New here. Bought my first Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

New here. Bought my first Spyderco!

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I'm not new to the knife game but am new to spydercos. I just bought a Caly 3.5 with CF scales. My only concern is the back lock on the knife. In my experience these type of locks are prone to producing blade play. Any input is greatly appreciated and I'm excited to receive my spyder :spyder: :)

Thank you
Randy
Stay sharp!
Salty Dog

Re: New here. Bought my first Spyderco!

Post by Salty Dog »

Welcome aboard Randy!
Congrats on the call, I havnt handled on so I cant give you any feedback on that..
Ive got 2 native 5s, no blade play in either, both are rock solid, got a tiny bit of play in my dragonfly, up and down, but its not enough to create any drama.
Welcome to the spyderco family bro.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Welcome Randy! Pretty nice first Spyderco you grabbed there! I've been around here for a few years now and for some reason that model hasn't been talked about/shown too often. I think mainly because it's been around for a while, before I came along. I've never heard anything bad about it regarding the lock though.

I don't really have much to add, more so just wanted to say hello!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome! :)

Great first Spyderco!! Actually the Caly 3.5 is almost on top of my "want to try" list - and there are rumors about an upcoming Caly 3 5 lightweight... :rolleyes:

/ On the lock: The backlock is by far my favorite lock for several reasons. Most backlocks will have a (tiny) bit of up and down play (or actually lock rock) that I personally don't mind at all and that does not impair function by any means.
Though the only Golden (=US made) backlock I had (Native) was and remained rock solid, and so is my taiwanese made Chaparral... don't know about the Caly, but I am sure folks who actually have one will weigh in!

Anyway, enjoy it! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PS: Should your follow up posts not show up:
See here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Great choice in a first Spyderco! Welcome aboard.

Do not be concerned with lock backs. In order to function, there will be some play.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Back locks are the strongest locks, overall, and if there is a little up and down when pressing hard, no worries, the lock is fine. If there is side to side play, that is not a back lock issue. All knives can have that, but should not.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Welcome, and enjoy our exquisit company! ;)

Also, be prepared to spend more money on knives by the best knife making Co. in the world! :)

I personally don't own a Caly yet - hey, you're ahead of me there! :D I'll get one eventually, it's on my short list.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome! Gorgeous first spyderco. Some like backlocks and some don't. In my experience there is usually a bit of vertical play w them but never stopped me from any cutting nor bothered me too much. I usually forget its there. Let's see how long it takes you to get to 20 spydercos! Sooo addictive with all the cool steel to try. Cheers
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome to the addiction! That's a really nice knife.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Thank you guys! My next spyderco will probably be a CF manix 2 or manix 2 xl. Have not decided yet.
Stay sharp!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Welcome. I don’t want to burst your buble but all my Caly 3.5s had some vertical play. I am kinda OCD so I sold them all but one. Some folks seem to consider vertical blade play in backlocks to be “normal” but not me. Maybe you’ll have more luck with yours. I am not a backlock guy anyway but hey, to each his own.That being said, Caly3.5 is an awesome design. I only hope the upcoming LW Caly3.5 will have a rock solid backlock with no vertical play.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome! It's a great knife and congratulations on your score. There are a lot of really nice and really knowledgeable people on this board and I hope that you enjoy the company!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome to the forum, that's an intersting pick for a first Spyderco, very sophisticated!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:35 pm
Welcome to the forum, that's an intersting pick for a first Spyderco, very sophisticated!
Well to be honest I am a knife snob lol.
Stay sharp!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Welcome to the forum! This may be your first Spyderco, but it won't be your last!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome! A tiny bit of up-and-down play is normal with backlocks. I've owned multiple Golden-, Seki-, and Chinese-made Spyderco backlock knives and they have all had it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Hey Randy,

Welcome! You have good taste, the ZDP189 Caly 3.5 is a superb model - one of Sal’s best designs IMHO.

Mine has a hint of up and down play, but not so much that it bothers me at all. The adjustable pivot means that side to side play won’t be an issue.

I sanded the edges of the CF scales so they’re a bit rounded over, which increases the handling comfort for my purposes. And I’ve thinned out the edge as is my habit.

It’s a wonderful, comfortable knife to use, in an outstanding steel. I tend to carry mine as a ‘suit knife’ for occasions when I’m dressed up. :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Randy,

Welcome aboard! Hope you stick around awhile - lots to learn here.

I wouldn't worry too much about the back lock or blade play - the knife wouldn't have left the factory with any issues which prevent it from locking up solid.

Great knife, and a great first Spyderco.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Higher

Post by Higher »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:48 am
I'm not new to the knife game but am new to spydercos. ...
Randy
Randy, welcome!
The atmosphere here is very friendly. We are glad that you are with us.
Your knife is very beautiful, like all Spyderco. But the Caly is especially nice. You shouldn't have to worry about lock. It is reliable.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.