it is more flattering than the one now on their site. Short them both in person it will be like flipping a coin. I just got the REC Manix and it looks a lot better in person. I was not so sure from the pictures alone.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If I were in the market for a Para 2 I could see myself being happy with either. The cruwear Paras really are put together very well....but I think S90V would make a better EDC steel for me.

There's a lot of different coatings out there. A lot of cheaper fixed blades used those thick, textured baked on coatings, and a lot of low end folders use painted on coatings. That will show wear after one or two hard use sessions.

DLC on the other hand can stay looking good for years and years.
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

This one might be a go for me
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:15 am
If I were in the market for a Para 2 I could see myself being happy with either. The cruwear Paras really are put together very well....but I think S90V would make a better EDC steel for me.

There's a lot of different coatings out there. A lot of cheaper fixed blades used those thick, textured baked on coatings, and a lot of low end folders use painted on coatings. That will show wear after one or two hard use sessions.

DLC on the other hand can stay looking good for years and years.
Except for looks, is there any advantage to a DLC on a stainless blade?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Scratch resistance maybe?? I've got fine scratches on a lot of my satin blades, but almost all of my DLC blades still look great.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:10 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
JSumm wrote:

Cruwear/Brown Macarta:
+Looks better (to me)
+No DLC
+Easy to sharpen
-Not stainless

+Awesome edge retention
+Stainless
+Looks decent
-Can chip

- looks better
- superior edge holding

What's your bevel angle on that PM2? Looks less than 10 DPS.
--Pete
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:36 am

Pocket full of OD! Mine also came with a sheet for the REC 204P FDE PM2 instead of one specific to this exclusive - I’m betting DLT isn’t terribly pleased with that! ;)
Good looking Manix.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I thought I would just point out DLTs other pm2 exclusives say they are in stock. Tan 20cv dlc and purple cruwear dlc.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:58 am
I thought I would just point out DLTs other pm2 exclusives say they are in stock. Tan 20cv dlc and purple cruwear dlc.
Both with black liners....

Are DLTs knives not as neat/cool as RECs? The green and black PM2 seems pretty cool but the REC stuff sells out in minutes.